gaffer tape - window

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.
Our porch awning overlap's our window by about 10cm. Cannot move it due to door location. My question to you is can I use gaffer tape to stop scratches?
Thanks in. Advance.
Tony

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our awning overlaps the windows, we dont use anything as the awning "edges" dont seem to scratch the windows. Just dont stick tape to the windows, see what others think.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I suspect Gaffer tape will do more damage than the awning. On our last van the awning overlapped the window but the material never scratched it. Keep the window clean as it is muck on the window that can act as the scouring agent.
Mel

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Like the rest say , ours also overlaps as you can seein my profile pic, it's never scratched windows yet . As long as your windows clean it'll be fine , wouldn't be sticking anything to widows etc ,

Craig . :blush:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Under no circumstances apply anything with a glue or sticky to the Polyplastic windows. Even cellotape will cause damage.
Some kind of chemical reaction I recall.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Oh yes it's good stuff ....but about twelve years ago putting up the Xmas decorations i was stuck as how to hold a item or two to dangle from the plastic concervotory roof... yes it did the job but the residue is still there after all of that time. .. :( you couldn't seek the advice you are after at that time so things were just done and the consiquenses accepted.

Don't do it

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Sproket sounded like Grandmaster Flash then.

As the windows are plastic any solvents that you would normaly use for removing glue resisdue will degrade the plastic in the windows..

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
never had a problem with my awning over lapping on to window but just in case this season i am going to try a length of cling film where the padding touches the window.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Maybe the film that I use as a backing for an Aquarium might work, just put water on and it grips, but comes off with no residue of any sort.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
like some of the others we have had the problem and the windows suffered no damage. Just make sure it is the material rather than the pole that touches the window.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Guys for your advice. Going to put the awning up this weekend and keep it up until end of August, so fingers crossed.

Tony.

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
Good point. I am going to use pipe insulation on the rear poles and also cut thin strips from an exercise mat to place between the awning padding and the window. Hopefully this will do the job. I'm sure with the amount of time it will be erected some scuffs are inevitable, hopefully these measures will keep it to a minimum.

Cheers Tony

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
No Craig, a major boo boo on my behalf. No room to move its basically 10cms short. Yes I use storm straps, guy lines, ratchet straps and 18 inch marquee pegs. It's not going anywhere soon.

Tony

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts