Gifted a Lunar Stellar and need some help please.

Sep 6, 2024
Visit site
Hello,

I have been gifted a Lunar Stellar, and need some help if possible to work out the sort of towing car I will need.

Never had this issue before, as when I was towing previously, had a Volvo 740 estate to work with.

The info on the plate under the door states MIRO 1035kg and the payload 155kg. MTPLM 1190kg and the MRO looks to be 0980.

How do I go about working out what is the best car / engine for towing this, as I need to get a new to me car, as I wrote my old one off a few weeks ago.

Many thanks in hopeful anticipation. J

PS Forgot to add that have not towed a caravan in quite a while and my brain is generally mush and get occasional brain f*rts also!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Take 1190kg as the caravan laden weight - divided by 85% gives 1400kg so most tow cars over 1400kg kerbweight should be ok - you mention previous towing experience so you might be ok with a lighter car - but there's plenty of choice over 1400kg.

Engine will depend on whether it's a modern small capacity turbo or an older medium sized engine - if it's the latter then diesel would be better BUT that may exclude you from ULEZs.

Reactions: Dustydog and Jennet
Sep 6, 2024
Visit site
Am I right in thinking ULEZ is inner city related - brain mush today! But generally stick to diesel cars, (our second car is as Honda Civic 1600 diesel) but have been looking at some of the cars that are about now with all the new fangled acronyms and suchlike. However, that is giving me a headache, so always open to people putting things into easily understandable terms as you have above. So thank you very much. :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You need to ensure that your car even if over 1400kg can legally tow your caravan. So a cars handbook, or V5 should give that information. But the precise legal limit can be obtained from the cars weight plate often in the engine compartment.

Some cars in a particular model range may have lower towing limit compared to others in the range. So please check this out as you view cars. I favour autos which make towing a more relaxed affair.

Here’s a link explaining how to interpret the weight plate.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Am I right in thinking ULEZ is inner city related - brain mush today! But generally stick to diesel cars, (our second car is as Honda Civic 1600 diesel) but have been looking at some of the cars that are about now with all the new fangled acronyms and suchlike. However, that is giving me a headache, so always open to people putting things into easily understandable terms as you have above. So thank you very much. :)
No the London area ULEZ covers a large area. See map.. But other cities are introducing LEZ and the rules can vary between cities too, some targeting commercial traffic, others being more selective. Generally petrol is more welcome than diesel and even that latest diesels will find cut off dates arriving before older petrol cars. So you need to decide what your car needs are in respect to everyday driving and towing.

Reactions: Jennet
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
No the London area ULEZ covers a large area. See map.. But other cities are introducing LEZ and the rules can vary between cities too, some targeting commercial traffic, others being more selective. Generally petrol is more welcome than diesel and even that latest diesels will find cut off dates arriving before older petrol cars. So you need to decide what your car needs are in respect to everyday driving and towing.

Agreed, that ULEZ/LEZs aren't just inner city - eg the Birmingham one covers everything inside the Middle Ring Road - as shown on Otherclive's link, the London one is basically everything inside the M25.

Can Jennet gives us an idea of budget, size of car and age they'd be looking at?

Sep 6, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for responses so far. My husband has to drive to Birmingham daily, but out of the limit under the above. The civic returns 54mpg approx, as he has been using it mostly. I just take it for a run to Solihull to my friends once or twice a month to give it a blow out to ensure the DPF is ok.

Our budget is limited to between £8-£13K ish and we like something that is reliable and not too costly to run. I have had a quick look at some MPV's as my friend has a Honda CRV which is good. However, I don't like auto gearboxes, so prefer manual. Still likely to stick to diesel and put up with any changes coming on board in relation to cleaner air.

I particularly want a car with a decent sized rear end, as when towing I will need good load space given that I will often be taking my daughter and grandson with me, sometimes without the OH. I would prefer an estate, but a not to expensive SUV is not out of the question.

I have had a quick looksee, and am reasonably impressed with the Skoda Superb in respect of it's comfort. Have yet to go and view one, in the respect that my husband is over 6 foot, so need to ensure the head space is suitable.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
You could do much worse than a Skoda Superb, they tick almost all the boxes - my lad is 6'6" and drives a Skoda Octavia Estate so that may be a cheaper, smaller option - you'd need to check weights carefully as Skodas are light for their size.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We had a 2014 Superb 4WD auto DSG diesel 2.0 litre estate. A really accomplished car and very economical solo or towing. I’m 6 ft 4 in and even with the front seat fully back I could sit comfortably in the rear seats without crushing my knees. The load area is very large and I had to lean forwards just to place stuff at the front end of the load area. Installed roof load rails too.

Skoda benefit from reasonable service costs with plenty of independent VAG service centres who can use VAG diagnostic software and upload service details to the VAG database.

I had a Gen 3 Volvo XC70 AWD and the Skoda knocked it for six in many areas. Oh and it was a great towcar.Even the rear seat bases pull forwards and give a transverse load area across the rear of that area. Great for awning or heavy boxes/kit. Might seem OTT for your current needs but it would future proof you if you went for a larger caravan in the future.

P1040733.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog and Jennet
Sep 6, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for that. I do like them. My husband and I both like my friends Honda CRV. Are the 1.6 engines good enough to tow with? Something like this :

I am not up to date with the indicators that are on cars nowadays that show that they are suitable for towing.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the power and torque the DTEC diesel would be fine for your current caravan, and the car is a suitable weight too. But confirm the cars maximum legal towing limit.

You could use the matching site Towcar. info and input car and caravan details to see what the assessment is. I think you get one free match but will then have to pay for subsequent matches. I’ve found it very useful on three outfit matches particularly as you can vary things such as noseweight, caravan load and car load.

Feb 13, 2024
Visit site
Dont rule out a Volkswagen Passat Estate, 2.0L diesel. Mate had one when he towed and this car was pure luxury to tow with, bags of room as well. Think the Skoda is in the same stable. You can pick up Passats with 58,000 miles on a 2017 plate around £12,000.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The Honda CRV 1.6 2WD would be ideal and can tow up to 1700kg. Its kerbweight is about 1600kg. The 4WD may be slightly heavier and also have a higher towing capacity. Think about the auto as it makes towing just that much easier.

Sep 6, 2024
Visit site
Thank you so much for your responses. I still like the idea of the Skoda Superb, but husband leaning more to Honda.

Still trawling through Autotrader to add to like's of ones considering going to view. Also, still checking independent sellers near home and up to 40 miles away. We live in Kingswinford, so if anyone is aware of anything near to us, or good garage to try, would be grateful to hear of them.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thank you so much for your responses. I still like the idea of the Skoda Superb, but husband leaning more to Honda.

Still trawling through Autotrader to add to like's of ones considering going to view. Also, still checking independent sellers near home and up to 40 miles away. We live in Kingswinford, so if anyone is aware of anything near to us, or good garage to try, would be grateful to hear of them.
Either would make good, spacious tow cars. Best to see and test drive both types. We are considering going back to a car with higher ride height. At present the CRV hybrid, or Forester E-Boxer. I've not told my wife that the CRV as well as having button for the EPB, there's not a even a gear selection lever. It has buttons for P,R,N and D. :eek:

• Haha
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Either would make good, spacious tow cars. Best to see and test drive both types. We are considering going back to a car with higher ride height. At present the CRV hybrid, or Forester E-Boxer. I've not told my wife that the CRV as well as having button for the EPB, there's not an even a gear selection lever. It has buttons for P,R,N and D. :eek:
What no S or E mode button🤪🤪

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
The Subaru has its eco and sport modes. But it’s no great shakes on either. Unlike my previous XT.
As we both know these E and S modes are meaningless as they appear to be totally different manufacturer to manufacturer🙃
It’s all a bit like the paddles or gear stick manual override.I had a play when I first got the car but can honestly say haven’t touched them since.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
As we both know these E and S modes are meaningless as they appear to be totally different manufacturer to manufacturer🙃
It’s all a bit like the paddles or gear stick manual override.I had a play when I first got the car but can honestly say haven’t touched them since.
The XT Sport + really did liven up its performance as it had 8 preset positions in the CVT gearbox. So as speed and revs. increased it would just go to successive pre set positions. But quite frankly there were few times when it would be of benefit. In normal mode it had enough pull and if more was required there was kick down. But again I rarely used kick down as during an overtake there were paddle controls. So a quick pull on the down paddle dropped “gear “ and held increased revs for a short while then defaulting back to normal mode. But like you over the years I’ve tended to find autos have improved so much that they are mostly left to do what’s required without much input from me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Either would make good, spacious tow cars. Best to see and test drive both types. We are considering going back to a car with higher ride height. At present the CRV hybrid, or Forester E-Boxer. I've not told my wife that the CRV as well as having button for the EPB, there's not a even a gear selection lever. It has buttons for P,R,N and D. :eek:
Back in the late fifties there was an American car with the buttons for the gear change. It was not popular for some reason. The buttons were on the right side of the steering wheel for a right hand drive car. I did a test drive and felt uncomfortable using my right hand to do gear selection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts