Fuel Cost and Car Tax.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Anyway,

I've just looked at the crude oil prices - and they continue to fall - with an expectation that barrel prices will drop below $120 for the weekend. And the futures price for petrol has dropped by almost 5%.

Now, the betting side of this is:

1. Do you think the Pound will maintain it's current level against the Dollar and Euro - if yes, then pump prices should fall

2. Fuel pump prices around here have been dropping back this week - but that might not be the same everywhere...

3. Diesel prices - because demand and supply are so well balanced - then these will probably stay that bit higher than petrol for some time

4. And the big if is - will the oil producing countries continue to keep pumping at the same rate once they see their incomes falling...

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings Again All,

I'm just having a mild panic attack over my advise above re taxing the car for six months (The next bit I know I'm shouting)

WHEN DOES THE NEW RATE COME IN? I THOUGHT IT WAS APRIL BUT IF IT COMES IN ON 1ST MARCH THEN I'VE GIVE DUFF INFO AND WE SHOULD BE ALL DOING THE SURRENDER AT THE END OF JULY.

Sorry for shouting.

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
This is an ongoing joke as far as I am concerned. Yet again hardworking people are punished by the current labour regime. It isn't even as if the money earnt is tipped in to better roads or public transport, it is just wasted along with the rest of the tax we pay. In many Euro countries direct taxation is heavier, but there are far less stealth taxes, making it fairer and more transparent. This isn't a debate about rich or poor, but unltimately it will be those on lower incomes or with large families who suffer first and have to cut back/sell up first.

What a short sighted bunch the government are. Caravanners holiday in the UK alot for weekends as well as longer breaks. In doing this, they contribute the the local economies of the places they visit. For this to disapear would surely cost this country dear. Should the government therefore not be helping those of us out that support UK plc by not jetting off abroard all the time? I think the answer to that is yes, but Brown and co are obviously to consumed in their own little Whitehall world to think about other people and the lifestyles that they follow. They are fools.

Aug 17, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone explain why diesel is now about 15p a litre more than petrol when a year ago it was the same price as petrol. I know diesel costs more to produce and that our unelected chief of thieves taxes it at the same rate as petrol but 15P ? come on !!
Diesel is one of the first products obtained from crude oil as it goes through the refining process. Therefore it should be cheaper! I think the popularity of diesel powered vehicles due to lower servicing costs (?) longevity of the engine itself and increased fuel economy over petrol vehicles may have something to do with it. Although Mr darling and Co will tell you it's because they emit more sooty particles and stuff that is so bad for the environment. As with everything else, it's just another shabby excuse to mug us of even more hard earned cash!

Dave

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Robert,

What a difference a day (or two) makes.

BBC news this morning reporting crude hitting a record high of $150 a barrel and the possibility of reaching $200 within 18 months....... Joy !

Ken.

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
When I got home the other night my wife demanded that I take her somewhere expensive

So I took her to the petrol station

(I'll get my coat !)

Bill

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Well after posting that crude oil should drop to around $120 - and it duly did - and then the Americans went mad and drove the price up to $139 - well done guys...

Don't you just love the stock markets...

Robert

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Do you think we are doing our Government an injustice here, after all it's not as if they are making very much out of this.

2006 to 2007 they made

Jun 10, 2007
Visit site
This is an ongoing joke as far as I am concerned. Yet again hardworking people are punished by the current labour regime. It isn't even as if the money earnt is tipped in to better roads or public transport, it is just wasted along with the rest of the tax we pay. In many Euro countries direct taxation is heavier, but there are far less stealth taxes, making it fairer and more transparent. This isn't a debate about rich or poor, but unltimately it will be those on lower incomes or with large families who suffer first and have to cut back/sell up first.

What a short sighted bunch the government are. Caravanners holiday in the UK alot for weekends as well as longer breaks. In doing this, they contribute the the local economies of the places they visit. For this to disapear would surely cost this country dear. Should the government therefore not be helping those of us out that support UK plc by not jetting off abroard all the time? I think the answer to that is yes, but Brown and co are obviously to consumed in their own little Whitehall world to think about other people and the lifestyles that they follow. They are fools.
John - you've got it in one - my sentiments exactly been on my soap box all week about this one!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts