Fridge not keeping cool while towing

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
All,
Do other people experience poor performance (basically rubbish) of their Caravan fridge while towing?
I know why it is so poor but I’m curious if other people have same problem. I’m on my second car/Caravan outfit but disappointed to find the same poor performance. I plan to modify (again!) to make it work.
Thanks.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
Are you cooling it down to temperature before towing, on gas or mains? Whilst your fridge will work when hooked up to the car (and ignition on) via the 12v system, it'll take forever to get cool from ambient temperature.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would check that the car is wired up for the fridge as if you do not ask for it when the towbar is fitted then you might not get it. I would also check to see if it is working when hitched if yours allows this. Ours has a warning buzzer to tell you if it is switched on and there is no power but you need the car engine running to check.
The car will not cool the fridge, but should maintain the low temperature when towing if it is cooled first but that is all. A couple of ice blocks in with the food does help, and do remember it only works with the engine running so if you open it when you stop you will lose some of the cooling effect.

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
In a word no. If I drive for more than an hour there is frost forming in my freezer and the fridge is cool. Bailey Senator S5. My previous Pageant was the same. This is from picking the van up from storage at ambient temps. No pre cooling.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No problem, "Now" with our Thetford 2013 model, but we cool,it at home on gas at first for 1/2 hour, then switch to electric. And always found the fridge works fine whilst travelling, longest trip, in one go about 8 hours to 10 hours. With break stops.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
One of the main reasons for poor fridge performance when on tow is inadequate wiring from the car to the caravan. Wiring needs to be of at least 2mmsquare and preferably coming straight from the car's power supply. Some so-called experts skimp and take a loop from any handy supply in the boot area.

I wired my own car's sockets and took two 17amp cables from the car's battery into fuses then down the length of the car and on to the relay in the boot. Although I always switch on the fridge the previous day to going away, the fridge keeps frozen items very cold. .

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
The issue I have as mentioned in the replies, poor vehicle / Caravan wiring combined with a Euro 6 vehicle. On many Euro 6 vehicles once the starter battery is recharged, the alternator goes into ‘idle’ mode, all controlled by the ECU. In idle mode the ECU reduces the alternator output voltage to 13.4volts and then due to voltage drop through the car and Caravan I have 10.49volts at the terminal at the fridge. (Voltages measured by my Calibrated Fluke multimeter)
Two solutions: One is to use a Sterling Power ‘Wildside’ Voltage buck, second way using 16mm cable and Anderson Plug.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Bladerunner said:
. On many Euro 6 vehicles once the starter battery is recharged, the alternator goes into ‘idle’ mode, all controlled by the ECU. .

Yes - I can see that. But if the caravan fridge is being powered directly from the battery, surely the ECU won't see the battery as being fully charged since it's still sending voltage to the fridge so the alternator will still continue at full output.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Bladerunner said:
The issue I have as mentioned in the replies, poor vehicle / Caravan wiring combined with a Euro 6 vehicle. On many Euro 6 vehicles once the starter battery is recharged, the alternator goes into ‘idle’ mode, all controlled by the ECU. In idle mode the ECU reduces the alternator output voltage to 13.4volts and then due to voltage drop through the car and Caravan I have 10.49volts at the terminal at the fridge. (Voltages measured by my Calibrated Fluke multimeter)
Two solutions: One is to use a Sterling Power ‘Wildside’ Voltage buck, second way using 16mm cable and Anderson Plug.

One of the reasons you need to use the manufacturers wiring kit and make sure the ECU has been told you tow. Then it will keep the alternator running and will also cancel stop/start if you have it.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
[/quote]One of the reasons you need to use the manufacturers wiring kit and make sure the ECU has been told you tow. Then it will keep the alternator running and will also cancel stop/start if you have it.[/quote]
+1
Have, until now, used bypass relays, always had trouble with them. My last motor was written off just before the last bank holiday, so fitted dedicated wiring to my new motor. Can't get my head round the fact that the car now recognises when the van is hooked up. whatever the systems that the car has are now linked ESP, AF Lighting, reversing lights, fog lights, indicators warnings ect, all linked as one. Only three connections made.

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
I thought the same but not with my outfit, after a while (not sure the exact duration) even with the fridge on the voltage drops to idle. Stopping the engine and then restarting doesn’t reset the cycle, it goes straight to idle mode; only on a cold start do you see full voltage 14.45v

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
The towbar and 13pin socket are factory fit. Once Caravan is plugged in the reverse sensor is switched off, indicators recognise Caravan lights working, reversing camera shows a trailer symbol. Interestingly the fridge supply isn’t active until the vehicle recognised that a trailer / Caravan has been plugged in. No Caravan/ trailer connected pin 10 doesn’t go +ve.
When I picked up my new vehicle, the fridge and hibination relay (in caravan) didn’t work, I return it to the dealership where an additional part of the loom was fitted and ECU updated.
Ford have confirmed my vehicle is fully set up for using a Caravan.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Most cars detect the connection of a trailer/caravan by the presence of the rear fog light as it is the only single circuit lamp and as reversing lights are not mandatory.

Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
We had the same problem - even though the car (BMW) was to UK spec the fridge circuit was not wired in at the factory; apparently our continental cousins don't have their fridges on while towing. Had to get the dealer to rewire the whole circuit.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts