Getting stuck

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
We have now booked a few trips away for this year and I was surprised how many sites invite you to choose a pitch from their plan or website. I have read about vans getting 'bogged'so do most people opt for hardstandings or go on the grass and hope for the best. We do not have a 4x4 so i would have to hope that there would be help around.

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Denise

Rest assured there will be plenty of people with big beefy 4x4s all too willing to show off and pull you out.

I would probably be at the front of the queue.

TONY A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Denise, Don`t worry about getting your caravan stuck there is allways someone to help you out,The site staff would prefer you to ask them for a pull off your pitch, rather than you digging holes in there grass with you car. GS

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Denise, My advice would be to avoid grass whenever possible. A couple of years ago my husband and I were on holiday in our van with my parents in their van.We arrived at Knaresborough CC Site and so that we could be together we chose to go on grass as there were no adjacent spaces on hard standing - BIG MISTAKE. Although it was summer we had continual spells of really heavy rain - after a few of these we realised that the vans were sinking.The spirit levels, which had been perfectly level on pitching,were showing a definate tilt, the mud started coming through the groundsheet and within no time everything was filthy. Halfway through the holiday, after packing my father and husband off to the railway museum, my mother and I decided we could not stand the muck any more and spent a day taking down the awnings, moving the vans and putting the awnings back up on two hard standing pitches (still not adjacent but we did not care).The next morning was spent scrubbing the groundsheets,chairs and tables so that we could use them again. What I am saying is that the decision to go on grass cost us 1 and a half days of our holiday moving to hardstanding. I do not expect everything to stay pristine but when everything placed on the groundsheet is muddy when you pick it up, and walking to the car makes your shoes so muddy that the car mats are filthy etc it is not alot of fun. So unless you are off to somewhere sunny and dry I would steer clear of grass. I have an MPV and was worried that it would not be able to pull the van on a squelchy field but I took it slowly and it managed perfectly. Eileen

Oct 27, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the replys. I think I may go for the hardstanding - I just hope there is plenty of grass around us for my little ones to play on. Denise.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I prefer to be on grass and have a couple of light boards to go under the wheels if the ground looks like it is soft. Nice wide wooden steady pads as well that dont sink or bend.

Setting up and then having the kids small and paddling mud in the Awning and into the van is to be avoided though.

Find the higher ground is what I do.

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
It's no big deal Denise even if your car is front wheel drive like mine, I've managed to get mine out of a few sticky situations on wet/boggy ground.

The secret is (and I know that it is easier said than done) is to try and not let the wheels spin in the first place.

Select first gear and keep the revs at idle speed and slowly pull away, don't start reving and slipping the clutch, take it easy.

The problem is, as soon as the wheels start to spin the mud will get stuck in the tread and turn the tyres into slicks and you will lose all traction

A push helps as well.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Providing you are not on a slope where the van may run away, I have a nice tow rope that we've slowly pulled the van clear with so that the car has grip on firm ground or campsite driveways.

Mar 27, 2005
Visit site
We prefer grass every time. Never found it a major problem. We have a vehicle with part-time four wheel drive which has helped on occasions but I doubt anyone on a camp site would watch you struggle if you got stuck.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Denise

most 4x4 owners will pull you out if stuck as long as you do not!

Show any connection with the ramblers association

spend the weekend before you leave sticking "ban urban 4x4's" stickers on their cars

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You have beat me to saying that Steve!

But in reality - I have found we caravanners do not really care what each other tows with - personal choice - why we caravan in the first place!

So I have never met an "anti" whilst caravanning - tho personally I would love to and hope it rains all week so I can demonstrate how to do it properly without damaging the grass whilst they slip and slide in the mud!

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Clive thats very unsportsman like of you.

Before getting the landy we got stuck last Feb on wet grass and a nice chap with a 4x4 got us out. Was it you? he was laughing as well

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You have beat me to saying that Steve!

But in reality - I have found we caravanners do not really care what each other tows with - personal choice - why we caravan in the first place!

So I have never met an "anti" whilst caravanning - tho personally I would love to and hope it rains all week so I can demonstrate how to do it properly without damaging the grass whilst they slip and slide in the mud!
I'm a "Rambler" and I drive a 4x4 so you should not make broad assumptions, stick to known facts please.

Steve W

May 20, 2005
Visit site
A trick we use when recovering the boat off soft sand, Is to get bread trays cut the sides off to make large mats they are also good to use to stop your pitch getting muddy were you walk between caravan and car. Put them under you drive wheels before you pull the caravan forward,

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As one who finds hard-standings truly depressing, I am glad to say we have never had any difficulty (with a 2.6 litre Omega Automatic) in moving off on wet grass. But then we are in the Eastern part of the UK, allegedly drier and flatter than the rest. I think if we had to park up on concrete every time, I would simply forget the whole idea - our own back garden would be more relaxing!

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I'm a "Rambler" and I drive a 4x4 so you should not make broad assumptions, stick to known facts please.

Steve W
Ahh trush an RA member to poke up and offer the defensive in a way only the RA could.

1, I made the RA statement not clive, so please do not attack him for comments of others

2, If you got stuck and asked me for a tow. Like many other 4x4 owners I would not offer any help if you where associated with the RA. (other than to offer medical help).

Oh, and do you shout abus at yourself while legally driving the roads of the UK, or is that reserved for non RA members?

Jun 25, 2005
Visit site
We use both grass and hard standing. For us it all depends on the pitch, some have more space than others. We have chosen and piched on grass in rain, on wet ground. We have seen some hard standing pitches waterlogged.

We carry some door mats, the sort you have outside your front door, to put under the drive wheels before pulling forward. Another tip we were given is to tow off at an angle on wet ground. CC wardens are also usually helpful along with other caravanners. Our tow car is not 4 wheel drive

Enjoy your trips away. annette

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
I found if it's possible to reverse a little bit and turn slightly, before you try to make a break for it you've got a better chance since you'll be moving off without pulling the weight of the 'van.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Denise.

As said already there are always plenty of willing hands and four wheeled friends to help in any situation.

I tow a twin axle van with a 2 Ltr front wheel drive car and as such you might expect that I get stuck every time on wet grass, but I don't.

All I carry with me is two yellow traction mats, a tow rope and a hand winch, all of which are easily available from "Tow sure".

If I do get to be last off site all I have to do in the worst case is winch the van to firm ground, but have only needed the mats so far.

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts