Fridge help

Aug 22, 2018
Visit site
New to all this, fridge previously worked. However taken van away for first time this year (late I know!!)
Got ehu plugged into van, as soon as I turn fridge to mains feed it trips the main board switch in the caravan. (I’ve never used gas, and would rather not).
I’ve got a column of 10amp fuses, but think ehu is 14.
Lights and sockets all work, but water pump isn’t.
We are able to get by within these constraints but need to know how to start sorting....
Thanks in advance,
Andy.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum andcha. If the fuses in the caravan are not blowing I would try another hook up if possible to see if the fault is there as the caravan ones should blow first in normal circumstances. I assume that you do not have anything else running at the time and that the hook up is definately 14 amps. Using the fridge on gas is just as good if you have to and I would do that. The fridge does not use a lot of gas and I would not worry about it.
Not sure what the caravan is but I have come across this problem on a Bailey but do not know how it was resolved. If you give us the make and model someone might have met it before.
Is the pump simply dead, if so I would check the fuse and if that is not blown I suspect the pump has gone. If it is a drop in type try borrowing someone elses, if possible, and see if that works. You will then know if it is the pump or the wiring.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
The water pump is 12v so running off the battery - if other 12v items like lights work then it is possible that the pump fuse has blown or that the pump is simply jammed - can you unplug it and get to the impeller to turn it manually a few rotations then plug it in and try again - or do you have a mate with a caravan so you can borrow a similar pump to try? If it is a whale pressure system does the screw on the back of the water intake need adjustment? Visit the Whale website for an easy to follow instruction on adjustment - printable for future reference!
The systems are completely separate, and provided the battery is charged you should get pumps and the 12v lights yo work without ehu. (ONce connected the battery charge is maintained from the ehu). The sockets then would not work until the ehu was connected. Does the mains trip when other electrical items are used or is it just the fridge? That should sort out if it is the fridge itself or an issue with the ehu cable or mains system. Understandably the trips are very sensitive, and the caravan should trip before the bollard on site.
Good hunting!

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
There's some confusion here.
For a start do you mean a Miniature Circuit Breaker (MCB) has tripped or the RCD - looks similar but has a test button on it?
If it is the RCD that is tripping then you have a wiring problem or a fault on the fridge and it needs to be investigated by an electrician - those sort of faults can be difficult to bottom.
If it is a MCB that is tripping then something is drawing too much current. Look on the front of the MCB that is tripping and see what it is rated - 6A, 10A, or 16A. The 6A usually feeds the 12V power supply or battery charger (whichever your van has,) the fridge, and the water heater; the 10A or 16A (again whichever is fitted) feeds the 13A sockets, the microwave and the room heating. In caravans with Alde wet heating both water and room heating is provided by one unit which will be on the 10/16A MCB. The microwave is usually connected by a 13A plug in the cupboard at the side of it, and if you have such as a Truma room heater that runs off gas or electricity for heating (any fan will be 12V) that too is usually plugged in to a 13A socket somewhere nearby.
As others have said, in most caravans made in the last, say, 15 years or so all lighting, the water pump, cooker spark ignition, radio, and aerial amp all run off 12V. Some modern fridges need 12V to make the control system work even if using mains or gas to do the cooling. Ergo if the water pump is not working then it is a 12V issue.

If the pump is external and drops into you Aquaroll then checking for the presence of 12V on the contacts feeding 12V to the pump (with a tap turned on) will indicate if it is a caravan or a pump problem. If the pump is internal then you probably have a Whale pressurised system in which case there will be a pressure switch that operates the pump somewhere near said pump with a knob on the top to adjust it.

If you don't have one a simple and inexpensive digital voltmeter (DVM) is a great asset with such problems. You can also get a pen-like device which will light up and make a sound when held adjacent to a live mains wire - very useful not least to find out if a plugtop fuse has blown.

Finally talking of fuses, the fridge if it is under counter will draw around 120W, if it is the larger tall type it will pull nearer 170W - and it draws that much power from mains or from 12V when towing. If the fridge is plugged in it should have a 3A fuse in the plug. The microwave will draw about 1.5KW which will need a 13A fuse as will the room heater.

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hi andcha,
Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your water pump query. Contact details below.
Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: info@whalepumps.com
Alternatively, send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call.
Best wishes
Hayley

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Whale said:
Hi andcha,
Please contact our Customer Support Team who will do all they can to assist you with your water pump query. Contact details below.
Tel: 02891 270531 (weekdays) or 0845 217 2933 (weekends)
Email: info@whalepumps.com
Alternatively, send me the best number to get you on in a private message and I will get one of our team to give you a call.
Best wishes
Hayley

Hayley, and others, on the Whale team, thank you so much for your responses on this website. .
Best regards, Hutch.

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Another + from me for Whale, very reassuring and I'm impressed that they keep their eye on customer concerns, well done Hayley and the team.

P.S. How about a discount for PC forum members? :p

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Anseo said:
Another + from me for Whale, very reassuring and I'm impressed that they keep their eye on customer concerns, well done Hayley and the team.

Typical Scot, by the way , have you got your visa, I will sponsor you. :angry:

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Anseo said:

Typical Scot, by the way , have you got your visa, I will sponsor you. :angry:

Visas cost money, I'll take some back roads in the dead of night with my car lights switched OFF.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts