Front bulkhead

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello, can any please help me with the correct method of how to reinstall the front bulkhead and any specific requirements in doing the job correctly. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Harry,

A bit more information about make model of caravan and why the bulkhead had to be removed could be helpful?

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello John, Swift Callenger 530se 2004 new to me the van as had a hard life an was bought as trade sale with no warranty and no history. I am not sure why the front bulkhead was loose but didn't know about it when I looked around the van when I collected it, I did notice the front sofas frames where loose and a hinge was broken, but nothing to badly damaged that could not be fixed. I have removed the frames to glue and screw and replace the hinge. While the frames where out I gave the van a good clean and checked the floor and walls this is when I noticed the bulkhead had been pushed forward about 2 inches. I went to the gas locker and tried to push the bulkhead back, back in the van I removed the corner cover strip to expose the screws I removed 14 sheared screws now the bulkhead pivots front to back do I need to unscrew the bottom then rebound it in place before fixing it back into its correct position?

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
HarryGee said:
Hello John, Swift Callenger 530se 2004 new to me the van as had a hard life an was bought as trade sale with no warranty and no history. I am not sure why the front bulkhead was loose but didn't know about it when I looked around the van when I collected it, I did notice the front sofas frames where loose and a hinge was broken, but nothing to badly damaged that could not be fixed. I have removed the frames to glue and screw and replace the hinge. While the frames where out I gave the van a good clean and checked the floor and walls this is when I noticed the bulkhead had been pushed forward about 2 inches. I went to the gas locker and tried to push the bulkhead back, back in the van I removed the corner cover strip to expose the screws I removed 14 sheared screws now the bulkhead pivots front to back do I need to unscrew the bottom then rebound it in place before fixing it back into its correct position?

yes you do! and dont forget to reseal it.

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello Colin, what type of sealer do I need to use and how do I refit is there a check list I need to follow? Do I need to remove the window sill above the bulkhead? Any information you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Harry
I'm not trying to persuade you to use another caravan forum rather than this one owned and run by Britain's leading caravan magazine but the Swift Talk internet forum may be able to provide some of the technical information that you are seeking :)

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello Parksy, thank you for your reply, I am unable to use swift talk as I do not for fill the criteria not without being economical with the questions and I do not wish to use an account on false pretences.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HarryGee said:
Hello Parksy, thank you for your reply, I am unable to use swift talk as I do not for fill the criteria not without being economical with the questions and I do not wish to use an account on false pretences.

That is a very cryptic answer :huh:

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Yes I agree ProfJohnL but not being able to name a swift dealer puts the application void. I can complete all the other requirements but that one so I would have economical with the truth, now do so see.

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have removed the bulkhead completely and the window sill/top cover, at some stage a repair had been carried out badly and the window sill/top cover has been affected by water ingress and is only good now as a template, I have removed the old mastic and will now reseal and reinstall the bulkhead with new stainless steel screws. I have asked for and been recommended to use soudal fix all.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
HarryGee said:
Yes I agree ProfJohnL but not being able to name a swift dealer puts the application void. I can complete all the other requirements but that one so I would have economical with the truth, now do so see.

As far as i can see you use "Not Applicable" as there must be plenty of swift owners who have purchased privately second hand.

Alternately you could give you local Swift dealer - they may not have supplied you but you might use them as a source for spares.

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
No I don't want other people to do that, I was just at that time unable to complete to registration correctly. But thank you for your comment. I am new to this and still trying to find my way.

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hello, just to close this topic I viewed a couple of vans same make model and age range and can confirm that a repair/modification to the base board of the gas locker floor caused the issues to the bulkhead. I have stripped back the base board to original state rebuilt the bulkhead and refited all the correct parts into the correct places useing the correct bonding mastic and stainless steel screws can report problem solved only thing left to do is find some covers for the corner steady holes where the aluminium was torn by the movement of the body.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts