Getting nervous

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
I love reading postings on the forum but I must admit they are making me a bit nervous. We have just got our first caravan and hearing about the various "difficulties" that people experience on site makes me wonder if we've done the right thing. Please reassure me that caravanning is fun most of the time???

Thanks

Sue

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
Fun, you will never have so much!

A difficulty is a state of mind, vanner only have a small hurdles to get over before they have earned that Gin & Tonic.

F

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've been using campsites (in trailer tents, folding campers and caravans) as a couple. with four children or latterly, with grandchildren, since 1985 and have yet to have a stay that has not been mostly, and usually wholly, enjoyable. Nor, to the best of my knowledge, have we ever done anything to spoil anyone else's pleasure in their break.

As has been said, most of the problems are in the mind - if you go away with the idea that everyone else must conform to your ideal of enjoyment, then I am afraid you are doomed. If you start from the premise that you will do what you enjoy, surrounded by other people who are also having a good time in their own way, then you will have no problems. We have never used 'adult only' sites, nor ever been tempted to. Most of the children we have encountered have been just that - children. Not angels, but certainly not litttle devils. Sometimes adults have been a little noisier than the ideal, but we have always been able to carry on doing what we enjoy (a quiet drink, a good book, a decent meal) with minimal disturbance from others.

I am not saying that horrendous events, such as you may have heard about on here, never occur, but they must be pretty rare, since in twenty years of caravanning ( and for the last few years we have used the 'van pretty regularly from February through to November) we have never had a bad experience.

Just get out there - and enjoy yourselves!

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
You might want to practice putting your awning up BEFORE you go. The experienced ones amongst us love the on site entertainment of 'new blood' trying to put an awning up!!!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have been caravanning for over twenty years and have not looked back. In fact we are realy considering selling the house and living in the van as you have all you need at hand and you can choose the neighbours and we're fed up of the rat race we call daily life.

Sure from time to time we get into scrapes but half the fun is working a way out.

I've got the van stuck and had to winch it 20 yards to get going, had to deal with punctures and wheel bearing failure. Got soaked right through putting up awnings. Even had to change the head gasket on the car on site, but still i'm not detered.

Caravanning is fun all the way. To me it's like having your own oasis.

I haven't yet had the double glazing salesman call, polititians ( yep that is spelt right!!) knock for a vote, the gas board turn up at 6am to jack hammer the road up 10 yards from the bedroom window, or even the postman who thinks he's doing you a favor delivering all those bills.

Now I've said that I bet some joker amongst us is going to go round trying to sell cheap electric deals. Few ain't I glad our caravans haven't got door bells and individual name plaques.

Caravanning is as fun as you make it and a sense of humor helps too. Laughter is the best medicen any doctor will tell you that.

Have fun.

Steve.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
We started caravanning recently, having bought our van in Nov 2005, and to be honest, I can't imagine my life without my van now.

After the easter meet this year, which was a great laugh, it's so nice to meet like minded people - we had car trouble about 1 hour after we arrived at the meet, and everyone all pitched in on Good Friday to help get it fixed, where else would you get that on holiday?

It's great when you are out in the van, and such a shame when you come home!

Enjoy.

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank and Sue,

You,ve been given some excellent advice now go and enjoy your caravan ,you done the right thing buying a caravan enjoy it.

Its a smashing hobby we,ve been caravanning for 30yrs and still enjoy it.There are some lovely people and remember if at any time you get into a fix there,s always someone on site who knows the answer, just ask.Best wishes and happy caravanning.Jim

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Thanks everyone- feeling a lot better now! We bought the caravan because we thought it would be a great way to see more of Britain. We'll mainly go on our own but hope to take our 5 year old grandson Joe some of the time. His other grandparents have a static caravan but we think we're going one better with a tourer. Frank has told him we will be like a snail carrying our home around with us but I fear we may be like a snail in other ways too...

Sue x

Apr 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi Frank and Sue

Your grandson will love it,we have taken our grandaughter with

us since she was 2,she is seven on 30th,it has become a regular thing now that every whitsun we take her away for her birthday,and have a party for her on site and her new little friends she has made,she is counting the days till we go.

Have a great time in your van and enjoy your grandson while he's still young and wants to go with you,all to soon he will be grown up and it's not cool to go on holiday with your grandparents.

Sheila

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Frank and Sue

Your grandson will love it,we have taken our grandaughter with

us since she was 2,she is seven on 30th,it has become a regular thing now that every whitsun we take her away for her birthday,and have a party for her on site and her new little friends she has made,she is counting the days till we go.

Have a great time in your van and enjoy your grandson while he's still young and wants to go with you,all to soon he will be grown up and it's not cool to go on holiday with your grandparents.

Sheila
Thanks Sheila

Yes, the benefit of a static caravan is that you always have the same neighbours & our grandson has made friends there. We will be looking for some sites which are suitable for quite young children- any suggestions?

Sue x

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts