Frontera DTI 2.2 olympus

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
Hello, not being able to afford a newish 4x4 and not being welcome in my vauxhall vivaro van (big moan) i am looking in to the above vehicle and would welcome any comments ..but only on true facts and not what weve all heard thanks

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Which fronterra are you looking at the 2.2 diesel , 2.2 Petrol or the V6 Petrol? Also what are you towing.

I have in the past had 3 Fronteras. 1st was the origonal 2.3 diesel. next was the 2.2 Petrol which was OK but you had to work it hard and it was a bit thirsty when towing, finally was the 2.2 diesel, this was the finest frontera we had, pulled our Lexon without any effort , plenty of torque and good mpg, one of the best tow cars we have had.

If it is a manual check the clutch , whilst not a known problem they have a dual mass fly wheel which can be expensive to replace, also check the service history, ensure oil and filter changes , the fuel filter is akward to change as it is underneath by the chasis. I never had a problem changing ours , but I have heard of others who had a lot of trouble bleeding the system as they got air in the fuel lines, if in doubt get it serviced by a garage.

All in all a very geed vehicle.

Jan 28, 2007
Visit site
Which fronterra are you looking at the 2.2 diesel , 2.2 Petrol or the V6 Petrol? Also what are you towing.

I have in the past had 3 Fronteras. 1st was the origonal 2.3 diesel. next was the 2.2 Petrol which was OK but you had to work it hard and it was a bit thirsty when towing, finally was the 2.2 diesel, this was the finest frontera we had, pulled our Lexon without any effort , plenty of torque and good mpg, one of the best tow cars we have had.

If it is a manual check the clutch , whilst not a known problem they have a dual mass fly wheel which can be expensive to replace, also check the service history, ensure oil and filter changes , the fuel filter is akward to change as it is underneath by the chasis. I never had a problem changing ours , but I have heard of others who had a lot of trouble bleeding the system as they got air in the fuel lines, if in doubt get it serviced by a garage.

All in all a very geed vehicle.
thanks for your reply , it is the 2.2.deisel one of the last ones built 2002-2003, sounds like you were pretty happy with your deisel and yes i would want a manual ...any more comments ?

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Never owned one but heard critisisms from people who have never owned one and praise from those who have, which in itself speaks for the loudest voices being those that don't really know what they are talking about.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Glen

appologies had I read the thread tittle I would have seen you were refering to the 2.2 diesel. I was very happy with the fronterra and did 80k miles in 6 years , the vast majority towing our 1300kg Lexon. Fuel consumption if I remember correctly was around the 25 - 28mpg towing , keep it to 50mph and it is economical towing, take it up to 60 mph and I noticed a differnce. Sol was 33 - 35mpg , again light aceleration and braking . Oil changes whilst recommended at 12k I did an oil and filter every 6k as I felt towing the extra oil changes looked after the engine.

The engine never lacked torque and I towed from lands end To Dunnet Head at Thurso and she never missed a beat.

In the whole time I had it the only problems were an air sensor which went resulting in the car continuing in limp mode , this I repaired myself although the sensor cost

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
Sorry this is a bit late. Only just seen the thread.We towed with a Frontera Olympus 2.2 tdi('52') and it was a brilliant tow car.Just sold it as we have bought a smaller caravan.Had no problems with it whatsoever.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
I had the excellent Frontera Sport 2.8TDi, the very best towcar I have ever had. Alas they (GM) replaced it with the 2.2DTi, which although more refined didn't have the real grunt of the Isuzu derived 2.8TDi. I did like the look of the later model as they got rid if the big blind spot caused by the oversized side pillar. In 5 years of ownership it never put a foot wrong.

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Great tow car. I bought mine over two years ago to tow my twin axle stirling. I managed to find a low mileage full dealer service history with only 38k on it, now 59k only had to replace front tyres and exhaust and brake pads. Great on fuel solo on a run 400 miles to a tank

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Geffd said:
Great tow car. I bought mine over two years ago to tow my twin axle stirling. I managed to find a low mileage full dealer service history with only 38k on it, now 59k only had to replace front tyres and exhaust and brake pads. Great on fuel solo on a run 400 miles to a tank

He's probably scrapped it since then. :)

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I did an off-road driving course on the hills above Holmfirth (Last of the Summer Wine?) a few years ago and we took our Qashqai. The instructor said this was not a proper 4x4 so did we have anything else - yes an oldish 2.2D Frontera LWB and we fetched it. The instructors comment was that, apart from a LR Defender, this was one of the few true proper 4x4 off-road vehicles around.

Boy was that a good day - and we all learnt a lot with great big smiles on our faces throughout. It might cost but IMO it is the best fun you can have with your clothes on!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts