Gas BBQ

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We bought a COB as it looked so good. And it does work OK but just too much hassle, a bit like any BBQ in my opinion. But we are going off high fat foods these days. I like a good beef burger or sausage. But do try to limit consumption.

John
I am in agreement with you i also like a beef burger had two for lunch yummy ;)

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It’s not in the spirit of things I know. But for absolute ease and simplicity we now use a Teppanyaki. Works inside one out.

Quest Non-Stick Electric Teppanyaki Table Top Grill 2000W 35490BR by Quest color Black

John

Reactions: JezzerB and Anseo
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Here's a quick question re The Cadac,
What if anything do people use when using grill plate to catch the juices etc dropping into the main base?
Or am I not using mine right as I normally always line it with silver foil to save on cleaning when away. Any comments?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
What if anything do people use when using grill plate to catch the juices etc dropping into the main base?
Or am I not using mine right as I normally always line it with silver foil to save on cleaning when away. Any comments?
I just let them drip down and towards the end of the trip just wipe out with kitchen roll and wash it.

Reactions: JezzerB and Gagakev
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
The large black Trough, is the fat catcher, and on my otiginal one it said put water into the trough. Just about to buy a new fat catcher as the old one has burnt throuh. 12 years old.

Reactions: Gagakev and JezzerB
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Forgot-Had some left over-so it has been in the fridge but am sure you can see the pizza on our lunch today-sat in the awning in peaceful bliss on Lakeside caravan site, Thorney!

Attachments

• IMG20210601134232.jpg
    IMG20210601134232.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 10
Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
I've always used a small charcoal bbq until now but looking to switch to gas for convenience. i don't want a Cadac or similar. I've looked online at the Kampa Bruce and the Outwell Asado which are basically the same. Has anyone used one and if so are they any good? Anything similar out there that I haven't come across that is recommended.

They are a good little unit, I got my first one back when i had the Bailey lasted many years and i have bought another one as they take up little room and are light, I have alongside it got a quest traveller (similar to Cadac), have used both when home and away. I like gadgets and have also an electric bbq which has a built in flavour infuser if you choose to put herbs etc in it with a bit of water and i also have a griddle and kebab unit has 8 skewers which you place into the unit and it turns them slowly to cook evenly( both of which can be used indoors or out)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For that BBQ taste, Cadac is a waste of time and you might as well use a frying pan or even an old shovel like we used! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes. You don’t get the charcoal hint nor hickory . But for a caravanner I find the Cadac convenient especially for slow roasts with the lid on. Gas or electric BBQ will not give the full authentic flavour but a lot easier to light and turn off🤪🤪

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yes. You don’t get the charcoal hint nor hickory . But for a caravanner I find the Cadac convenient especially for slow roasts with the lid on. Gas or electric BBQ will not give the full authentic flavour but a lot easier to light and turn off🤪🤪
Actually I wasn't joking about the shovel as have used that over a hot fire to cook breakfast. Part of the fun in having a BBQ is waiting for the fire to get just right for your steak. Also cheaper than gas BBQ as we reuse the old charcoal.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Interesting article on the Gadget show about gas v charcoal-flavour won on the charcoal but consensus was the easy on off gas meant you'd use it far more-with wood chips or lava rocks as Hutch suggested on the cadac win win!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fortunately it’s beautiful weather here today in Wiltshire as my wife arranged a family bbq some weeks ago. Despite me telling her we would probably be in breach of the “ rules”. Well it’s going ahead with kids, grandkids and boyfriends, partners etc. and in all six households🤭 Minimal indoors contact and a composting toilet in the garden 😂

I will be using three bbqs, one Cadac and two charcoal so am well placed to carry out a comparative review. But as the day wears on and the Malbec takes effect objectivity will probably decline.

Mar 1, 2020
Visit site
Interesting to get others opinions. I must say I am quite impressed with the Bruce after its first outing. It certainly removes the need to wait for charcoal to get to hot and cooks well. Only slightly annoying thing was some of the rocks were small enough to fall through the gill they sit on but easily solved with some finer wire mesh. Cant fault it for the price.

Reactions: Hutch
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Fortunately it’s beautiful weather here today in Wiltshire as my wife arranged a family bbq some weeks ago. Despite me telling her we would probably be in breach of the “ rules”. Well it’s going ahead with kids, grandkids and boyfriends, partners etc. and in all six households🤭 Minimal indoors contact and a composting toilet in the garden 😂

I will be using three bbqs, one Cadac and two charcoal so am well placed to carry out a comparative review. But as the day wears on and the Malbec takes effect objectivity will probably decline.
Hi otherclive would have to agree with the weather it sunny and warm here nice for a BBQ we are going to my son he does a good one and it be nice to catch up I hope you also have a nice day (y)

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Beachball. Haven’t seen our son properly since last June apart from a short meet at Aust services car park to swop Christmas presents.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts