Gas BBQ

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We are not fans of gas BBQs however we have purchased a Campingaz Attitude 2Go gas BBQ to use during the winter months as we can also use it in the conservatory area. It comes standard with the hose that can be attached to a CV470 gas cylinder.

However each cylinder lasts about 2.5 hours so can work out expensive. I want to remove the current hose and fit a new hose with a connector for it to clip onto the gas connector on the side of the caravan. I assume that this should not be an issue as the pressure is regulated. However I also thought of having an additional connector with a short hose with a Butane connector for use at home.

So from gas BBQ when using at home the hose with the coupling connector for the caravan. Then if I want to use it at home using the butane bottle I connect it to the coupling that has the butane connected on it.

Do you think this is feasible as using circlips to make sure there are no gas leaks?

Links to the same picture removed . There is no need to link 4 times to the same picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I converted our Cadac from camping gaz to take a larger butane cylinder fir home use as the camping gaz is quite expensive. Then when we took it touring I just exchanged the regulator. So what you are proposing seems feasible but you need to keep an eye on the condition of the hose as they aren’t normally swopped about a lot.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I converted our Cadac from camping gaz to take a larger butane cylinder fir home use as the camping gaz is quite expensive. Then when we took it touring I just exchanged the regulator. So what you are proposing seems feasible but you need to keep an eye on the condition of the hose as they aren’t normally swopped about a lot.
It will mainly be used at home with odd occasion in caravan as we still prefer a charcoal BBQ at the moment. :D

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
I have done almost exactly this for my home. Our gas BBQ at home is in propane. I cut the propane regulator off put a female quick fit adapter on the end then a male connector on the regulator hose. I then made another hose with make connector and a domestic large gas cylinder regulator on it. I can now use patio gas or my large house cylinders on my BBQ if it runs out! Bonus is our cadac also has a male adapter so can take cadac home to use too.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I have done almost exactly this for my home. Our gas BBQ at home is in propane. I cut the propane regulator off put a female quick fit adapter on the end then a male connector on the regulator hose. I then made another hose with make connector and a domestic large gas cylinder regulator on it. I can now use patio gas or my large house cylinders on my BBQ if it runs out! Bonus is our cadac also has a male adapter so can take cadac home to use too.
Sounds like a great idea(y)

Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just cook some rump steak and farmer's sausage on the gas grill. It has a grid and not a solid plate.
I have to say that I am really impressed as steak was perfect despite my misgivings about gas BBQs. Sausage was also delightful.

Reactions: Kevin M
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The description of teh product in teh link provided does not tell you what pressure the gas should be delivered at.
"Runs off: R907 or any bulk size LPG gas bottle (different regulator required) " but it does not declare its required working pressure.

To run off the BBQ point on a caravan the BBQ should be rated at 30mBar Butane/Propane. If it's not then it should not be used as it might be unsafe.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
According to Campinggaz,
description
The Gas Hose and Regulator Kit for Campingaz is an essential accessory for anyone who wants to connect their Campingaz 904 or 907 butane gas cylinder to their gas stove or barbeque. The kit contains a 28 mbar regulator with 80mm of hose. Not compatible with EN417 threaded gas cartridges.
That’s 2 mbar less than my Propane Calor regulator.
Is that ok Prof?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
According to Campinggaz,
description
The Gas Hose and Regulator Kit for Campingaz is an essential accessory for anyone who wants to connect their Campingaz 904 or 907 butane gas cylinder to their gas stove or barbeque. The kit contains a 28 mbar regulator with 80mm of hose. Not compatible with EN417 threaded gas cartridges.
Is that ok Prof?
Lawfully I have to say it's not OK, becasue the the rated pressure is different to the regulator its being used with. Read into that what you will.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
According to Campinggaz,
description
Is that ok Prof?
I don't see a problem with that however the unit that I have uses a 470 cartridge. The Campingaz 904 & 907 I think are refillable cylinders which you exchange.
I also found this;
A new feature on the Attitude BBQ's is Campingaz® Blue Flame burners making the Attitude BBQ's economic to use with low gas consumption. Campingaz therefore advise these BBQ's are suitable for use with Campingaz R907 Refillable gas cylinders. You can use the Attitude 2 Go on Propane or Butane Gas Cylinders. you just need to fit a Hose & Regulator to suit your Gas Cylinder.
The Attitude 2go barbecue benefits from even heat distribution thanks to the Campingaz Blue Flame burner system powered by either a Campingaz 907 gas cylinder or any gas cylinder (from 3 to 15 kg, butane 28mbar/propane 37 mbar).

Source
here.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't see a problem with that however the unit that I have uses a 470 cartridge. The Campingaz 904 & 907 I think are refillable cylinders which you exchange.
Yes mine fir touring is/was a 904 that makes Calor exchange price look a bargain. But at least the Cadac tends to be on a low setting fo r most cooking.

Reactions: Buckman

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I also found this;
A new feature on the Attitude BBQ's is Campingaz® Blue Flame burners making the Attitude BBQ's economic to use with low gas consumption. Campingaz therefore advise these BBQ's are suitable for use with Campingaz R907 Refillable gas cylinders. You can use the Attitude 2 Go on Propane or Butane Gas Cylinders. you just need to fit a Hose & Regulator to suit your Gas Cylinder.
The Attitude 2go barbecue benefits from even heat distribution thanks to the Campingaz Blue Flame burner system powered by either a Campingaz 907 gas cylinder or any gas cylinder (from 3 to 15 kg, butane 28mbar/propane 37 mbar).

Source
here.
Prior to 30mb bulkhead regulators being introduced in the UK (a barmy NCC idea which added cost and introduced unreliability to caravans/motor caravans), we were all using 28mb Butane or 37mb Propane bottle regulators. Very low cost and reliable and still used by many leisure vehicle manufacturers outside UK.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The adoption of the 30mBar standard, that was not an NCC idea, it was an EU directive which sought to normalise LPG gas supply pressures across the EU. Several countrie inc Germany used to use a 50mBar system, and that was a much bigger change for them.

I spent about 12 months testing and having to seek 30mBar approvals on a range of products that were previously rated 28mB Butane and 37mB Propane. Some appliances needed new burner injectors and redesigns of venturis to comply but many did not and could accept the new pressure without any mechanical modification.

However we were not allowed to simply stick new data plates on the products, we had to resubmit each type of appliance for a new approval and CE mark.

The Gas Safety Regulations requires that you must only use an appliance that is specified to work on the installation's supply pressure. So legally you cannot fit a 28mBar appliance to a 30mBar supply or vice versa, even if its only 2mBar differnt.

If a product can be safely and lawfully used on 30mBar its data plate will include the 30mBar specification.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
The adoption of the 30mBar standard, that was not an NCC idea, it was an EU directive which sought to normalise LPG gas supply pressures across the EU. Several countrie inc Germany used to use a 50mBar system, and that was a much bigger change for them.

I spent about 12 months testing and having to seek 30mBar approvals on a range of products that were previously rated 28mB Butane and 37mB Propane. Some appliances needed new burner injectors and redesigns of venturis to comply but many did not and could accept the new pressure without any mechanical modification.

However we were not allowed to simply stick new data plates on the products, we had to resubmit each type of appliance for a new approval and CE mark.

The Gas Safety Regulations requires that you must only use an appliance that is specified to work on the installation's supply pressure. So legally you cannot fit a 28mBar appliance to a 30mBar supply or vice versa, even if its only 2mBar differnt.

If a product can be safely and lawfully used on 30mBar its data plate will include the 30mBar specification.
Yes I agree about the EU Directive which standardised the use of 30mb regulators, but that Directive did not require a 2 stage Truma branded bulkhead regulator and a high pressure hose which the UK manufacturers standardised. In my opinion, a commercial decision using the opportunity to add value (and profit )to UK products. An NCC decision which cost us customers dearly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EU Directives and indeed most UK legislation does not specify a particular manufacturers product. I must admit to being very surprised if the NCC specified a particular manufacturers product, especially as Truma are not a UK company, and there are plenty of UK based gas regulator manufacturers and suppliers. The choice of regulator to fit would be down to the caravan manufacturer.

I do know that in the early 2000's Truma were actively pushing to increase UK market share, having recently purchased Carver's leisure product division, and several other leisure product manufacturers they may have offered some attractive deals to caravan manufacturers.

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts