Fuel queues.

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I’ve filled up this morning and just a couple of cars in front of me so definitely improvement, drove past 3 other locations and much the same, most people are probably driving with virtually a fuel tank so are either not topping up yet or if they do it’s only a few litres so petrol stations aren’t running out so quickly.

BP

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I’ve filled up this morning and just a couple of cars in front of me so definitely improvement, drove past 3 other locations and much the same, most people are probably driving with virtually a fuel tank so are either not topping up yet or if they do it’s only a few litres so petrol stations aren’t running out so quickly.

BP
We got lucky on Saturday and was able to add £35 of diesel taking fuel tank to halfway full.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Amazes me-the traffic yesterday-and when I did chat to any they were on days out-one couple were even just driving aimlessly to see what they could see-their aim, to 'get lost' then use satnav to return home-so the shortage doesn't be seeming to be bothering some here in sunny Lincs! I did think that a bit selfish maybe under the circumstances but having an EV we#ve not been near a petrol station other than to drive past for a couple of weeks.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
However by the same token perhaps none of the vehicles behind were able to over take the tanker due to road conditions, but it made a good twist for a tale and driver of the tanker made the news?
Chances of all those cars in the queue behind the tanker actually following the tanker for fuel is a bit remote as some may just have been stuck in the queue although they were going elsewhere? Just saying. :ROFLMAO:
They were following. The tanker driver realised he was being followed when he joined the A43 in Northamptonshire, and the queue behind him didn't pass. Then when he turned into his actual destination (building site) he was hooted at and stopped, as he thought he had a problem. It was at that point the drivers following asked where was taking his fuel...

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
This morning Mrs H, managed to get a doctors appointment, can you be at the surgery in 30 minutes, yes, panic to get washed and dressed. So she now has ecg tomorrow, blood test wednesday and Dermitologist thursday.
So with all these appointments, off I go to find fuel, get into one fuel station, only Super Diesel available £1.56 / litre. I managed to get £0.60 worth and the pump ran dry. Went 2 miles down the road, to A Tesco station, no waiting filled with £65 worth at £1.339. So all set for another couple of weeks. Happy Bunny.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Our car went in for service today and they gave me Fabia curtesy car. The fuel gauge was on the red and they said would I top it up. That is a laugh most of our garages are out and those if you can find one would have long ques, plus I would have thought the car would run out . So did not get any and got back to garage on the fumes I should have thought.
T

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Had no problem in Leek or Oakham getting unlimited diesel - noticed today that both Asda and Morrisons in Peterborough had fuel, without jacking up the prices although filling stations along the A1 all had prices over £1.40 per litre.

Got a 200 mile run tomorrow so hope I can refuel afterwards.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We finally got lucky and the first time since this all started, noticed an open station and finally got diesel for our Golf.

Had got daft in we simply dare not go out looking for fuel with the Golf, had to use the bike or Disco to go looking, then rush home for the Golf!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Had no problem in Leek or Oakham getting unlimited diesel - noticed today that both Asda and Morrisons in Peterborough had fuel, without jacking up the prices although filling stations along the A1 all had prices over £1.40 per litre.

Got a 200 mile run tomorrow so hope I can refuel afterwards.
I happened to notice that Sainsburys in Tamworth have diesel at 131.9/litre - annoyingly I'd just filled up at Asda at 133.7 - no queues at either.

From the media it still seems to be an issue in London and South-east.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I happened to notice that Sainsburys in Tamworth have diesel at 131.9/litre - annoyingly I'd just filled up at Asda at 133.7 - no queues at either.

From the media it still seems to be an issue in London and South-east.
The Midlands and North have for once been “levelled up”

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We finally got lucky and the first time since this all started, noticed an open station and finally got diesel for our Golf.

Had got daft in we simply dare not go out looking for fuel with the Golf, had to use the bike or Disco to go looking, then rush home for the Golf!
Pleased you got fuel for your Golf

Reactions: JTQ

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We often have to go on the A87 and pass the Cluannie Inn. It's in the middle of nowhere and has two fuel pumps. It was always expensive in comparison and a few years back when more reasonalbe places where at £1.20 or so it would be about £1.40.

A while back it got bought out and renovated as part of a small chain. When it opened fuel prices rose to about £1.65 so I was expecting them to be higher due to the profiteering. When we past last week it was £1.70.

Suprisingly no queues - well no customers either.

The Service Station at Stirling was at £1.58 when we made a pit stop last week. Was closed for re-filling.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

BP
I am pleased you got fuel :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I continue to be amused at the stories in the main stream media concerning the shortage of heavy goods drivers and agricultural labourers. Depending on which paper you read, the UK is short of 100 000 HGV drivers and the shortage had been made worse by brexit.

Yet, when you look at historical statistics it seems that the UK was 60,000 shy in 2015. Which is before the referendum. So how can that be blamed in brexit. Plus we learn that just shy of 30,000 would be drivers are stuck in the system awaiting test results. This because the licencing agency are working from home due to the pandemic. Get them behind the wheel and we'd be laughing.

As we're on the subject of fiddling figures. The media are reporting one Lincolnshire farmer offering £30 per hour to cut broccoli. First off, it's not broccoli they are cutting, it's calabrese.

The Daily Mail explains that this equates to a salary of £60,000 per annum. Great story, total nonsense. The job is based on piece work and the volume of crops harvested. True you could earn the equivalent of £30 per hour. But this is back breaking work so you wouldn't be keeping that pace up for long. Plus the harvesting only takes place for a few months a year.

But when did news papers let facts get in the way of a good story.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I continue to be amused at the stories in the main stream media concerning the shortage of heavy goods drivers and agricultural labourers. Depending on which paper you read, the UK is short of 100 000 HGV drivers and the shortage had been made worse by brexit.

Yet, when you look at historical statistics it seems that the UK was 60,000 shy in 2015. Which is before the referendum. So how can that be blamed in brexit. Plus we learn that just shy of 30,000 would be drivers are stuck in the system awaiting test results. This because the licencing agency are working from home due to the pandemic. Get them behind the wheel and we'd be laughing.

As we're on the subject of fiddling figures. The media are reporting one Lincolnshire farmer offering £30 per hour to cut broccoli. First off, it's not broccoli they are cutting, it's calabrese.

The Daily Mail explains that this equates to a salary of £60,000 per annum. Great story, total nonsense. The job is based on piece work and the volume of crops harvested. True you could earn the equivalent of £30 per hour. But this is back breaking work so you wouldn't be keeping that pace up for long. Plus the harvesting only takes place for a few months a year.

But when did news papers let facts get in the way of a good story.
You are right about crop picking being backbreaking work in sometimes bad weather conditions. Even before Brexit I have seen programmes on tv about how few British would stick it, even though they were unemployed. So EU Labour was understandably used to fill the gap, and some would move around the country as crops came ready, others came in for the season. One way, and it will not be a quick fix, is to maximise the use of automation to overcome the problem and at the same time improve productivity.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
You are right about crop picking being backbreaking work in sometimes bad weather conditions. Even before Brexit I have seen programmes on tv about how few British would stick it, even though they were unemployed. So EU Labour was understandably used to fill the gap, and some would move around the country as crops came ready, others came in for the season. One way, and it will not be a quick fix, is to maximise the use of automation to overcome the problem and at the same time improve productivity.
The fact is that few unemployed unqualified British would accept farm work because there's no transport to the farms, and when the crop is picked they face months with no money while their new unemployment benefit claim is processed.
Farmers house foreign workers in on site static caravans, and the workers have to pay for their accommodation.
The agricultural system here isn't set up to employ British workers and they don't advertise jobs locally as a journalist recently proved when she attempted to apply for a job at the farm of a turkey farmer who complained about the lack of workers but in fact had never advertised any job vacancies here.
This 'bone idle British' narrative is yet another made up press story, the same one as 'foreign workers don't keep wages low'.
It's funny that now that the Eastern European lorry drivers have all gone home, the haulage industry is being forced to pay a realistic wage for the job.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The fact is that few unemployed unqualified British would accept farm work because there's no transport to the farms, and when the crop is picked they face months with no money while their new unemployment benefit claim is processed.
When the company I worked for went into administration a couple of years ago I had to apply for benefits as trying to find work when you are 59 was rather difficult. It all got processed for unemployment benefit within week, but this was way back in about 2009 however money was dismal so continued looking for work and was successful eventually.
It was easier to find work than to jump through the many hoops to get the £70 a week. This included driving up to 70 miles for an interview. If I had got that job I would have been better off on benefits than paying for fuel to travel that distance 5 days a week.
Weird benefit system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts