FUEL PRICES V SELLING CARAVAN

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
To modify the old Dubliner's song about laying asphalt to make it more applicable to the oil debate...

"We burned it in the hollows,

And we burned it on the flat -

And if it doesn't last forever, boys,

I swear I'll eat me hat......"

;)

Jul 6, 2007
Visit site
We have this year taken a seasonal pitch,which I thought was expensive,until I worked out the fuel cost of towing a 130 mile round trip every three or four weeks,its much cheaper to have the pitch.35mpg solo & 26 towing.SWMBO likes to go to the same site in the forest so we usually go to the same place.The annual 2/3 week pilgramige to europe still costs the same as flying to Tenerife for 2 weeks in a 4* hotel so I do not count that,and you can carry more wine/cheese in a van than you can in a suitcase!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, its becoming horrendously expensive to holiday in a touring caravan but have you considered the cost of the alternatives?

WE can take a two week holiday in Devon or Dorset in our tourer for less than the cost of one week in a Static caravan, and thats including the extra fuel cost for dragging the tourer along with us. Hotels are just out of our league.

We are taking less weekend breaks than we used to but thats more because of the cost of living eating into our disposable income and the budget for holidays is becoming squeezed. We wont be giving up caravanning until the bitter end as its the only way we can afford a two week holiday in the summer. I love the lifestyle, and its our own little place by the seaside for 14 blissful days.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Yes, its becoming horrendously expensive to holiday in a touring caravan but have you considered the cost of the alternatives?

WE can take a two week holiday in Devon or Dorset in our tourer for less than the cost of one week in a Static caravan, and thats including the extra fuel cost for dragging the tourer along with us. Hotels are just out of our league.

We are taking less weekend breaks than we used to but thats more because of the cost of living eating into our disposable income and the budget for holidays is becoming squeezed. We wont be giving up caravanning until the bitter end as its the only way we can afford a two week holiday in the summer. I love the lifestyle, and its our own little place by the seaside for 14 blissful days.
We have a Motorhome and are seriously considering going back to caravanning as it now costs over

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes fuel cost a problem

We try to do a main journey then use shanks pony or bus passes for local trips where possible from site. We try to move sites to different areas perhaps to a different site the next year rather than spend to much time in the car. I am always amused when sites say tourist attractions are nearby when in fact they are 60+ miles away. Not my idea of a holiday.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Geist, petrol at 15p in the seventies? Thats three old shillings. Sorry mate, but it cannot have been. When I started work as an apprentice in the late fifties "pool" petrol was three and ten pence a gallon. During the Suez crisis it went up by a shilling. That would make it around 25p, and I have never known petrol to go down in price.

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
emmerson wrote:

Geist, petrol at 15p in the seventies? Thats three old shillings. Sorry mate, but it cannot have been. When I started work as an apprentice in the late fifties "pool" petrol was three and ten pence a gallon. During the Suez crisis it went up by a shilling. That would make it around 25p, and I have never known petrol to go down in price.⇦br/>

Hmmm, I've been giving the matter some thought - and it could well be that I remember buying 1/2 gallons of two stroke mix (remember when the oil was next to the pumps in a 'fire extinguisher' type dispenser?) We were just lads and would have bought the minimum amount necessary to make the Bantam run ;) It was also, now I think about it properly, in 1969 - must have been, we were still at school.

On the other hand I'm sure about the 3 gallons for

Mar 13, 2008
Visit site
Bought my first motorbike in 1967. Remember the price was under 25p a gallon.

We looked at the rising cost of fuel, and last year bought a new 4x4. It will do about 42 mpg on a long run, and about 37-8 around town, though I'm seldom stuck in traffic jams.

After two caravans we went back to a trailer tent for a few years, and although this weighed in at 1000kgm fully laden we averaged 35mpg touring round Ireland with it last year. Having just retired we wanted to tour more. We had a good look at caravans and found they are mostly getting larger and larger as well as getting heavier and heavier. Instead we have bought a Trigano pop-up. Lower height so less wind resistance. Weighs in at 750kgm unladen! It feels very solid so I am not sure how they have reduced the weight, especially with the solid lift up roof and the extra strenghtening required for it. Would expect to get a similar mpg as our trailer tent and apparently tows even better as it has a lower centre of gravity.

Is this the way to go?

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi just seen what time you wrote that...don't you sleep:)
Usually like a log ;)

I've been awake in the early hours quite a lot lately - my son runs his own business and I've found myself doing quite a lot of work on the text for brochures and ads that he produces for clients. He's a true whiz with the graphic design/web implementation etc - but he couldn't string three good sentences together to save his soul.

It takes ages! - he's producing a glossy brochure for an hotel in, what he assures me, is the gloomiest part of t' North It's situated virtually in the middle of nowhere - and it takes a great deal of head scratching and Nescafe to turn it into the most exhilarating venue for a short break this side of Paris ;)

Actually, it sounds remarkably like Fawlty Towers! He's been up there a couple of times to take photo's and, apparently, it boasts an English Chef who is barely sane and who is given to indulging in tantrums that make the Latin temperament appear sanguine in comparison, plus the idlest porter in the business, and the most incompetent staff;)

The owner gave orders for an out-building to be cleared out, and for some rubbish to be burned - so the trusty staff set to work and duly burned an old dining table that was being stored in there.

Unfortunately, it was an antique worth the best part of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts