German Clean Air zones

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
In a recent C&CC mag there was mention that some 40 German cities now hhave clean air zones and to enter them a UK car would have to obtain a permit costing around 30Euros. Is this automatic even for a 2010 car with Euro 5 emissions levels? Are the zones as all encompassing as the London one (M25 inwards) or are they smaller with park and ride facilities?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
In a recent C&CC mag there was mention that some 40 German cities now hhave clean air zones and to enter them a UK car would have to obtain a permit costing around 30Euros. Is this automatic even for a 2010 car with Euro 5 emissions levels? Are the zones as all encompassing as the London one (M25 inwards) or are they smaller with park and ride facilities?
I assume you are referring to the Umwelt Plakette? This website might provide some more information http://www.umwelt-plakette.de/int_england.php?SID=puce5hjid38151gjcif8hb6kr4 however don't be tempted to order a sticker from them as they are very expensive. Better to try here http://www.tuev-nord.de/SID-8100ED26-08BC4321/de/verkehr/Order_form_ENGLISH_8761.htm or buy one whilst in Germany, they normally cost about €5 from a TUV station. You can quite easily tour in Germany without such a sticker and they are only needed when you enter the centre of the towns and cities listed in my first link. I have one on my car but as far as I know I have never strayed into one of the zones. Earlier in the year travelling through the German Industrial belt near Dortmund/Essen the autobahn did not need one but at every junction you were warned that your were entering an Umwelt zone.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
As David says, if you purchase the sticker directly from the TÜV it will not cost you 30 Euros.
Where required, you do need a sticker even if your car has Euro 5 emissions level (as the emissions level is otherwise not immediately apparent without stopping the vehicle to check documents).
The size of the zones are defined individually by each city applying the clean air zones.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
David, Lutz,

Thank you for the information, that is really helpful. We are thinking of Germany next year but without the van and dogs coming too so that we can really explore the cities and historical sites in Bavaria.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We have a sticker and have had it for 2/3 years maybe more lost count of the years. We paid very little for it but have only needed it once when we went into the city of Ulm. Most cities in Germany or even towns have P&R these days so no problem in visiting them. There is a list of the cities and towns where they are required on the link David has given you.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I simply went into a car dealer with my log book and €5 and the disc was not only issued but put in the car window for us. I would just check out the extent of the zone in the area you are visiting and avoid it until you have visited a garage.
David

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
The zones are graded Red, Yellow and Green. Your car will be graded on its fuel emissions& so given a red badge, yellow badge or green badge
The red badge can only enter the red zone
The yellow badge can go through the red & yellow zones
The green badge can go to all areas
Which ever badge you are given will last for the life of the car, so no need to renew

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Actually, the grading is not based on fuel emissions but on particulate emissions. That's why practically all petrol engined vehicles of the last 20 or so years (those with catalytic converter) fulfil the requirements for a green badge. Only relatively modern diesels benefit likewise.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
The LEZ doesnt apply to vehicles under 3.5t and the requirement is still euro 3 until the end of jan 2012 thus then the new standard is euro 4 unless your vehicle still has an RPC certificate.Its an absolute con as the public transport is still pre euro 1.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I presume that you are not referring to the LEZ in various towns and cities in Germany but the one in London, Seth, because the sticker requirement definitely applies in the former.

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Lutz said:
Actually, the grading is not based on fuel emissions but on particulate emissions. That's why practically all petrol engined vehicles of the last 20 or so years (those with catalytic converter) fulfil the requirements for a green badge. Only relatively modern diesels benefit likewise.

Just out of interest, would a 2006, 1.9 VW Sharan meet the green badge requirements ?
V.5 particulates of 0.026 g/kWh.

Regards,
Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm not sure, but I think it would probably not fulfil the requirements. To my knowledge the particulate emissions limit for a green sticker is 0.005 g/km.
Your safest bet is to check in the owner's handbook or with the dealer whether the car meets one of the following requirements:
70/220/EEC
98/69/EC
1999/102/EC
2001/1/EC
2001/100/EC
2002/80/EC
2003/76/EC

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Whilst staying in south Luxembourg I slipped over into Germany to have my Hyundai Terracan tested.
My 2005 2.9 Mercedes engine was given a green badge
smiley-smile.gif

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Lutz said:
I'm not sure, but I think it would probably not fulfil the requirements. To my knowledge the particulate emissions limit for a green sticker is 0.005 g/km.
Your safest bet is to check in the owner's handbook or with the dealer whether the car meets one of the following requirements:
70/220/EEC
98/69/EC
1999/102/EC
2001/1/EC
2001/100/EC
2002/80/EC
2003/76/EC

Many thanks for your replies. I think I'll follow Willi Wonti's example and go to the nearest TUV and have it tested this Summer.

Regards,

Jim.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The TÜV shouldn't need to do any testing. I would assume that they have access to a database of all engine/vehicle combinations, especially of VW models, with all the necessary information.
German registered vehicles have all the emissions data in encrypted form entered in their respective registration book so,, in those cases, one need only look at the German equivalent of the V5c certificate.

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Lutz said:
The TÜV shouldn't need to do any testing. I would assume that they have access to a database of all engine/vehicle combinations, especially of VW models, with all the necessary information.

Ah, thank you for that Lutz: even easier.
I will follow Davis Klyne's advice, earlier in this thread.
Many thanks,
Jim.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This is an old thread that I resurrected following the announcement that a German court says two cities can introduce clean air zones by banning older diesels. The federal government opposed the case. But what I find strange is that in 2013 toured Germany as part of longer trip to Poland and even five years ago I obtained a sticker from TUV that authorised me to enter a clean air zone in my then 2010 Volvo D5.

So if cities had clean air zones or LEZs what’s changed via the recent court ruling?

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Just done some digging.
The sticker that we all have - green/4 - only cover CO2 and not Nox which is what all the fuss is about.
From what I have seen many cities have banned anything below Euro5 from the beginning of this year and will ban anything other than Euro 6 from 1st September next year, There has been a long standing proposal that the EU produce a cross-EU blue E-sticker which will even exclude Euro6 but this has stalled in the system.

However this is all about taking your vehicle into city centres. Most German cities and large towns have very effective and inexpensive municipal P+R systems so it is really all about making money - or am I just a cynic?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The existing restrictions in Germany relate only to minimum requirements applicable to Euro 4 vehicles and below. However, some German cities have been unable to meet EU emissions targets despite the introduction of the sticker system and have applied to the government for permission to extend the restrictions to cover all diesel engined vehicles. Following the latest ruling by a German High Court this has now been given the go-ahead. Details still need to be worked out, but it would appear that such an all-embracing restriction will not be implemented, at least not for the entire affected city, but only for certain roads within the city subject to abnormally high emissions, and possible exemptions will be made for Euro 6 vehicles. Because of the implications also for public transport (buses) and the trade (commercial vehicles) this has become a major issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Lutz said:
The existing restrictions in Germany relate only to minimum requirements applicable to Euro 4 vehicles and below. However, some German cities have been unable to meet EU emissions targets despite the introduction of the sticker system and have applied to the government for permission to extend the restrictions to cover all diesel engined vehicles. Following the latest ruling by a German High Court this has now been given the go-ahead. Details still need to be worked out, but it would appear that such an all-embracing restriction will not be implemented, at least not for the entire affected city, but only for certain roads within the city subject to abnormally high emissions, and possible exemptions will be made for Euro 6 vehicles. Because of the implications also for public transport (buses) and the trade (commercial vehicles) this has become a major issue.

Lutz good to see that you are still “tugging the box” and thank you for your reply. It’s a pity that our cities and HMG aren’t so proactive. But somewhat ironic that the court ruling found in favour of Stuttgart, spiritual home of the diesel.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
otherclive said:
Lutz good to see that you are still “tugging the box” and thank you for your reply. It’s a pity that our cities and HMG aren’t so proactive. But somewhat ironic that the court ruling found in favour of Stuttgart, spiritual home of the diesel.

Ironic maybe, but Stuttgart sits in a valley surrounded by hills on all sides so emissions tend to hang there if the prevailing wind doesn't ensure enough air circulation to drive them away. Stuttgart therefore has a bigger problem than many other cities.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone know of a pushbike with enough kerbweight for a caravan? We arent going to be allowed anywhere soon. How many have Euro6 compliant vehicles?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts