Fridge light not working

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have a Thetford N97 fridge, and the light has stoped working. I have checked the bulb and it works fine. I've been told that it is likely to be the reed switch? Is this a straightforward job? That I could do. Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s quite a common problem. I’ve lived with it not working as the fridge isn’t that large and it’s easy to find stuff in it.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I found the following on Caravan Chronicles: https://caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/refrigeration-repair-instructions.pdf
Just over half way through there are some instructions to replace a reed switch, not for the model you have, but for a N180, I don't know if this may be of help to you?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Niall_McIntosh said:
I found the following on Caravan Chronicles: https://caravanchronicles.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/refrigeration-repair-instructions.pdf
Just over half way through there are some instructions to replace a reed switch, not for the model you have, but for a N180, I don't know if this may be of help to you?

Thank you. That’s a useful link which whilst not directly the same as my fridge is 90% commonality. I came across a YouTube video where the chap was going to replace the reed switch but when he eventually realised it would mean removing the fridge and disconnecting the gas pipework he came to the same conclusion as me. The fridge isn’t that large and a light is a nice to have.

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I did notice that some of the photos showed the 'fridge removed from its location but, as I am not familiar with this model, I did not know how big a job this would be.

I have just noticed that it also says "This needs to be done by a qualified competent gas engineer." Which almost certainly takes it out of the remit of most DIYers.

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi thanks for that, as it happens I am a gas engineer, so I wasn't to worried about that bit, it's more the location of said switch and the part needed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For your information, a NG gas certificate does not cover an engineer or fitter for working on domestic LPG appliances and installations. It is a separate accreditation.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts