Giving my caravan a new colour

Feb 19, 2020
Visit site
Hi there,

I recently bought an old caravan so that my girlfriend and I can travel through Europe without having to book accommodation and to be more flexible. The caravan itself is fine, it’s a beautiful one, it's just the paint is already quite old and has its bits and pieces that don’t look that nice anymore. So I want to give it a new fresh colour (was thinking of a nice light green). I did some research on which paint I need to use and it looks like enamel paint is the right choice. Since I want to spray on it, I guess I will need some sort of mask so that I don’t inhale the fumes right? I don’t have much experience in painting, so I just want to make sure I have everything that I need. I was thinking of buying a mask or is a disposable enough?

Have you ever repainted your caravan and if so, did you also do it with enamel paint? What do you think of my choice of colour?

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
There are plenty of masks available and using one is recommended. Just look on the label of the mask to make sure you get the right one.

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
It's mandatory to wear a mask, the fumes pose a great threat to your health, you risk severe lung problems. Enamel paint should be more than OK, and might I say, a nice choice with the light green, it will probably look great. Maybe post some pictures when you're done so we can see the beauty!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's mandatory to wear a mask, the fumes pose a great threat to your health, you risk severe lung problems. Enamel paint should be more than OK, and might I say, a nice choice with the light green, it will probably look great. Maybe post some pictures when you're done so we can see the beauty!

I think wearing a suitable mask is highly recommended but it can’t be “mandatory” for a private individual on their own premises.

Reactions: Beehpee
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
20 years ago we were given a caravan by an elderly relative. The only obvious issue was the paintwork. As the finish to the panels was stippled not high gloss I simply used enamel paint and a roller. With a little care the finish was excellent and our caravan looked much nicer. I have the equipment but neither the skills or space to spray paint a caravan and would certainly do the same again in similar circumstances. Having bought a new Elddis Affinty 550 last year I hope not to need to worry about this for a while.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts