Gardening Help

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a miniture Discovery eating apple tree in the garden and every year the fruit is attacked by the larva of, I believe, the codling moth (may be wrong). The fruit this year is all affected by small holes in the apple and a small larva inside. I have tried putting a net over the tree and also spraying in years gone by. I am now at the point of taking a hatchet to the tree and getting rid of it as I have yet to have a decent apple off it - always have to cut parts off before eating. Any suggestions in curing the problem prior to the hatchet would be much appreciated.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi Colin

If I were you I'd use the apples to make cider........once you've pressed them all, if you strain the liquid through some muslin that will get rid of the bugs!! Ah well, it was just a thought, hehehe ;-)

I'm sure I've read somewhere that you can buy a sort of pheromone trap to hang in the tree branches.......presumably the trap gives off a scent so irresistible to the male moths (I'm assuming it's the males, lol) that they then show no interest in mating with the poor females. I expect your local garden centre will have more of an idea.

Other than that, looks like your right arm will be getting some exercise swinging the hatchet! hehehe

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
The lavae of the codling moth over-winter in the ground at the base of the tree and then the moth crawls up the tree to lay eggs in the developing fruit. You can buy sticky bands to fix around the tree trunk which catch the moth and prevent this. I've done it in the past and it does work. Your local garden centre will have these. I think you need to put them on oin the autum/winter so that they are in place long before the moth gets going!

Jo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts