General obsevation and a bit of a moan!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Rowntree Park two weeks ago was 70/30 motorhomes/caravans. This does appear to be the trend.
Not sure which camp I'm in, as I've got both!
Mind you, total age of caravan and campervan is 71 years, and yes we sometimes do feel that we are "looked down on" by the owners of expensive motorhomes and caravans, but quite often we get people come over to admire the old vans as well. You know, the "I used to have one of these" brigade, and very nice it is too, as I'm always ready to talk about our lovely old kit.
The main reason we keep them is that our lifestyle revolves around retro caravanning, and we are very early members of the Retro Caravan Club, which only accepts older vans.
Plus the fact that I read so many complaints about poor quality newer vans, and see so many in my friend's workshop for damp repairs.
So I'll stick to my oldies, thank you, and my 25 year-old Range Rover towcar.
If you see us on site, either Royale caravan or Talbot camper van, come on over. You might even get a glass of wine!

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
The reason there's so many M/H on Rowntree Park is that they don't have to move to get into town. You also find that any site as handy for town as York has a high proportion of MH. Beechwood Grange the other York C&MHC site in York doesn't have as a high proportion of MH as you have to transport yourselves into town by some means or other.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
The reason there's so many M/H on Rowntree Park is that they don't have to move to get into town. You also find that any site as handy for town as York has a high proportion of MH. Beechwood Grange the other York C&MHC site in York doesn't have as a high proportion of MH as you have to transport yourselves into town by some means or other.

I wouldn't call Bracelands in the Forest of Dean handy for anywhere, thats why its so nice. But after carefully watching motor homers daily antics I have come to the conclusion that they are far more amenable to walking and catching public transport, rather than tidying up the MH and then trying to find somewhere to park it after navigating country lanes.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Gabsgrandad said:
Where are their bus passes :blink:

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Guess what, despite Brexit we're going all continental.
Most of the posts have described what we have seen in Spain and France over the past six or eight years. 'Proper' campsite numbers in France have declined with the increase of low cost or free Aires which only take motorvans.
As you travel along main roads in France and look at caravan dealers it's hard to see any trailer vans.
In Spain winter/spring the same story. Huge motorvans occupying relatively small pitches with no regard to the fact they shade out others on adjoing pitches or stick out into the relatively narrow campsite soads or can't drive the dmn things anyway and back into you awning without a word of regret or apology as they fail to make the corner.
Many quiet beaches are spoiled by ranks of MVs wild camping. They also inhabit unfinished housing developments, park on the roads and dump toilet tanks down the drains. Guarda Civil move them off the beaches from time to time or when the weather gets bad. This is the reason many Spanish campsites have very high charges for one or two nights with big discounts for long stay.
Now, as they say, some of my best friends have motor vans. But they know how to drive them, are respectful about their pitch neighbours and are equally critical of their uncouth fellows.
Over the years the size has increased from the basic Transit/ Ductto to huge monsters with slide out sides. These are true mobile homes not recreational vehicles and are out of place on small rural basic campsites.

Rant over, but beware of the shape of things to come.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
We have, today, returned from week at the C&MC Meathop fell site, didn't take van this time, stayed in one of the flats in the main lodge. Looking out over the site there appeared to be a 50/50 mix of Motor Homes and Caravans,
Quite a few towing a small motor, touring in reverse, you might say.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
RayS said:
Guess what, despite Brexit we're going all continental.
Most of the posts have described what we have seen in Spain and France over the past six or eight years. 'Proper' campsite numbers in France have declined with the increase of low cost or free Aires which only take motorvans.
As you travel along main roads in France and look at caravan dealers it's hard to see any trailer vans.
In Spain winter/spring the same story. Huge motorvans occupying relatively small pitches with no regard to the fact they shade out others on adjoing pitches or stick out into the relatively narrow campsite soads or can't drive the dmn things anyway and back into you awning without a word of regret or apology as they fail to make the corner.
Many quiet beaches are spoiled by ranks of MVs wild camping. They also inhabit unfinished housing developments, park on the roads and dump toilet tanks down the drains. Guarda Civil move them off the beaches from time to time or when the weather gets bad. This is the reason many Spanish campsites have very high charges for one or two nights with big discounts for long stay.
Now, as they say, some of my best friends have motor vans. But they know how to drive them, are respectful about their pitch neighbours and are equally critical of their uncouth fellows.
Over the years the size has increased from the basic Transit/ Ductto to huge monsters with slide out sides. These are true mobile homes not recreational vehicles and are out of place on small rural basic campsites.

Rant over, but beware of the shape of things to come.
u

Surely a premiere league rant. Prize goes to Ray. :)

When we sold our van in 2014 we did consider a motor home. But we felt they were too restrictive of what we like to do, and packing up to go out each day was a negative. One option was a larger one capable of towing a small car, but with my licence limit being restricted to 3500kg without annual refreshers that option got discarded. So in 2017 we opted back into caravans. But there may come a time as circumstances change that a motor home could be an attractive means of being able to get out and live in the countryside. One advantage being they are generally well catered for parking in French and European towns which isn't the case here.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
General observation, no moan but when we were away last weekend at Barnard Castle , I estimated that there was more Motor homes than there was caravans on the site , and even a 5th wheeler motorhome , some expensive ones too, the one in front of me was £7ok plus !!

Same as us Caig, massive motor home , big garage at the back for the St, Bernard and the 3 Basset hounds. Self leveling , all the kit. You never know who you pitch up next to. Retro caravans. ?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The MHs will learn. Last year by the Summer Isles I met our friends at Achiltibuie in their Rapido. Most enjoyable. However they never got to see half of what we did. Their Rapido was too big for the roads, our tug was no problem. Unless I become totally decrepit I cannot see the advantage of this MH trend B)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Not really bothered which way the trend goes, I'll always be a tugger at heart.
But, what does pee me off big time are seasonals! Lovely site near Penrith, the old CCC site at Troutbeck. Gorgeous views all round, but when were there three weeks ago they were just bringing out the seasonals.
I talked to a couple of the van owners, who said that they only visited their vans at weekends, and only a couple of times a month, but by leaving the van on site they were guaranteed a pitch..
This means that the site is cluttered with empty vans most of the week, so us proper caravanners can't get on! The site also has a lot of statics, which I'm also not happy about, but at least these vans are doing what they were built for - being static! The rest are TOURERS, built for touring, not standing empty, cluttering up TOURING pitches! And generally taking the best pitches, too.
I can understand it from the site operators viewpoint, its money in the bank; I can also sort of understand if an elderly couple have had to give up towing, but not younger, capable people, please!
I think I'll start a campaign to ban seasonal caravans, except for those with a doctor's note!
Rant over (for now!)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
On occasion we have asked if we could leave the van overnight on site unattended, and we were told in no uncertain terms it was against Caravan Club Policy. Once was the firs at Belper when we wanted to leave the van for two nights whilst we had some work done at home, the second was at the Centenary site, we were there for three weeks and wanted to go up to London for two nights in a hotel.

Why then are seasonals allowed to be left unattended on pitch. Surely we are all members of the same club?

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Caravan club Centenary site in the New Forest a couple of years ago. One man was complaining about the age of some of the cars and Caravans. I said what difference does it make, he said they shouldn't be allowed on CC sites they should be on CCC sites. I told him I was a member of both. I ask him how old his unit was he said they were both a year old. I said perhaps your old unit shouldn't be here then as mine was only 3 months old. He never spoke to me again, which made me happy.
As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what unit you have, or the age of it as long as you are happy with it that's all that matters.
Everyone should be able to choose what type of pitch they want no matter what unit they have.
Les

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I take a ironic pride in levelling off snobs. Some years ago I was based in Barrow and had my own parking space which was adjacent to the CEO’s Jaguar XJ and senior directors Volvos and Rover Sterlings. There were a few wry looks when I polled up in our second car; a Skoda Estelle 105. Comments such as “ Do you have Communist leanings?” On one occasion I offered a London based colleague a lift back from the port exit lock. There were two cars left on the car park. My Skoda, and a Ford Granada. My colleague automatically went over to the Ford. The expression on his face was priceless as I got into the Skoda.
My skin is at least treble thickness when it comes to such snobs. Just tell them that to buy a newer outfit you would either have to sell one of your TR4s or one of your other houses.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I take a ironic pride in levelling off snobs. Some years ago I was based in Barrow and had my own parking space which was adjacent to the CEO’s Jaguar XJ and senior directors Volvos and Rover Sterlings. There were a few wry looks when I polled up in our second car; a Skoda Estelle 105. Comments such as “ Do you have Communist leanings?” On one occasion I offered a London based colleague a lift back from the port exit lock. There were two cars left on the car park. My Skoda, and a Ford Granada. My colleague automatically went over to the Ford. The expression on his face was priceless as I got into the Skoda.
My skin is at least treble thickness when it comes to such snobs. Just tell them that to buy a newer outfit you would either have to sell one of your TR4s or one of your other houses.
Oh dear Clive :eek:hmy: TR4. :) I sold my TR4a in 1976 to pay the deposit on my first house
Wish I ‘d kept the car. Ditched the wife nine years later. Too late :kiss: :evil: :woohoo:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
Oh dear Clive :eek:hmy: TR4. :) I sold my TR4a in 1976 to pay the deposit on my first house
Wish I ‘d kept the car. Ditched the wife nine years later. Too late :kiss: :evil: :woohoo:[/quote

I sympathise as I had to let my E30 M3 go as when my wife asked what it’s safety features were and did it have a crumple zone. I told her that the engine was designed to move in the event of a front impact. Where tovshe asked? Generally between the driver and passenger. Which clearly wasn’t my best effort. She didn’t fancy taking family out in such a high risk vehicle! 49 years and counting so somethings do get forgiven.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
emmerson said:
Not really bothered which way the trend goes, I'll always be a tugger at heart.
But, what does pee me off big time are seasonals! Lovely site near Penrith, the old CCC site at Troutbeck. Gorgeous views all round, but when were there three weeks ago they were just bringing out the seasonals.
I talked to a couple of the van owners, who said that they only visited their vans at weekends, and only a couple of times a month, but by leaving the van on site they were guaranteed a pitch..
This means that the site is cluttered with empty vans most of the week, so us proper caravanners can't get on! The site also has a lot of statics, which I'm also not happy about, but at least these vans are doing what they were built for - being static! The rest are TOURERS, built for touring, not standing empty, cluttering up TOURING pitches! And generally taking the best pitches, too.
I can understand it from the site operators viewpoint, its money in the bank; I can also sort of understand if an elderly couple have had to give up towing, but not younger, capable people, please!
I think I'll start a campaign to ban seasonal caravans, except for those with a doctor's note!
Rant over (for now!)

Hi Emmerson. We keep our van on a seasonal pitch. I won't take offence at being told I am not a "proper caravanner". You are entitled to your opinion. However I was under the impression that caravanners were inclusive people who welcomed all who enjoyed the pastime. My van is cluttering up a lovely site in North Wales. Conversations with the owners would indicate that were it not for the steady income provide by seasonal pitches they may not be as financially viable; hence no site, and no touring pitches. Our own reasons for going seasonal were full time jobs, and family commitments (including fostering) which made getting away for weekends very difficult and resulted in an unused caravan sitting on the drive. I am sure you would have preferred us to sell it; but a seasonal pitch has meant at least two weekends a month away. It also means our Daughters and children can use the van; they can't afford much in the way of holidays otherwise.
Everyone enjoys a good rant and I hope you feel better after yours; but perhaps a glass of wine and reflecting on how lucky we are to be enjoying this fantastic hobby of ours, could be just as good.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You may recall there has been a debate elsewhere on the forum about the future of caravanning in the light of the governments anouncement of no ic engined cars to be sold in the UK after 2040. Unless there is change of policy or the car manufactures take the need for tow cars more seriously, it is highly likely caravanning as we currently know it will won't be possible.

One possible method might be to consider adopting the continental approach of seasonal caravanning, where a caravan is taken and pitched on one site for the season, and the owners travel to and fro at holiday times. That would certainly affect the way sites operate.

Live and let live, unless it's illegal.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
You may recall there has been a debate elsewhere on the forum about the future of caravanning in the light of the governments anouncement of no ic engined cars to be sold in the UK after 2040. Unless there is change of policy or the car manufactures take the need for tow cars more seriously, it is highly likely caravanning as we currently know it will won't be possible.

One possible method might be to consider adopting the continental approach of seasonal caravanning, where a caravan is taken and pitched on one site for the season, and the owners travel to and fro at holiday times. That would certainly affect the way sites operate.

I’d rather buy a mobile or lodge, but aren’t really attracted to going to the same site. Perhaps a caravan with an engine might be an option. Motor home here I come!

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
There were a 5th wheeler on a site we were on last year wow what a snorter. Full white leather suite 2 doors with proper stairs from them. We spoke with the owner they had only just brought it back from England it was a beauty had the pulled out side which incorporated dining area. Must cost a fortune to fuel it though. Wouldn't be for us but my hubby would have a MH tomorrow but not me I think it'd be a hassle if you want to go to the town and its not walking distance away i see some trail small cars behind on a V trailer more exspence. We just couldnt afford it.
If your leaving your pitch surely all the things that sit out have to be packed away then unpacked on return thats forbidding you get it parked in the town.
I see too many cons than pros.
Though all that said I have no beef whatsoever with MHs i love admiring them in fact.
They pose no threat and ive never ever thought the owners look down noses at us in caravans not for one minute.
I've spoke to quite a few MH owners and really nice people they have been.
So let's not tar all with same brush eh fellow adventurers please live and let live i say.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I will talk to anybody on site and I have never met a bad person yet be it a motorhomer or caravaner . I just like to get away with the family exploring and seeing different things and places and just to see the variety of vehicles on site is great I think to what other people use to get away.
Not everybody can afford what other people have but so what ?! long as they're enjoying what they have and what they have got that is the main thing , like someone else's said , each To Their Own and enjoy. So if you're in the Northeast and see a baldy bloke with a gingerish beard walking around , that'll be me just having a look at what's on site !! B)

Happy touring , Mh or caravan !

Craig .

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Will look out for someone baldy with a gingerish beard spying on us all I'll be sure to say what's up nosey Parker you looking down your nose at my 2008 caravan or what haha
We to own a Ford Kuga 2Tdi Titainium 2018 plus Compass Rally 634 twin axle.
Nice talking to ya Craig..pulling your leg.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:

Prof my boy. Our Scottish, Welsh and English Forumites have been doing this for decades. Ask Lady Mel. B)
We are leaving the EU .... Continental :woohoo:

TRENDING THREADS