Glossop to Holmfirth

We have booked to go to the Holme Valley Camping and Caravan Park at the weekend.

We are actually travelleing from Glossop has anyone done this route and can you tell me the best way to take, as it is crossing the pennines I am sure there are routes that are not that suitable for touring caravans..

Also if anyone has any information on the site as well that would be great...

Cheers

Rob

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were going to book into this site for a weekend in the school summer holidays and as we were in the area we decided to call in to book. When we arrived we found the approach road from the main road to the site was very narrow and the site was very very full with the resembelence of a gypsy camp. We turned around and did not book. Could you tell us if the site is any better in low season and how easy the approach road is to use, as the site is in a beautiful part of the country and is handy for my husband to get to work if on call. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I stayed at this caravan park and would never stay there again. The approach road is a nightmare, full of holes. The site itself is scruffy and we had electric hookup which the site manager came to plug us into. I thought it was odd and had a look and it appeared we were sharing a socket with the tent next to us. On looking the day after we found dog doo doo behind where we were and the showers had inexplicably complicated instructions when they were actually simple to use. The showers need tokens and the shop doesn't open til well after you wanted your shower. There is fishing on site and people late night fish and bang around and make loads of noise. We could hear the people's TV really loud who were opposite us, we could hear every word. The people that were there when we were there were loud, rude and inconsiderate. The shop is good and the surrounding area is good but, other than that, not one good word to say about the place.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We too have stayed and would not return. I have to say for the same reasons as the others and also would rather stay a little further south in castleton area, much, much nicer.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We went there for may bank holiday and found the same as everyone else it was like a gypsy camp and as it is covered in trees its a bit dark. our pitch wasnt a pitch at all in fact I didnt think we would get on it but a lot of juggling got us there but there loads of protruding tree roots all around us preventing being able to put up porch awning. we were close to river and those people fishing who were sat right in front of caravan window from early morning till about 10.30 pm.

The approach road wasnt a road at all but a potholed dirt track and if two caravans approached each other then god knows cause theres not enough room even with passing places.

Overall worth the experience but would not return

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts