Gas on While in Storage

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Is it a bad idea to leave the gas fire on very low setting when the caravan is in outside storage yard. Its just that ive had the van home for a month laying new lino and some new bits and bobs and would like to discourage any moisture by keeping the fire on low,

One thing that does concern me is the amount of gas it would use

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It would be a waste of gas to keep it on while the caravan is in storage because humid air will constantly be drawn in from outside. Better to turn the heating on for a shorter time but at a high setting when you take the caravan out of storage.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gas appliances shouldn't be left on if the caravan's not occupied - surely a major safety risk to your own caravan and others nearby in the same storage area.

Jul 25, 2005
Visit site
Davie,

I would check your storage contract(if you have one)as mine states "No gas to be left in caravans while in storage" This is for fire risk reasons,

Regards Pop

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
The problem with moisture traps like dehumidifiers is unless you block up the vents you are trying to dry out the air both inside and outside your van,could take a while.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tony

You are correct that burning LPG you produce water vapour, but that is actually true of burning any Hydro-Carbon fuel, it is a by product of combustion.

Most caravans soldin the UK were fitted with heaters manufactured by Carver or Truma. A feature of all the heater products from these manufactures is that they are "Room sealed".

This means that air for combustion is drawn through a tube from under the caravan, it is mixed with the gas and burnt inside a heat exchanger, and the products of combustion (including the water) are expelelled throuhgh a flue pipe to the outside.

This arrangement is very safe provided the heater and flue are mintained correctly. You will only get hot air inside the caravan with no added water or other flue products.

Products from other manfactures may have open flues that could discharge flue products inside the caravan if the flue is blocked.

or Electrolux. Ther are som other minor manufcatuers

Mar 25, 2006
Visit site
Do not leave ANY gas heater or anything else lit in your caravan

whilst in storage not only is it dangerous it is against Insurance Regulations trust me dont do it Aitch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts