GERMANY

Jul 21, 2007
Visit site
Can anyone help please. We are looking to tow this summer 2007 to either nothern Germany or Bavaria.

Any advice of where to stay etc or places to go.

Mnay thanks

Dazzer

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
That's quite a wide spectrum that you've allowed yourself there, Dazzer. It's bit like asking whether the Scottish Highlands are a better place to visit than the Isle of Wight.

I live more or less in the middle of Germany so both the North and Baltic Sea coasts and the Black Forest and Bavaria are equally familiar to me.

It all depends what sort of scenery you prefer. Either the flatter countryside close to the coasts or the mountains and lakes of the south. Also, do you want to be "where it's all happening" or do you prefer more secluded parts of the country, less frequented by locals and foreigners alike? Perhaps you can narrow the selection down a bit and let me know your preferences and then I can give you some more detailed advice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dazzer

I agree with Lutz you really have to narrow down your options. Germany is a very large country. It is also an excellent country to go camping in.

David

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Dazzer, We are just back from travelling through Germany. The A8 autobahn (from Karlsrue - Munich) is best avoided if at all possible, there are a series of roadworks for just about its whole length!. They are adding a 3rd lane, in relatively short sections, with consequently lots of contraflows, not exactly what we expected!

enjoy your holiday!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Bavaria for me everytime, had a couple of weeks there in 1998 and coincidentally the route to Italy this year took me more of less along the same route.

Brought back some wonderful memories of the scenery and the fantastic roads, mind you this year I was on a motorcycle not towing a caravan.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
We arrived home last week from a 3-month tour of northern and eastern Germany. I haven't had chance to put all the details on my web site yet, but have a look at http://www.keith.mercer.dsl.pipex.com/Caravan_Touring.html for details of most of our trip. We enjoyed the island of Ruegen so much, we have already decided to go back next June.

Now, we are off at the end of this month for our first caravanning visit to Spain.......... We will probably just explore Catalunia, so if anyone has any recommendations, they would be most appreciated.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Wow, there is so many things to see in Germany, it boils down to what your intrest are ,ie history (not just war) sceneary,wines,water,and lots more.We have done many trips and always researched a particular area that we are going to. The library is a good place to find travel books and you will be spoilt for choice in what is there.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have heard comments from several visitors that Germany is one of the most underrated holidaying countries and I'm not saying that just because I live there.

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
We Love Germany the people the hospitally and mountains in southern Bavaria are fantastic.There is a good campsite at Krun/Mittanwald,lota to see Garmisch.Grainau,Mittanwald Bad Tolz

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
I would advise southern Germany every time, as most of northern is industrial. That is not to say that Berlin and Dresden are not well worth a visit.

Southern and central Germany have the wine ;-)) but sadly they don't caravan as much as we or the Dutch so good sites are a bit sparse. Camping Tenda in the SW corner where the Munich-Saltzburg motorway looses a spur to Innsbruck is a good base. Also getting near the CZ border permits a day trip to Prague which is well worthwhile.

The poeple are very friendly and helpful, the streets are clean and pleasant - the only letdown is that many are very much the same, not much variation in the larger towns and cities.

Enjoy.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
To say northern Germany is largely industrial is rather an exaggeration. Actually, except for the Ruhr area between Cologne and Dortmund, the north is predominantly rural. It's generally flatter countryside than the south (except the Harz mountains) but both the North Sea and Baltic Sea coast as well as the lake district to the north and east of Berlin have a charm of their own and are a lot less overrun by tourists.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Last year we went to Neustrelitz just to the north of Berlin in the old east Germany,its there version of the lake district but much bigger,and had a great time.This friday we are off to bavaria visiting friends with our van.And I believe Germany is a very underrated holiday destination.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Well, I have finally added the final few words/details of our 3-month tour of Germany to my web site (see http://www.keith.mercer.dsl.pipex.com/Caravan_Touring.html). We returned in early August and twenty days later left on a 2-month tour of France and Spain - hence the delay!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts