Germany/Austria

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Hubby and I have just got back from a fantastic 7 month trip around Europe as first time caravaners.We travelled the Romantische Strauss and loved Germany so we plan to spend 3 months in Germany and Austria from April next year and would really appreciate any suggestions on a picturesque/interesting route to take.

many thsnks and a happy Christmas to all the helpful people out there.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
With re-unification Germany has become quite a big country and does not consist only of Bavarian style houses and leather trousers. As nice as the south is, it doesn't do the north justice. As you say you will be touring for longer, I can only recommend having a look up north, too. For example, the River Weser is pretty between Kassel and Hamelin (of Pied Piper fame) and it's not so touristy as the Rhine or Moselle. Further down the Weser you come to the Teutoburg forest between Rinteln and Osnabr

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget the Harz mountains and Goslar, also the Baltic coast at Wismar and along to Lubeck is very nice, Schwerin castle, and Bremen is well worth a look. In fact pretty well anywhere!

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I would agree with all of the above.

But don't forget Berlin and Potsdam - both well worth a visit.

Also the area between Frankfurt and Nuremburg - such places as Wurtzburg and Bamberg - and a bit further on Regensburg and Bayreuth are interesting. NE of Regensburg is a place called Cham which is a good base to do a day trip to Prague (very well worth a visit) only about 120 miles.

Feb 25, 2008
Visit site
This year we did a five week tour including Germany (mainly) and the Czech Republic during May and June.

Camping Gritt in Luxembourg was the first stop.

We visited the Black Forest staying at "Camping Belchenblick" near Staufen im Breisgau.

Trips to Badenweiler, Tittisee, Bad Sackingen (400year old wooden bridge across the Rhine to Switzerland.

Then moved on to "Camping Tennsee" between Garmisch and Mittenwald in the Bavarian alps (expensive but magnificent views of the alps from the campsite!).

Trips to Oberammergau, (the Passion Play performances will make it very busy in 2010) Schloss Linderhof, over the alps, through Austria to Italy.

Then on to "Camping Lackenhauser" on the German/Austrian/Czech border.

Trips to hear an organ concert in Passau Cathedral and over the Czech border to Cesky Crumlov.

from there to "Camping Oase Praha".

Trips to Prague, Konopiste, Karlstein, and Karlovy Vary (a long trip but worth it)

Back into Germany to "Maincamping Lichtenfels".

Trips to Coburg (the Queen Victoria and Albert connection), Bamberg, and Bayreuth (Richard Wagner) amongst others.

Last place in Germany was Rudesheim am Rhein where did as Lutz suggested and took a boat trip from there to Koblenz and came back by train.

Final stop was Mauberge in France to stock up with goodies before catching the ferry back to England.

This was a very scenic tour with many sights to see, and we only scratched the surface. As Lutz has already said, Germany is a big country.

We have toured Germany several times before and will do so again in the future. We were in Berlin the year after the "wall came down". We got lost in West Berlin first, and then after traversing the Unter Den Linden got lost in East Berlin the following day!

If you go to the Harz take a steam train trip to the top of "The Brocken" for a memorable experience. If you get as far as Dresden visit the re-built "Frauenkirche" (Like Coventry, they hold services of reconcilliation in the undercroft) and the rock formations at "the Saxon Switzerland".

Just a few ideas to be going on with!

Michael - Derbyshire

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Well Lutz and others have given you a good insight into Germany but nobody has mentioned Austria.

After visiting these countries for 35 years we have taken the caravan for the last 7 years for 2 or 3 months. After visiting 10 countries in 2008 including some of Eastern Europe. With the drop in the

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks everyone for taking the trouble to point us in the right direction. I will print all info off and put it on the maps we have purchased and see if we can do it all!!Have applied for ACSI camping card this year as only had camping cheques on our first expedition this year.We may well run into you Diane (not literally)as we seem to be going in the same direction.

thanks again

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Another hint if you get the ACSI DVD you can put your sites you aim to visit into the route you can then print out the list which will give you the kms between sites which we use as a rough guide as we use the Tom Tom for the route or you can print full details and directions instead. It also puts the sites onto the map which you can print out too. I do it every year and take them with me and then put them into a scrapbook with photos and brochures which is nice to keep and look back at. You can do the route from home to Tunnel or Port first and at the end too. It will then give you a rough guide to the mileage of the trip with the caravan before you start.

Yes we might well see you. What outfit do you have? We have Kia Sorento and Elddis Crusader, twin axle, Storm.

Think you will find that you have 3 times as many sites to choose from, taking the ACSI Camping Card than Camping Cheques.

I do not buy a disk every year just every 2 or 3 years sites do not change a lot on there just the ones that take the Camping Card. I am still using 2008 for our 2010 route.

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Sorry Diane missed your reply, our rig is a Lexus RX 350 and Coachman Vip so we should recognise each other and it beats wearing a carnation in your buttonhole!!

Thanks for advice cant find the Jodl site you mentioned in Austria in the ASCI book am I missing it?

Looking at route may travel slowly through germany down west side april/may then back through centre to the northern areas early july when maybe weather will be better?Still open to advice/suggestions. thanks and happy new year one and all

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Lutz for answering the question on Jodl. I have only just seen the post.

Carolyn we have booked for Prumtal Camping at Oberweis for the 7th to 11th April which is our first stop, it can't come quick enough and then not sure of the itinery till we get to Jodl around 26th April so we can spend 5 weeks there have booked the pitch as we always have the same one. Perhaps as you say we might see you. Happy New Year

Jul 29, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Lutz & Dianne. Looks a good site we will probably make a reservation could I ask for any suggestions what pitch maybe quieter and ok with a dog?

thanks again

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Carolyn, If you go to Jodl web site as Lutz has given you above and go into camping and then floor plan this will show you the site. We always pitch on the top left hand strasse named Kaiser Strasse. They do charge a bit more for this area but it is nearer to the cafe,shop,toilets and the exit to the road. It is furthest from the see but has a terrific view, standing on the top tier of the site and looks over all. The pitches down by the see are nice we have never encounted mosies or flies but can be noisy with the frogs in May. Dogs are welcome but not allowed to roam free or go into the see as this is used for swimming. The owners do have a Westie and she is allowed to roam free, but she is adorable, and visits us in the caravan 2 or 3 times a day. The cafe serves light meals and wonderful cakes and struedel some of which the owners make themselves. Just along the road in Ossiach village there is a small Spa Supermarket which is well stocked but a short drive to the west end of the lake there are 3 shops Lidl, Aldi and Billa. To the east is the town of Feldkirchen which has everything you need for shopping especially a Eurospa and another store similiar to Waitrose named Mercury.

If you go to Prumtal Camping we always go down to river where it is quieter and is more suitable for dogs. If you go to their

website pruemtal.de/en andgo to approach and site plan we always book 323 because it is a large site and we do have a large caravan. There are pitches opposite on side of river but never seen them used they are for tents and when it is very busy in July time I expect. We stop here in April and again when on the return journey home in June.

Hope this helps. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts