Fridge replacement

Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I have a dometic rms 8500 fridge that needs replacement as it doesn't cool. A new like for like replacement is £1200, can anyone recommend thing cheaper thet will fit in its place

Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
I can't get one who is interested, next available appointment with the earliest is September advice from most over the phone is just replace, tearing my hair out as I have two weeks away planned endnof july

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Advice over the phone is useless., and so are the people giving it!
Most faults are very easy to identify if you know what you are doing, but the "Just buy a new one" is scandalous.

You could try their website as here: https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/find-a-dealer

Input postcode, select service centre, select fridge, select motorhome fridge, select on the road then search.

These engineers are specially trained by Dometic, so do know what they are doing.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 14, 2021
Visit site
Advice over the phone is useless., and so are the people giving it!
Most faults are very easy to identify if you know what you are doing, but the "Just buy a new one" is scandalous.

You could try their website as here: https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/find-a-dealer

Input postcode, select service centre, select fridge, select motorhome fridge, select on the road then search.

These engineers are specially trained by Dometic, so do know what they are doing.
Thanks for the reply, but it was their local engineers (as well as others) who were going down the replace the fridge route

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear that, but there is still another option.
Fill in the form here : https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/contact-us

In your message make sure you give all the info and stress that just being told to buy a new fridge is not acceptable.

Sadly I do not know what alternative there is to replace given the size of your fridge and the aperture it fits into.

It may be possible to get a domestic mains operated unit that will fit, and do the job in the meantime, but it will be a compressor fridge and will be noisy especially at night as the compressor kicks in .

The other thing to bear in mind is that if your fridge is fitted over a wheelarch it will be a stepped model, and no domestic fridges are, so it would stick out quite a lot into your living space.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Sorry to hear your problem.
I had a fridge issue years back
I removed the vent covers, unplugged all the electrical connections, surprised how many there was, plugged them all back in, hey presto working fridge again.

From our camping days would a mains operated cool box get you by? Does the site have a freezer for public use?

I wouldn't spend £1200 on a new fridge period, I didn't pay that for the house American style fridge freezer.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In France we used a Coleman Extreme cool box to supplement the fridge. It worked very well and the ice came from the site shop. Saved us having too many trips to the hyper market.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In France we used a Coleman Extreme cool box to supplement the fridge. It worked very well and the ice came from the site shop. Saved us having too many trips to the hyper market.
We used our Halford cool box in France in June when it was quite hot and it would keep ice for about 3 days. We expected to be buying ice every day so were pleasantly surprised. It is obviously a rebranded cool box so no idea of the original brand. Halfords mains 12v coolbox.jpg

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry to hear your problem.
I had a fridge issue years back
I removed the vent covers, unplugged all the electrical connections, surprised how many there was, plugged them all back in, hey presto working fridge again.

From our camping days would a mains operated cool box get you by? Does the site have a freezer for public use?

I wouldn't spend £1200 on a new fridge period, I didn't pay that for the house American style fridge freezer.
I went to the nearest Electrolux service centre and took the fridge out and waited while they serviced (repaired) it . Put it back all is well and back home all in one day. Hymer 544 then .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts