Generator Advice & Info

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
I am going to a CL in the Lakes for the bank holiday weekend and it doesn't have electric, which I need to run the TV etc.

I have always been a fan of Honda products and their generators seem to be the best around, though this is reflected in the price. Has anyone got a generator and if so would they share their thoughts on its strengths and weaknesses?

I have seen a thread on the Kipor ones which seem to be OK. At the moment I am thinking of;

A used Honda EX650 - cheap on price at £130 but low on power, also converter not inverter.

New Kawasaki GA1000A - More power and also converter technology. Cheap though at £200 new with a two year warranty.

A used Honda EU26i - The best of the best but very expensive at £500 (if the guy accepts my offer) and more than I can really afford. Also a little big.

Any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to follow on, remember that there may well be restrictions on times of use of generators on site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Trevor,

Before you buy a generator carefully consider what you actually need it for. Most sites these days offer mains hook ups, which will usually provide up to 3kW of power. By comparison the typical caravan generator will only provide 750W (0.75kW) of power so it is not a complete alternative to the mains hook up.

Modern caravans offer many items of equipment that are duel fuelled. Fridges tend to have 3 way power (12V dc 230V ac & gas), Water heaters and space heaters, 2 way (230V ac & Gas). There are many 12V dc/230V ac televisions & VCRs' available.

So if mains power is not available there is usually a sensible alternative to resorting to a generator. Gas is usually used for cooking, and makes a very economic alternative for water heaters and space heating. Fridges are also much more efficient on gas than on generator power.

For other appliance where gas is not an alternative, there are other low cost solutions. For example a 120W inverter (converts 12V dc to 230 Vac) will provide power for computers, radios VCR etc. So a generator is not really essential.

From a social point of view, generators are noisy. Even the "silent" ones produce some noise. They are very inefficient at converting fuel to electrical power (about 6%) the fuel is very expensive.

Gas appliances on the other hand are very efficient. They must be at least 70% efficient before they are approved for sale, and virtually silent.

The gas will already be on board for cooking, so there is no additional weight to be accounted.

Consider using a second battery that can be charged in the back of your car whilst you are travelling, and swapping when necessary. Or use the accessory circuit in the 12S (grey) socket on the rear of your car.

Do you really need a generator?

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Trevor; please consider whether a solar panel will suffice because the noise and polution aspects need to be considered; espeiclaly on a CL where many of us like to get away from noise and just enjoy the peace and quiet.

I was on a site recently where generators were banned completely for this very reason.

All the best whatever you decide.

John

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments so far.

First, I agree that a CL is meant to be a quiet retreat but the generators was meant as a emergency measure if I did manage to drain the battery, which I have no doubt I will in a long weekend.

I had thought of the solar option but I have found it to be far too expensive, as well as the fact that the cheaper units are not known for their reliability. Also the generator may come in handy for me when working on my property where power is not readily available.

What are the cheapest solar panels people have found and how are they working out?

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I wouldn't be so sure that you'll drain the battery over a long weekend. I don't know what capacity your battery is but by using gas for everything possible and restricting battery use to the water pump, lights and (limited use of) the TV I've made my battery last for 6 days. Even then, it wasn't flat and as has been previously mentioned, you can charge it from the car.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
These generators are a complete pain to all other site users. Use your battery, and gas for the fridge.

Chugging away, hour after hour, we have had two weekends absolutely ruined by people using them.

They are a totally uneccessary 'gadget'.

We now ask sites we are thinking of staying on, if they allow them before booking. If they do, then we will not stay there.

Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
These generators are a complete pain to all other site users. Use your battery, and gas for the fridge.

Chugging away, hour after hour, we have had two weekends absolutely ruined by people using them.

They are a totally uneccessary 'gadget'.

We now ask sites we are thinking of staying on, if they allow them before booking. If they do, then we will not stay there.
That's good thinking on your part. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone enjoys themselves better if those with conflicting opinions / views / agendas keep away from each other. It's like those couples who go to family resorts on holiday and then moan about the children playing in the pool. Much better that they book in to a resort that doesn't accept children.

I do like to think of myself as considerate though and if it isn't necessary i will not use / restrict my use of the generator.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Trevor,

Take a look at the "Solar Power or Micro Wind Generator" thread in the Technical forum.

Basically a 44 watt panel (correctly set-up and in good sunlight) does more than re-charge our leisure battery - as our Swiss friends discovered.

Robert

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to disagree with Keith to some extent about generators being a totally unecessary gadget.

They may be for some, but we have medical needs, which means we HAVE to have 240volts at certain times of the day, and in some cases this means using the generator, or is it being said that we must not go to the places we love to visit, and be restricted in our hobby?

It could be argued thatBBQ's are also unecessary, as vans have all cooking facilities in them, and the smell and smoke form them is appalling, unless its your own one.

So , please dont think that everyone is using them just for fun, it is not always the case.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Obviously Damian has a valid point for a generator (ie Medical reasons).

The main nuisance is people who start them up, and run them for hour after hour at a time, with absolutely no regard or respect whatsoever for other caravanners or campers.

Like I said. We will not even book onto sites where portable generators are permitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts