French sites open in winter,in the south,and points inbetween

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Dear All,We are thinking of taking our large,twin-axle caravan to southern France(Med.area)this coming Nov.- Feb. to try and find some sun,as we are not keen on Spain!Our towing vehicle is a Land Rover(with a poor turning circle).Could anyone help with:

a) sites open throughout France in winter/spring?

b)recommended cheap crossings,as we are o.a,ps and not well-off?

c)sites with large,easy access and large pitches,preferably with at LEAST 10 amp.hook-up? We live in Lincs.

Many thanks.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think you'll get hot sun in the south of France from November to February. It may be warm in sheltered spots, for parts of the day, but generally it's not an area to go looking for the sun. Also many French sites are not open all year so you're not going to have the same choice you would have in Spain.

I think Le Vielle Ferme is open all year - check out their website - http://www.vieilleferme.com/ for details.

If you really want the sun then you may have to go much further south - and Spain seems to be the choice of many (or Portugal).

Norfolk Lines Dover to Dunkerque is probably the cheapest crossing - although if you have a Tesco loyalty card you can exchange your vouchers for 'deals' and use them towards the cost of a Eurotunnel crossing.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Sorry, meant to add you can search for Open all Year sites, near to the major routes through France on

http://users.telenet.be/leo.huybrechts/camp1.htm- those open all year are coloured in red.

Les Cerisiers du Jaur (http://www.cerisierdujaur.com)is another Open All year site. Both this site, and Le Vielle Ferme, mentioned above, take Camping Cheques (see http://www.alanrogers.com/directory/download.html) for the directory - opening dates are given for each site. These sites will cost just

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Agree with Val that finding good weather in south of France at the times you mention may not be easy or reliable. You don't say why you are not keen on Spain but it is possible to get down to the south east corner - the most reliably sunny spot - without going through the major traffic congestion areas (Madrid and Barcelona). See the thread about routes on this same topic.

Also sites in either country with more than 10 amps are fairly few and far between. In some books they may be listed as - say -16 amps simply because they have the round 3 pin connections (rated at 16amp. maximum) that we are used to seeing on UK sites. Unfortunately although the outlet may appear the same the breaker or fuse backing it will more likely be 6 amps or even less. If this is a vital requirement then I suggest you check directly with the site before going there.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
From Jacky-re sites open all year in France.

Many thanks to Val A. and Ray S.(Moderator) We have been before to Spain over winter and didn't like the campsites,pitches too small,trees in the way lamp posts et cetera.Found it VERY difficult with our 8 metres length caravan!!Have lived in France some years back and know about sites not being open in the winter.Probably to do with the high french taxes,one reason anyway,we know.We also know it won't be hot there,but my husband likes the sun(probably because he's a Geordie,and we came from Yorkshire!).I don't like it too hot,being a typical,pale English "rose".Hope to go to the south of France end of this month,as it's my husband's birthday middle of June.Thus wil look at websites that you have given us.Will try Norfolk Line and route via Rouens/Orleans/Clermont Ferrand etc. Recommended campsite info. (for long caravans and poor turning circle) would be MUCH appreciated!!Merci beaucoup! Jacky P.S. sorry for delayed response,have never used a "forum" before and not sure what to do.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Hi Jacky - take a look at the ACSI website (www.campingcard.com) and the Camping Cheques website (www.campingcheque.co.uk) - both offer lower prices for campsites than the sites' own tariffs. ACSI between 11 and 15 euros for two people, car, caravan, awning and electricity, and Camping Cheques at

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts