Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I received one of those e-mails that circulate about fighting fuel price rises.

Dunno what you all think, but I thought it sounded quite good:-

Reduce petrol forecourt prices very simply as follows:

Do not purchase petrol from B.P. or Esso etc.

Only purchase petrol from supermarkets, i.e. Tesco, Sainsbury,

Morrisons etc.

B.P. and Essco etc will be forced to reduce their prices to compete.

When they have dropped prices below £1 per litre, buy their petrol only.

Supermarkets will have to drop fuel to compete.

When supermarkets are below 95p per lite - buy their fuel only.

Everytime it drops 5p, switch from either supermarket only to commerical B.P/Esso.

The fuel companies will then press government for relief from high tax to help them compete.

The recent e-mail said lets all start firstly with B.P/Esso etc.

So start immediately by only purchasing supermarket fuel.

Pass this e-mail to ten other people so it spreads quickly!!

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
As has been said before all the fuel comes out of the same refineries and I dont think BP even have a refinery in th Uk any more. They do not even own a lot of their filling stations they are franchised. As the greater part of the cost of fuel is tax these multiple drops of 5p are just not going to happen.

Colin

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
All very well but where do you think the supermarkets get the fuel from living not far from a petrol terminal,you can see the various tankers coming out of BP Texaco etc

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
There is a shell garage just off the motorway at Wigan. The fuel there is cheaper than the supermarkets in the town.

Will

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Lorraine,

It`s a great idea in theory, but I live 25 miles from the nearest supermarket, thats a tenner spent getting there and back.

It`s a no brainer for me I`m afraid, I am stuck, along with thousands of others.

Tony a.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Our local Shell garage is cheaper than the local large supermarkets, and they sell proper diesel not the City cr*p

Nice thought about boycotting, cant see it happening though.

Edd

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello everyone

I've had a phone call today off a work mate saying that all the phones at work have received messages saying that there COULD be a fuel strike soon. Not sure who are on strike?. We have been told to keep the vans topped up. I work on the railway maintaining the infrastructure so need rapid response so if we do run short on fuel the knock on effect could be terrible,train delays or even trains not able to run.

No change there I hear you all shout..

Will

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi everyone,

i heard on the radio yesterday that there was plans to block all of the major motorways, including the m25, m4 etc. the hauliers plan to meet and drive extremely slowly to cause total mayhem. Good luck to them is what i say.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A blockade of motorways by hauliers will lead to dramatic, swift, action by the Police. The Government and the Police Chief Constables, {who are political appointees counting on a gong at retirement}, have learnt lessons since the last blockade. Lorries owned by large companies will not allow their lorries or drivers to take part fearing retribution from the Traffic Commissioners. Private owner - drivers will risk having their vehicles impounded and the Police will find any excuse for charging them with a driving offence.

If you think Margaret Thatcher was tough on the miners wait till you see Gordon Brown's response if hauliers cause trouble.

I also wonder if the hauliers will have support from the public if their actions hinder motorists Christmas plans.

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
I hear what you say but it is a pity we do have the French attitude they would not stand for this fuel hike that further lines the coffers with extra vat and the government get about 65-70p for every litre.I have posted before since the prices went sky high my consumption has gone the same way but the car runs fine no different to before is it additives or lack of any one else noticed this.Mine has gone from aroud 55 to 45mpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Plotter, don't think that the French hauliers have it all their own way. Once the government have had enough they send in the riot Police who use any amount of force neccessary to move the trucks including CS gas. They can do any damage they like to get the road clear. I have seen them in action and certainly wouldn't hinder one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ken, I agree with you all the way - this situation has been caused by goverment greed. It is no good blaming the oil producers or oil companies - their prices have only a minimal effect on the price at the pump.

I just know though that a fuel protest will not succeed. The government dare not let it. They were surprised last time by the speed and effectiveness of the blockade. This time they are well prepared and will act to stop any blockade forming. The law has been changed and any motorist taking action could have their vehicle impounded and ultimately destroyed.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless I'm mistaken, the fuel duty was last raised by 2p per litre on the 1st October. Therefore, the government cannot be held responsible for any petrol price increase since then.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lutz, every rise in the cost of fuel brings the government a windfall in VAT. It is the combined taxes of duty and VAT which is causing the problem, not the cost of the fuel itself. I think there is a general feeling in the country that the government are profiteering and making the situation worse than it needs to be. Still that's democracy for you.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, but that only means that the government benefits from the rise in petrol prices, it doesn't mean that they are the cause. The price of crude oil has increased worldwide (although it has dropped slightly lately) so one cannot claim that the UK government has been instrumental in forcing crude oil prices up.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Yes Lutz but the government doesnt have to keep taking the increases in duty when oil prices rise. What about the occasional drop in duty. After all they arec supposed to be looking out for us. Also what about fuel duty on diesel. We are the only country as I know that has the same duty on petrol as diesel. Why? because you get more to the litre and they might be giving us something.

Ken

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts