Fresh water Question

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
A novice when it comes to caravanning, so please bear with me.

We have yet to purchase an aquaroll/waterhog, not yet decided on which. We have the Truma Ultralow compact system and have seen a few videos on youtube comparing the Truma connector and the Whale connector to get fresh water into the van from an external source. One question that I and my OH has pondered, is the pump on the end of these that you put into the aquaroll/waterhog. How does it work? Do we need an electrical supply to feed it? In all the videos we have seen, no-one explains how this works! Hopefully an experience caravanner will enlighten us and put us out of our dilemna

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
cazzbah said:

We have yet to purchase an aquaroll/waterhog, not yet decided on which. We have the Truma Ultralow compact system and have seen a few videos on youtube comparing the Truma connector and the Whale connector to get fresh water into the van from an external source. One question that I and my OH has pondered, is the pump on the end of these that you put into the aquaroll/waterhog. How does it work? Do we need an electrical supply to feed it? In all the videos we have seen, no-one explains how this works! Hopefully an experience caravanner will enlighten us and put us out of our dilemna

Hi there.

The two systems you mention will both work on the same basic principal. The water pump is a submersible design and is freed to the free end of the hose that drops into the water container. The other end plugs into a fitting on the side of the caravan. The plug makes both the water and electrical connections for the pump.

This type of pump needs to be dropped into the water before it's connected to the caravan to ensure it by as no air locks. You must also make sure it doesn't run dry. The pump uses an impeller rotating in a centrifugal chamber.

Some caravans have an onboard pump, which uses a displacement chamber. These pumps are noisier, and can vibrate. But they are self priming.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi cazzbah, as an extra to The Profs wise words, we have a Coachman with the truma submersible pupp. With this its always advisable to put the pump into the Aqua roll first and then connect to the caravan, so the pump does't have an air lock. . I don't tell the boss, but After dropping the pump in I give the end connector a good suck, as if you were siphoning fuel, in the old days.
Ok Woosies, no comments thank you. :angry:

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I don't tell the boss, but After dropping the pump in I give the end connector a good suck, as if you were siphoning fuel, in the old days.

Mmmmm !! As if any of us would Hutch, what do think of us ?? :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
EH52ARH said:
I don't tell the boss, but After dropping the pump in I give the end connector a good suck, as if you were siphoning fuel, in the old days.

Mmmmm !! As if any of us would Hutch, what do think of us ?? :p

Didn't get away after all, Elaine had tooth Extraction, then weather so back bedroom 3/4 done, hope the weather is better for you next weekend,at Barnard C. Do you use the new CC site. ?did you ever get my email address ?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Cazzbah, sorry sometime then thread goes lateral. , it will come back.
We always carry a spare subersible pump, as a just in case. As we shower in the van.

Mar 18, 2018
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
cazzbah said:

Hi there.

The two systems you mention will both work on the same basic principal. The water pump is a submersible design and is freed to the free end of the hose that drops into the water container. The other end plugs into a fitting on the side of the caravan. The plug makes both the water and electrical connections for the pump.

This type of pump needs to be dropped into the water before it's connected to the caravan to ensure it by as no air locks. You must also make sure it doesn't run dry. The pump uses an impeller rotating in a centrifugal chamber.

Some caravans have an onboard pump, which uses a displacement chamber. These pumps are noisier, and can vibrate. But they are self priming.

Ahhh, at last, my OH will be relieved when I tell him. Thank you so much all of you.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The connector for whichever water system is fitted to your caravan should come with the caravan, check that it is present before you hook up and drive away from the dealers because replacements can be expensive.
When you collect your caravan the dealer should do a proper handover, so that you can check that everything is working and that all of the peripheral equipment such as the external water connection, electric hook up lead and caravan step are all present and correct.
After such a cold winter it's important to check the water system because if the caravan has been stored outdoors and the water system and also the toilet header tank were not properly drained the cold weather could have caused damage.
There's a good pre-acceptance caravan check list Here (with thanks to Caravan Talk)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts