Gas bottles, regulators etc...

Jan 16, 2010
Visit site
As some of you have read, I have recently purchased a cheap old caravan which seems generally ok. The chap promised me all the gas applices worked, but we didn't have a bottle to check, but for 2 hundred quid I thought I'd risk it!!! Anyway, on opening the gas locker there appears to be a black rubber tubr coming from the caravans metal gas pipe... it has nothing on the end...

My question is what do I need to 'get it to work'? Propane or butane? Do they both need a regulator? Is a regulator built into the van or something? Any help appreciated!

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
You will need propane at this time of year get a 6kg bottle of calor light ( light stands for light weight bottle ) they weigh 10kg approx when full.

gas bottle weights

May 5, 2005
Visit site
They will work on either but as previously posted in cold weather you need propane,if you intend to only use it spring or summer butane is fine.We use Flogas for which no deposit is payable against the bottle Calor take a deposit and is more expensive although it is widely available.Flogas is more from hire shops etc like Plantool but I have never struggled to get it.

G

I woyuld strongly recommend you get an approved dealer to check all the gas systems before using them. It will cost you another coupe of hundred quid, but it may save your life, so to my mind is a cheap deal. What appears to work, may not be safe.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Matthew.

I assume that when you say a 'cheap' caravan you are talking about one that is either rather old, or has been damaged in some way. you mention a Cascade 2, and assuming it was the original unit that dates the caravan between 1985 and 2000.

If the above is true then the caravan will have been designed for use with Butane and Propane LPG.

In the UK butane would be run at 28mBar and Propane at 37mBar. There pressure is controlled by the regulator which you buy according to the gas type. The regulators will either clip or screw to the gas bottles, and cannot be fixed to the wrong type bottle so you cant make an easy mistake.

Even though caravans do not usually receive a lot of real usage (compared to a domestic gas system) they do deteriorate simply by age and also due to the long periods of inactivity. For that reason the advice to have the system checked before you use it is very good advice. I also argue that the same applies to the electrics.

at 37mBar. pressure The pressure is deteremined by the rughulator

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts