Fridge problem still not working

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
So the problem goes on. This is what I've done so far, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Having quite a struggle to get the fridge out as it was stuck in with some very sticky black stuff, I tried the upside down trick and left it over night. I then tested the heater element and convinced myself it was duff, managed to get a new one off eBay for £30, good value I thought, put that in, also tested the thermo, tested ok. Switched it on. I could hear a slight gurgling of liquid from the pipes, so thought things were on the move. The bottom half of the system was getting hot so I left it like this for a few hours. Checked it again but alas, no different, it still isn't cooling. I then gently tapped all the pipes with a hammer, to see if that would dislodge any blockage in the system, but that didn't work. So all in all a failure, unless one of you guys can help with something I haven't tried.
Looking at a replacement new one and we're talking of £800, my wife went a funny colour when I mentioned this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bikeral77 said:
So the problem goes on. This is what I've done so far, any suggestions will be appreciated.
Having quite a struggle to get the fridge out as it was stuck in with some very sticky black stuff, I tried the upside down trick and left it over night. I then tested the heater element and convinced myself it was duff, managed to get a new one off eBay for £30, good value I thought, put that in, also tested the thermo, tested ok. Switched it on. I could hear a slight gurgling of liquid from the pipes, so thought things were on the move. The bottom half of the system was getting hot so I left it like this for a few hours. Checked it again but alas, no different, it still isn't cooling. I then gently tapped all the pipes with a hammer, to see if that would dislodge any blockage in the system, but that didn't work. So all in all a failure, unless one of you guys can help with something I haven't tried.
Looking at a replacement new one and we're talking of £800, my wife went a funny colour when I mentioned this.

Hello Bikeral

Just a house keeping note first, As this post relates to your previous postings it would have been helpful to just add it to the original thread, as I have just had search fro it to find out whats already been posted.

Now to your problem, The absorption process used in the caravan fridges uses a heat source to drive process, That's great for caravans because it allows it to be multi fueled. so If the fridge works on one or two fuels but not on the third, it points to gear associated with that particular fuel.

If however the fridge fails to work on all three fuels, then it points to refrigeration circuit. and this seems to be whats happeneing in your case.

As these units get older there can be a problem with debris inside the refrigeration circuit, or the constituent gasses used may start to separate, In both these cases what you have done is likely to clear the problem, but it does not seem to have helped,

That leaves us with the other problem that is often age related, the coolant circuit may have lost some of its critical gasses though a leak. Often leaks can be detected by a smell of ammonia but a small leak can often go undetected becasue it will vent to the out side, especially if the fridge has been properly sealed into the furniture as yours seems to have been.

If the circuit has been compromised, then it is usually irreparable, becasue the system is sealed without filling ports. However I do recall that on a previous similar thread someone did claim there was a UK company that does refill these fridges, but I have no information about them or how successful they are.

What I do know is cocktails of chemicals used in the fridges is different to those used in air Conditioning systems, so its no good asking your local garage to try.

I have heard of people that have changed the whole refrigerant system form a secondhand fridge, but I don;t know how easy that is as you cannot break the pipes without loosing the refrigerant and allowing contamination from getting in.

I believe there is a company in the UK that claims to be able to repair and refil the system - Unfortunately I don't know who they are - and I don't know how successfull they are. The cocktail of gasses need is quite special and its not the same as used in air conditioning systems

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Thank you Prof. John, I am coming to terms with this diagnosis, even though I can't see any visible signs of any leakage. Who knows what goes on inside those pipes over time. I'll do some research on trying to find a company that can re- gas it, but at the end of the day I think it will be a new one. I hope I can get this one out of the caravan, I think the front window might be an exit point. Thanks again for your input !.

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Bikeral77 said:

Thetford and Dometic fridges are silly prices. A new company is making them at much more realistic prices. A pity their only model is rather smaller than the 4270. Google - Carvin 43Liter Leisure 3 Way Absorption fridge However if you're set on a new 4270, it's been replaced by the 5380, but shop around. Various prices from £679 upwards.

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that Jaydug, this guy was one of the lucky ones. Mine won't work on any of the 3 ways, so I'm now resolved to thinking its scrap. Once the absorption system brakes down, there's no one to fix it. Sad I know, but that's life.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Just a sideways thought: If you are one of the many who always go to sites with EHU, why not replace it with a normal domestic compressor fridge at a small fraction of the cost? They work better and are much more energy efficient. As for running on 12v while under way, I have never found a need for this as the fridge stays quite cold enough during any journey we undertake
Would not suit me in the UK, because we actively seek basic sites, and even if available never pay for EHU if it is optional. (I will however take a small table-top freezer to Spain next winter. We need the extra capacity; and it will consume far less metered electricity than running the caravan absorption fridge at freezer temperatures.

Jun 3, 2017
Visit site
Well I reckon I've exhausted all avenues to ever getting my RM4270 fridge going again, so have had to succumb to the fact it's scrap, albeit except for it's parts value. So a brand new RM5330 is on the horizon, which should slot straight in with not much hassle. It's slightly shorter front to back, so I might have to put an extension on the gas exhaust. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking forward to getting the Swift Corronette back into service.
Thanks to you all for the imput, and advice, great forum !.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts