Fridge removal irritations (1990 Swift Challenger 450/5)

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi guys. Trying to remove the above but gaining access beyond the front screws looks a pain, especially to undo the gas union, which maybe all that is needed now to get the darned thing out.
There is a drainer partially above the fridge held in by awkward wing nuts but removing this may or may not help.
Any tips?
Thxs
Stuart

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Remove the outside grills, you should be able to get to the gas connection (i can on mine just), also you should see any packing on top of the fride to remove, usually sponge, or some times a bracket, or both.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Stuart,

Gas fitting even in caravans is a seroius matter and should be carried out in the proper way - even breaking a gas connection has certain safety implications that are coverd in the codes of practice for LPG fitting.

Unless you are fully competent in them I sugegst you should refer the removal, servicing and refitting of any gas appliance to a qualified competent fitter.

G

The fridge gas connection should be on a fairly large loop of copper pipe which allows the fridge to pull forward enough to disconnect it, before though and apart from the fixing screw, you must remove the flue connection at the side of, or behind the top vent outside.
It is also just possible you may find your fridge connected by a short length of rubber hose, if so then this must be replaced with copper.

As John say though, reconnection must be done correctly, a gas tight test should be done when first connected and before fully reinstalling and then again afterward.

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Thxs very much guys.
The van is not a recent purchase & isn't Welsh :)
I started doing my own gas work after atrocious work by British Gas fitting a new cooker 40 yrs ago.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
As already said remove the outside grills, it usually makes it easier to isolate the internals of the caravan from the outside flue effect of the two grills.All should become clear if you remove the grills prior to pulling out the fridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts