Gas Bottle content

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Shake it! :rolleyes:

Or weigh the cylinder when full. (And make a note of it)!
Then weigh it again once used for a while, as the weight decrease gets close to the cylinders capacity (6kg?) its nearly run out ;)

Or put another weigh (geddit)
If the cylinder weighs 12kg full, and has a 6kg capacity if is subsequently weighs 9kg its half empty. 50% of the 6kg has has been used leaving the cylinder weighing 9kg, simples!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Experience gained through time, and taking it and giving a gentle shake. The gauges fitted to Calorlite were useless going from hero to zero very quickly.

Reactions: Hutch
Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I have a cheap set of travel luggage scales. Weigh the bottle... On the aluminium disc around the base of the outlet is the empty bottle weight. Subtract that from the weight you got on the scales, job jobbed!

The only niggle is the bottle weight is in pounds & ounces, the gas weight is in KG!

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If you use a two bottle system. I find the easy way is to only use one bottle at a time, even if there is an auto change over valve, I just don't use that. In this way, when one runs out, I just swap onto the full one which gives me enough time to buy a replacement.

My method is only problematic if using gas heating and it's cold and it runs out in the night.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I just lift it to see how heavy it feels and compare it with the empty one next to it. When it feels light I get the spare exchanged to swap when I need to.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you use a two bottle system. I find the easy way is to only use one bottle at a time, even if there is an auto change over valve, I just don't use that. In this way, when one runs out, I just swap onto the full one which gives me enough time to buy a replacement.

My method is only problematic if using gas heating and it's cold and it runs out in the night.

John
With your approach no gas is wasted when you exchange for a refill. At one time not too much of a problem but with gas prices as they are “ every little bit helps”

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From a practical perspective, its likely to be most helpful to be able to easily ascertain how much gas remains in the bottle at a glance. If you simply rely on when the cooker goes out, that's really too late for convenience. But in times gone by that's how it was.

Mr Plod in #2 has explained the most accurate method, but it isn't exactly convenient. but there are other methods:-

I googled the subject and found this, which seems to offer some good advice and information

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
From a practical perspective, its likely to be most helpful to be able to easily ascertain how much gas remains in the bottle at a glance. If you simply rely on when the cooker goes out, that's really too late for convenience. But in times gone by that's how it was.

Mr Plod in #2 has explained the most accurate method, but it isn't exactly convenient. but there are other methods:-

I googled the subject and found this, which seems to offer some good advice and information
That's not a very cost effective item as it is sticky backed. Also you have to either pour hot water over it or use a hairdryer or heat gun to activate it.

Jun 6, 2006
Visit site
I use the pick it up and move it gently side to side or front to back, if you imagine the canister as a bucket with water in you can generally feel roughly the height of the liquid LPG in the bottle or water in the bucket. It’s only a rough guide but works for me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That's not a very cost effective item as it is sticky backed. Also you have to either pour hot water over it or use a hairdryer or heat gun to activate it.
Your Right... I clicked the wrong link, Please check this

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm in the 'when it runs out its empty' camp. Being frugal I'm not giving back a tank with any of my gas in it. I even cut toothpaste tubes in half to empty them out completely. :)

At home we have two 19kg cyclinders for the house cooker hob. I avoided putting in an automatic changeover since the possibility exists that you can finish up with two empty tanks. Now when one runs out I just change over manually and order a new bottle.

For the van we have as backup a portable electric hotplate and there's always the microwave, kettle and toaster as we're never off grid.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I'm in the 'when it runs out its empty' camp. Being frugal I'm not giving back a tank with any of my gas in it. I even cut toothpaste tubes in half to empty them out completely. :)

At home we have two 19kg cyclinders for the house cooker hob. I avoided putting in an automatic changeover since the possibility exists that you can finish up with two empty tanks. Now when one runs out I just change over manually and order a new bottle.

For the van we have as backup a portable electric hotplate and there's always the microwave, kettle and toaster as we're never off grid.
Got the T-shirt! It lulls you into a false sense of security and then bites at the worst possible time, when you're halfway through cooking the evening meal and all the gas stockists are shut.

TRENDING THREADS