Fuel economy

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Although I do not like diesel fuel, I do run a Kangoo 1.5 diesel, simply because it was very, very cheap to buy. It has a MPG computer, which I switch on sometimes for amusement. Usually it reads 51/52 mpg, which is almost four times what I get out of my Discovery V8, but guess which car I enjoy most?
I also have 2,0 litre petrol Talbot camper van which does around 20 mpg. I met a man the other day who had just bought a similar model which he claimed did 45 mpg. I must be doing something wrong!
As long as I have money to put fuel in my cars, I'll use them. When I don't have the money, I won't use them. Simple.
There are a lot more things in life to worry about than MPG.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Economy is all in the right foot, anticipation and a well maintained vehicle, but 45 mpg from any van based model is simply not possible unless you only drive downhill.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
emmerson said:
Although I do not like diesel fuel, I do run a Kangoo 1.5 diesel, simply because it was very, very cheap to buy. It has a MPG computer, which I switch on sometimes for amusement. Usually it reads 51/52 mpg, which is almost four times what I get out of my Discovery V8, but guess which car I enjoy most?
I also have 2,0 litre petrol Talbot camper van which does around 20 mpg. I met a man the other day who had just bought a similar model which he claimed did 45 mpg. I must be doing something wrong!
As long as I have money to put fuel in my cars, I'll use them. When I don't have the money, I won't use them. Simple.

Here here . Good reply . :)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
emmerson said:

I don't think anyone is worrying about MPG.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I'm not sure the Premium Performance fuel does anything in my car to improve performance (XC60 D4, 2.4 5-cyl diesel, AWD Auto) which gives me ~29mpg when towing (data from the trip computer and full to full refuelling calculations) and about 35-39mpg when solo (depending on how heavy my right foot is) but I do tend to stick a tank of Shell V-Power Diesel when filling up before a trip towing - but I will chose whatever is closest/available if I need fuel for towing home.

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
For more than a decade now I have been driving between 25 and 30k miles a year in diesel VW Passats (currently on an Arteon, which is mechanically identical but better looking)! Perhaps the frequent long journeys have helped to keep the filters clean but I have not had a single engine reliability issue from using 'regular' diesel. The only times I have used the 'premium' option are on the rare occasions when that's all that has been available at the filling station, but if that did offer any improved economy or performance it wasn't noticeable.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " I don't think anyone is worrying about MPG. "

I think they are, at least from the topic title which is "Fuel Economy"

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
There have been several tests of premium fuels and none of them came up with any measurable difference in fuel economy. My interpretation of the various ones that I've seen is "snake oil"...

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
There have been several tests of premium fuels and none of them came up with any measurable difference in fuel economy. My interpretation of the various ones that I've seen is "snake oil"...

Perhaps not economy - but certain high-performance cars will run better on premium fuels - some demand 98 octane minimum.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
CustardAvenger said:
Guzzilazz said:

Perhaps not economy - but certain high-performance cars will run better on premium fuels - some demand 98 octane minimum.

I had a 1999 Audi A4 Quattro 180 turbo petrol which was rated at 180 on the higher octane, but was happy to run on the lower octane with a small power reduction, most of the time i used supermarket fuel, with the occasional fill up with the expensive fuel for towing.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
xtrailman said:
Damian-Moderator said:

Its not a worry but an enquiry.

Worry is the wrong word but I do care about it and look at this before buying although it is not the top priority.
Oddly enough I did accidentally top up with premium fuel for my last trip a week ago and the car did seem a bit more lively when towing. It is hard to say if the fuel performance changed as it would have just under half premium fuel in it.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
xtrailman said:
Damian-Moderator said:

Its not a worry but an enquiry.

Worry is the wrong word but I do care about it and look at this before buying although it is not the top priority.
Oddly enough I did accidentally top up with premium fuel for my last trip a week ago and the car did seem a bit more lively when towing. It is hard to say if the fuel performance changed as it would have just under half premium fuel in it.

I have filled up my Sante Fe a few times with the "superior " fuel a few times and it does "seem " too run smoother, as a retired engineer I should communicate with the fuel suppliers to find out what additives the put in to make the fuel "superior".

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I tow with a 2014 Land Rover Defender 110 with DPF and Cat in the one unit. When towing I use ultra premium fuel normally BP or Shell. When not towing I use standard premium fuel. I would never use super market fuel.
With the ultra premium there is a noticable difference in the power output and it tows a lot better.
Also bear in mind cheaper fuel will contaminate and degrade your oil a lot quicker meaning more frequent oil changes and with high ash content will clog up the DPF a lot quicker.
As regards costs. My DPF filter costs £1800 to replace so I treat it kindly and because its a modern engine the oil is very expensive. I only cover about 5000 miles per year in this motor (We use a Ford Focus for any non towing trips). so for me it is worth paying a tad extra on fuel.
My consumption towing and urban is 26mpg and solo 29 - 30 mpg.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
foggydave said:
I tow with a 2014 Land Rover Defender 110 with DPF and Cat in the one unit. When towing I use ultra premium fuel normally BP or Shell. When not towing I use standard premium fuel. I would never use super market fuel.
With the ultra premium there is a noticable difference in the power output and it tows a lot better.
Also bear in mind cheaper fuel will contaminate and degrade your oil a lot quicker meaning more frequent oil changes and with high ash content will clog up the DPF a lot quicker.
As regards costs. My DPF filter costs £1800 to replace so I treat it kindly and because its a modern engine the oil is very expensive. I only cover about 5000 miles per year in this motor (We use a Ford Focus for any non towing trips). so for me it is worth paying a tad extra on fuel.

Many don’t realise that premium fuel isn’t just branded fuel with extra additives. It’s refined differently and as you say has a lower ash content and no amount of regeneration will get rid of the residual ash in the DPF. And it’s often the build up of ash that will lead to the renewal of a DPF. But this should only be after a goodly number of driven miles.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
foggydave said:

We have used supermarket fuel in four diesels and never had a DPF problem so do not accept that they are lower quality. I did see a TV program looking at this and they concluded there was no difference in quality.,

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Always used supermarket fuel in petrol cars-never had any issues and my mr2 mk2 was on 160000 miles when i sadly had to sell it due to lack of space! Won t be using anything else in the diesel!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
xtrailman said:
I've never had to change a DPF or EGR so its not a concern for me using supermarket fuel...

My first car with a DPF was a Seat Exeo bought in 2009 and as with all my cars it ran on supermarket fuel. In the last 10 years I have never noticed a re-gen or has an issue with a DPF...The Exeo went in 2017 with 59,000 on the clock...

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
foggydave said:
I have never heard of low ash content in petrol/diesel and no company i know advertise this? A google search returns only petroleum ie crude? Oil yes and that is what is recommended for cars with dpf,s https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/dpf-failure-the-five-main-causes/ .As all fuel is a base standard and the additives make the difference im guessing all fuels will have the same ash content?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MichaelE said:
foggydave said:
I have never heard of low ash content in petrol/diesel and no company i know advertise this? A google search returns only petroleum ie crude? Oil yes and that is what is recommended for cars with dpf,s https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/dpf-failure-the-five-main-causes/ .As all fuel is a base standard and the additives make the difference im guessing all fuels will have the same ash content?

No they don’t. Premium diesel has reduced ash. You just need to know where to look for the info.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
"Use premium (expensive) fuel – This may be a contentious tip but the makers of the expensive versions of diesel claim that their fuels burn cleaner. Presuming that this is true, less unburnt fuel (soot) is likely to be produced, which benefits the DPF, especially in winter. In my own experience of using BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power diesel during the winter months, the engine runs smoother from cold and the DPF has to self-clean (‘regenerate’) itself on fewer occasions."

https://blog.motoringassist.com/news/diesel-particulate-filters-winter-advice/
Still i always use supermarket fuel all year with no DPF issues, doing 95% short trips, my weekly long trip being 12miles to my fishing lake. Using A and B roads.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
MichaelE said:
foggydave said:

No they don’t. Premium diesel has reduced ash. You just need to know where to look for the info.
Could you please share that info?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
MichaelE said:
otherclive said:
MichaelE said:
foggydave said:

Could you please share that info?

Yes if you search my previous posts which cover this subject several times over quite a while you will find links to some websites which describe in detail.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
I still tow with a 2001 Nissan Terrano TDi with a simple indirect lightly stressed 2.7 litre diesel engine.
It only produces 125 bhp but tows a 1600kgs caravan just fine returning 23 mpg.......it will run just fine on any old diesel fuel so it always gets the cheapest available.
I have owned it from new ..........it has just clocked 153000 miles and all maintenance has been carried out by the owner.
My concession to the environment is to use a Ford 1.4 TDi for all non towing duties.....this returns a minimum of 55mpg.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts