GB plates will not be acceptable for driving abroad.

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I read in this mornings paper that the police in Spain are being quite vigorous in chasing up UK registered cars that are not displaying the new UK identifier. Another aspect I hadn’t been aware of is that from the end of 2022 visitors to Schengen countries will need to possess an ETIAS visa waiver valid for three years. But like the scheme for the US and some other countries ETIAS can be applied for online.
I guess that is one way to chase away UK visitors bringin income into Spain which was hard hit by the pandemic. Not the cleverest thing to be doing at this time especially as many will have already been there for several weeks..

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I guess that is one way to chase away UK visitors bringin income into Spain which was hard hit by the pandemic. Not the cleverest thing to be doing at this time especially as many will have already been there for several weeks..
It’s not as if it’s come as a complete surprise and I’m sure they could have bought stickers online.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
According to Auto Express the UK government has decided that GB plates will not be acceptable for driving abroad.

Instead we will be required to sport "UK" plates. This is to indicate the inclusion of N Ireland.

Date of introduction not finalised.
....and, no, it isn't April 1st !
Don't ask me why but NI has never been part of GB.
In over 30 years travelling in France never had "uk" or "gb" plates fitted.Never been stopped.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
The stupid bit is that if you have GB on your plate in the UK after 29th September you are technically committing a traffic offence. You may not get stopped but it may be used against you if you are stopped for other offences, and you could get stopped coming into this country when returning from Europe.

Barmy, or what?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Don't ask me why but NI has never been part of GB.
In over 30 years travelling in France never had "uk" or "gb" plates fitted.Never been stopped.
The single Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the 1707 Acts of Union between the kingdoms of England (which at the time incorporated Wales) and Scotland - at that time, Ireland was a separate Kingdom - the term "United Kingdom" became official in 1801 when the parliaments of Great Britain and Ireland each passed an Act of Union uniting the two kingdoms and creating the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland which became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1921 when the rest of Ireland became independent

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The stupid bit is that if you have GB on your plate in the UK after 29th September you are technically committing a traffic offence. You may not get stopped but it may be used against you if you are stopped for other offences, and you could get stopped coming into this country when returning from Europe.

Barmy, or what?
It wouldn’t prevent you coming back into UK. We don’t even have to have national identifiers on our plates.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
It wouldn’t prevent you coming back into UK. We don’t even have to have national identifiers on our plates.

Agreed, but if you <do> have the identifier then it must be correct. You probably wouldn't get stopped from coming into the UK but you could still be given a ticket!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Agreed, but if you <do> have the identifier then it must be correct. You probably wouldn't get stopped from coming into the UK but you could still be given a ticket!
Where have you read that having GB on your number plate identifier space would lead to a ticket. Drivers go around with England, Scotland and Wales and I’ve never read of anyone being fined. Can you provide a link to an official source to support your statement?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I cannot imagine that anyone on the Continent cares two hoots whether one has a GB or a UK sticker. It only serves to allow the country where the vehicle is registered to be identified, in particular if a traffic offence has been committed. After decades of being used to GB the origin of a vehicle displaying it should be abundantly clear. Indeed, I reckon that quite a lot of people on the Continent are now scratching their heads, asking themselves where that funny UK identifier originates from. The Ukraine perhaps? UK doesn’t readily mean anything to anyone abroad.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
United Kingdom is not a readily used term on the other side of the Channel. For many it’s all England to them. I’ve lost track of the number of times that I’ve tried to explain the differences between England, Great Britain and United Kingdom to foreigners.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
United Kingdom is not a readily used term on the other side of the Channel. For many it’s all England to them.
They are just forecasting the future perhaps.

Notwithstanding I wonder if our 2024 Olympic team will be Team UK?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
United Kingdom is not a readily used term on the other side of the Channel. For many it’s all England to them. I’ve lost track of the number of times that I’ve tried to explain the differences between England, Great Britain and United Kingdom to foreigners.
Many from US and Canada have the same issue, even a minority with ancestors in Scotland, Wales or Ireland still refer to England as their generic term.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......my tow car and caravan are already made legal for towing abroad!
You simply have to attach the correct signage by way of stickers which are easily obtained.
Spain requires a full sized oval UK sign on the back of car and caravan whereas the rest of Europe will accept converted car and caravan registration plates without the oval sign.

Using UK for a country identifier is no stranger than using ......
CH for Switzerland
D for Germany
E for Spain

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Where have you read that having GB on your number plate identifier space would lead to a ticket. Drivers go around with England, Scotland and Wales and I’ve never read of anyone being fined. Can you provide a link to an official source to support your statement?
There are probably a couple of milliion cars in the UK with GB and the Euro stars still on their number plates. Can't see them being given a ticket or being a MOT fail. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are probably a couple of milliion cars in the UK with GB and the Euro stars still on their number plates. Can't see them being given a ticket or being a MOT fail. LOL! :D
You’re right, they won’t be as it’s not illegal. Just another Internet hare set loose.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Quickly please as I take my car for an MOT this Wednesday.
What has a GB or UK sticker got to do with the MOT? The purpose of the MOT is to check whether the vehicle is roadworthy, not whether it is legal. It's surely no less roadworthy if it has a GB sticker.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
What has a GB or UK sticker got to do with the MOT? The purpose of the MOT is to check whether the vehicle is roadworthy, not whether it is legal. It's surely no less roadworthy if it has a GB sticker.
I think it was a bit of humour and not serious?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Some aspects of registration plates are checked at MoT as per the links in my above post. But not anything to do with national identifier etc. That’s why you can buy online plates from suppliers that don’t check your eligibility. But they still conform to the physical legal requirements whilst theoretically not being legally supplied.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts