Gas to charcoal BBQ.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have one of these Gas BBQs, I bought it for shorter times away, rather than take our Cadac away with us.
I have recently been wondering if I could use it with Big lump charcoal, and just use the gas to light the coals. And then after use, just brush the gas vents clean. Like the old gas poker to light the coal in an open fire. 😲
Has anyone tried this. ?

1648668389229.png

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello hutch,

I think I have had the exact same model many years ago. I never tried it with charcoal...

But in theory yes you could replace the lava rock with charcoal and then use the gas to light it once, but there are two things that make me wonder if it's wise or worth it.

Most charcoal grills restrict the amount of air that can get to the bed of the charcoal otherwise it will tend to burn hotter than needed, and get through a lot more of the fuel,

And secondly as the charcoal turns to ash, it will fall onto the gas burner bar and in conjunction with the fat from cooking will beging to occlude the burner which will dramatically change the way it works and could actually prevent it from working . The burner is quite difficult to clear.

But its your choice.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Don't see why not!
Basically all you are doing is using the gas flames to ignite lumps of charcoal. Once lit the gas is no longer required and can be turned off.
The design of that BBQ is little different from those that are sold just for charcoal so I can't see how the burning characteristics would change - can you?
As for residue falling on to burners then of course there will be an amount of ash but no more fat than would escape through the hot lava rock - maybe considerably less.
I would give it a go and see what transpires. Shame you can't simply withdraw the gas burner once the charcoal is properly lit and before cooking.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks lads I think I will have to make up a couple of Kebabs and try it out in the garden, before taking it away in the caravan. As younsay Prof, airflow might be a problem. We shall see.

I did recieve one of those Portable , disposable BBQ stands from the CC, with a cool bag, for introducing a friend, but it seems a waste of a bigish BBQ for a couple of trout and a few sausages. But if you buy a 6 pack of disposable ones from Amazon they end up quite cheap.

Y ou can't win save gas and electric, but pollute, the atmosphere,
Man cannot live on Beer and lettuce alone.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Prof is correct as that what happened with a friend of ours who removed the lava rock and used charcoal instead. Charcoal would light but due to restricted air flow would not burn properly. Plus the holes on the gas pipe got blocked up. he bought a new grill.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts