Gas Changeover

May 2, 2005
Visit site
I have both a Butane and Propane gas bottle. When it gets cold I have to change to the Propane supply which means I have to change the valve over on the flexible hose. Is it worth me getting one of those Gas Changeover Valves fitted with Butane on one branch and propnae on the other branch?...can this be done?

Or would I be better just having Propane and swapping the Butane bottle?...or what? What are the pro's and con's of all Propane vs Butane / Propane?

Thanks for any help.....

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I've always thought that the regulators (and the change over valves) were different for propane and butane. I've always run only on propane and never had any problems so if I were you, I'd swop to propane, it will save some hassle!

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It's easier to switch permanently to propane. It works out marginally more expensive but saves the cost of a change-over set-up.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You can't retro-fit a fixed regulator to a caravan built before they became standard. There's no technical reason why a qualified gas fitter couldn't do it but it goes againt all safety advice and would probably invalidate your insurance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I use Butane in the summer and Propane in the winter. Butane is a cleaner gas, you get more heat out of it and the bottles are bigger. Propane is less clean, and the bottle does not go as far. Unfortunately you can not mix changover valves. I use two gaslow manual changeover valves, one for butane and the other for propane. The Butane changoever is unneccsary as it is quick and easy to swap bottles with the pushfit style bottle connectors.

One word of advice, with the auto changeover valves, in cold weather they tend to switch bottles too soon and you can end up with a lot of gas left over.

May 2, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice....

RogerL...Never even thought of the insurance angle, thanks for that...

Craig....I got the jist...I have also had days like that...

To the rest, thanks for the help...

Happy caravanning to you all

David and Jacquie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts