Future Publishing's PC magazine

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I agree . When we are away my phone location app is always on so when Google asks for a review off somewhere we have been , i am honest enough to say good or terrible and leave the review .

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
Briefly after speed reading comments, in my opinion the world we live in has and is becoming far too PC and is on the brink of tottering into insanity. Everybody is so petrified of doing or saying something wrong that we are fast reaching the point where nothing at all will be said. What a sad world. The UK is supposed to be the bastion of "free speech" but look around you, that freedom is fast eroding and soon we will not be able to say BO to someone for fear of offending or upsetting them.
So regarding negative comments about products on any forum as far as I'm concerned we should be able to say whatever it is we like. As an example, if a caravan park makes your stay miserable by being over restrictive about do's and don'ts and someone wishes to mention that so be it. Remember what one person thinks is not good may be fine for another. However that is the spice of life, we are all different. having said that, one negative comment will probably have little or no difference to the said park, but if followed by say 6 more, there may be something in the complaint. The reason why we all use forums like this to be informed regarding our caravanning experiences, so I for one would be unhappy if negative reviews were not allowed. Then if the said park start losing business, it is wholly on them. They must sort their management out and provide an experience that will solicit good comments on forums like this. Having said that, I for one would be very disappointed if I bought a brand new van after seeing no negative reports to find out a forum had been removing them out of fear of some sort of backlash. If that were the case why bother with forums knowing you will not see the whole picture.

To a degree I understand and agree with some of your points regarding political correctness Grey, but surely we have to bear in mind that the right of free speech carries with it some responsibilities? We can all point to some truly absurd examples of 'political correctness gone mad', but don't forget that political correctness has also rendered examples of casual racism, sexism and homophobia within wider society not only socially unacceptable but in fact unlawful, and rightly so.
I highlighted part of your post and will try to answer it.
Yes, of course on an internet forum you can say whatever you like about anything that you want to if you actually own the internet forum where this takes place.
None of us own this particular internet forum and the people who do own it have a set of rules in place that we all agree to adhere to as a condition of membership.
In addition to the basic rules are a comprehensive set of Terms and Conditions which you have automatically agreed to abide by when you registered to open a forum membership account.
Unfortunately the rules that are in place on this forum mean that the principles of the much vaunted 'bastion of free speech' that you mentioned don't fully extend to these message boards, because restrictions on the freedom of speech are governed by the aforementioned rules.
There was a campsite review section for this website, and some legitimate criticism of campsites were allowed on it.
I'm not sure what happened to the review section on here and I really don't have the time or the inclination to search for it because it was never part of our moderator remit to look after it.
If we take your example of negative reviews of caravan parks on these message boards, the situation is quite clearly set out in Forum Etiquette, and broadly speaking the rules tell us to take the matter up with the park or business concerned.
Another point to consider is the possibility of the proprietor of a rival caravan park in the same area submitting several negative reviews to adversely affect the business that he's competing with, how would we know beyond doubt who was telling the truth?
If you look through various forum comments you'll see that no complaints about bad workmanship with regard to caravans that are written with due regard to the rules of this forum are ever removed, this forum is full of such complaints which go back for years, regardless of ''advertising revenue'' or any other sort of backlash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts