french road maps

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
hi, could anyone recommend the best map of france to purchase, the one we had last year was so poor, the road numbers did not coresspond with the actual roads, and yes we got lost lots of times, i believe that the french do tend to change their road numbers quite often, but we would like to buy the best up to date one, could anyone help, thanks j&j

May 18, 2006
Visit site
The re-numbering of the French roads has been ongoing for a couple of years. Different regions do things at different speeds, so you will probably not get an up to date map for the whole of France until all the road changes have been completed.

All you can do is get a map for 2008 and try to plan your route using place names if you can.

Sites like Mappy.com are good for up to date maps, if you can plan a route using that.

We use the AA 2008 3rd edition BIG EASY READ map which is nice and easy to read.

HTH.

Graeme.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jean

Have used Michelin maps since first going to France in 1988. Never let me down and very easy to read. I currently have the 2008 Tourist and Motoring book. About

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Another fan of Michelin maps, especially the Road Atlas, the larger version is better than the more compact sized one. Re road renumbering it seems,from what I have seen, they are retaining the original number but putting a 9 in front plus a D designation. So the old N43 is now the D943!

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Road re-numbering is pretty haphazard with most of the major signs being changed but not the kilometer marker stones as yet.

I agree Michelin is about as good as you will get. if you know your route look at www.viamichelin.com where you can plan the route in detail and get a print showing the signs as they are (or should be).

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Road re-numbering is pretty haphazard with most of the major signs being changed but not the kilometer marker stones as yet.

I agree Michelin is about as good as you will get. if you know your route look at www.viamichelin.com where you can plan the route in detail and get a print showing the signs as they are (or should be).
thanks for the web site info, its excellent, regards jean

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts