gas butane///propane

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
hi new to caravaning ,,,i have a butane gas bottle <calor> can i swap to propane as i have been told better to stick with propane as its better for the cold weather ...?? thanks ,,rob

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Yes, did it two years ago in cold snap. You'll need new regulator - screw in type. Make sure the hose is properly connected, if in doubt ask expert.
I think you have to go to a Calor distributor, not just ordinary retailer, to change un-like bottles. Check on calor website for your local one.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Propane is only "better" if you plan to use gas while the outside temperature is less than about 4 degrees C. Otherwise butane works perfectly OK, and weight for weight produces slightly more heat than propane. You will not need a new regulator if your caravan is the more modern type with a regulator fixed onto the bulkhead, but you will need a new pigtail, which is the pipe between the gas bottle and the regulator.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob,
Am I correct in thinking that your last post is asking about exhanging the bottles?

If so, you can only exchange bottles for ones from the same supplier (i.e. Shell for Shell, Flow gas for Flow gas and Calor for Calor etc)
Most suppliers only offer Propane gas, but Calor are different in offering both. Most Calor dealers will allow yo to exchange Calor Butane for Calor Propane and Vice Versa.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rob.

Until last winter, I'd always used butane gas. It worked fine down to -10 in our van. But due to the severe cold last winter, I changed to Propane. My 11Kg bottle of shell gas (changed at a flow gas stockist)has so far lasted from mid November 2010 to now without a refill.

Calor will do a swap at any of it's agents and you will need to get the regulator and connector pipe changed. It's a bit more expensive, but I would opt for the hand wheel bottle connection. It's easier to use.

The gas is a bit dearer to refill. So what I've done is to keep my second butane bottle to swap back when the Propane runs out. I want to do that this time to see how many days I get to 11Kgs of gas.

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
hi thanks for all the inf,,, i went to a local shop and he swaped it for me, paid £15.50 for a 4.kl propane is this about the price seems a bit steep as i could have had a 7kl for an extra £4 but he never had any ,,,rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

When you were on Butane gas you were basically limited to Calor, as (with the exception of camping Gaz) I am not aware of any other brand supplier selling butane in samll bottles for caravans on a nationwide basis.(Someomns bound to prove me wrong
smiley-undecided.gif
) Becasue of this monopoly Calor charge a premium price.

However now as you are using Propane, there are many alternative suppliers who may be significantly cheaper than Calor. and they all use the same bottle connector.- check out your local builders merchants or look in yellow pages for gas suppliers. The only down side is you will have to rent a new bottle from any new supplier as they wont exchange differnt brands -

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John Griffiths said:
You will not need a new regulator if your caravan is the more modern type with a regulator fixed onto the bulkhead, but you will need a new pigtail, which is the pipe between the gas bottle and the regulator.

Hi, could you elaborate on the new pigtail bit please.

Many thanks.

Lisa

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,
On caravans with the fixed bulkhead regulators, the hose from the gas cylinder to the regulator is called a "Pigtail" (dont ask why,I dont know).
There are , for the UK, two different types, Butane and Propane.
Both have an M20 nut at one end which connects to the regulator.
The Butane pigtail has a let hand thread nut at the other which connects to the cylinder, or to an adaptor for clip on type cylinders.
The Propane pigtail has a POL bullnose fitting which fits into the connecting device on the Propane cylinder.
Some of the Propane ones have a handwheel fited and the bullnose has a rubber seal at the tip, which makes having to find the spanner to tighten it a thing of the past, and the rubber seal ensures a gas tight conection

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The gas price seems a bit steep.

My shell gas propane was £19 for an eleven Kg bottle.
Butane was £12 for a 7Kg refill last yaer at my local plat hire company in Leominster (flo gas agents).
They did the bottle swap for free as they are both flo gas & shell gas agents.
Damian's right on the money about the pig tails. They are a bit pricey from the caravan dealers but easily and cheaply found on fleabay.
I have even found a fridge tray for our thetford fridge on there at 50% below our local Swift dealership price and got it next day for free post instead of waiting 3 weeks for the standard order from the dealership.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts