from s.wales to scotland

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
planning on towing to the highlands in the summer, car-1.9 volvo T4 petrol manual estate, caravan 23 foot bailey champagne end bathroom, with these two outits i am saling pretty close to the wind as far as weight goes and i am always carefull with loading etc. However for the Scot trip i intend to strip out anything weighty like the big folding table and ne of the gas bottles, along with any crap thats simpy not required. i am hoping this will make the tow easier? has anyone on the forum towed this route and is it a good idea to lighten the load?

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi
I am not sure where you are going in the Highlands but I stay near Glasgow and have travelled this route many times with the caravan and it is motorway most of the way. However there are alot of gradients on this motorway especially around the Lake District area and then once you come over the border there is one particularly steep part of motorway so if you think you are close to your weight limit I would try and keep the load down as much as you can. However the road is easy so I wouldn't worry about it you should be fine.
Hope this helps!!

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hello
I'll try again site crashed!!!
We have done this several times from the south west 580 miles for us to Gairloch. We have similar van and used to have Volvo estate V70 2.5l 20v auto. Did not reduce weight as with 2 kids 2 dogs and all associated 'baggage' it was not going to be easy. We didn't have any problems. The journey takes 13 - 15 hours, with stops. Cannot bear unpacking for one nights stop and as we both drive the outfit we keep going. We stay at Gairloch camping and caravan site, lovely views overlooking the loch. Went on whale watching trip not cheap but great adventure!! Lots of wildlife, saw an otter feeding just below site on the beach. Can't wait to go back myself. Hope you enjoy it

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Some don'ts!!! Don't use A49, the traffic is slow and some of the hills will be difficult. Allow plenty of time for the M5 M6 junction it is always slow from junction 2 to junction 10. Some people cut across country from worcester via bridgnoth and telford. The kidderminster bridgnorth road is poor. In Scotland take care in your planning and I suggest you post a possible route here for advice. Enjoy Scotland.

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
hi there
we did the worcester to scotland trip last year ,we started from home about 7,00pm on the fri and drove too tebay services just below carlisle got there about mid-night( if i remember correctly) and bedded down there for the night which was very good minimal noise so got a good night`s kip .
woke up in the morning to the very nice smell of the breakfast`s being cooked in the services (now we had food and had planned to do our own breekie but the smell of local sausages being cooked was too great !!!!!!!)
after a great breakfast we set of again and eventually getting to poolewe in the high lands later that day
The roads up where fine that time on a fri night it was very quite even the M5/M6 jnct all motorway and after if not motorway it was dual carridge way even the a roads where good it did get a little tighter (especially driving a landrover discovery towing a twin axle van) when we where getting well in to the highlands but the passing places are big and very frequent and the traffic is light so all in all i`d do it again i had no worries or issuses
hope this helps

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Depending on where you are in S.Wales ...

M4, A449, A40, M50, M5, M6, A74 and M74. From then on it depends on where you are going.
Like Waffler said, avoid the A49 especially between Ross and Shrewsbury. Apart from it's winding nature there are few passing places to either get by slower moving traffic like lorries or for you to pull in to let others pass.

It's always a good idea not to take stuff that's not needed although we all don't practice what we preach
smiley-embarassed.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts