Gas Hose

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
When I purchased my latest van ( Avondale Landranger) I had an outside Gas Quick Release Coupling fitted on the side to save having to lug gas bottles about when cooking on my gas Barby.

This is a very handy feature except for one thing, when you have the awning up you would have to either barby inside the awning (not a good idea)or set the barby up just outside the awning so that a nice amount of fat gets splashed all over your awning sides. The reason for this is because gas regs only allow a max length of 2 metres of gas hose when really you would need about 4 metres to be a suitable distance from the awning sides. Has anybody else got experience of this and is there an answer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Graham, My solution to this is to use a separate cylinder, the smallest one Calor do is ideal. This means I can have the Barby exactly where I want it in relation to wind direction etc. Another bonus is a spare in case of emergency instead of carrying two large, and if no Barby's are planed...... leave it at home!

Regards

Graham F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a similar gas point on my Sterling caravan. I called in to my local caravan accessories shop, asked for 4 metres of gas hose. The assistant disappeared throuygh the back briefly and I walked out a few minutes later with my purchase.

He didn't mention gas regs - who/what says that there are regs that limit the length of hose that can be used ?

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Merv

Dave Barrons Caravans and Stewart Longton Caravans both said the same. Also if you go onto http://www.caravanning-online.co.uk/ you will get the same advice. Perhaps I should go to your dealer who was it???

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can buy gas hose from any good plumbing merchant who deals with Calor gas as well. I have just bought 4 metres of it, plus connectors for each end, no problem.

The only thing to bear in mind with extra length is the drop in gas pressure you will experience.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Graham,

I am not aware of a any legal limit to the length of a low pressure gas hose, However I am not fully up to date with the latest Gas Regs.

It is simply good sence to keep a flexible hose as short as is reasonably possible. It helps to prevent tripping, and as Damien hints at under extreme lengths and or very large burners, ther could be a pressure drop,though for most BBQ's used on camp sites that shouldn't be a problem.

It may be worth mentioning that you must use the correct grade of hose manufactured to BS3212 Part 2. Other types of hose may be attacted by the petroluem base of LPG.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Graham the max length for low pressure hose is 2mts , high pressure is longer but a caravan dealer will not sell more than 2mts .I suggest a visit to a calor gas dealer they will sell you more that faling Essex camping sell it mail order to.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham the max length for low pressure hose is 2mts , high pressure is longer but a caravan dealer will not sell more than 2mts .I suggest a visit to a calor gas dealer they will sell you more that faling Essex camping sell it mail order to.
Hello Mike,

I must be out of date with my knowledge. Please will you specify which regulations apply?

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
John L

I dont know the specific regulation but they tell me it is a CORGI one. I have now purchased 4 metres of hose from a "non CORGI" supplier

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts