Glucosamine for Dogs?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our Collie is getting older and at times appears a bit stiff. Vet concurred and said there was a little bit of stiffness in her rear joints, but not yet enough to warrant major medication. I would agree, she ( the dog, not theVet) is still quite active on walks and frisbee chasing. Anyway, the vet recommended Glucosamine as a supplement. Aware that the research of its benefits in Humans has not demonstrated much impact, in spite of the hype by supplements companies; I checked it out for dogs. Similarly, most studies are equivocal at best with study reviews showing little or no overall improvement. Mostly down to owner Placebo effect.
Does anyone have experience of using joint supplements for their dogs? Anything you would recommend?
TIA
mel

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used green mussel extract on ours as a supplement until they were 12. But whilst they were still active I cannot sate categorically if it benefitted them. One had bad meningitis in 2015 which left her with some spinal stiffness. Since then she has been receiving regular catrophen injections and until old age started to kick in 12 months ago she could still do long walks. We use Loxicam to ease arthritis pain. She has one dose in the evenings. The other Springer started catrophen 3 years ago when she had a TTA procedure to repair a badly damaged cruciate ligament. She can still out walk the other one but arthritis is catching up on her, but only has the monthly catrophen. She can still jump up where she’s not allowed. They will be 16 years soon, but age has caught up with them; and their owner, but catrophen isn’t licensed for me 😂

50304626-32F6-4139-BF04-992A985E1F94.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch and Mel
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We used green mussel extract on ours as a supplement until they were 12. But whilst they were still active I cannot sate categorically if it benefitted them. One had bad meningitis in 2015 which left her with some spinal stiffness. Since then she has been receiving regular catrophen injections and until old age started to kick in 12 months ago she could still do long walks. We use Loxicam to ease arthritis pain. She has one dose in the evenings. The other Springer started catrophen 3 years ago when she had a TTA procedure to repair a badly damaged cruciate ligament. She can still out walk the other one but arthritis is catching up on her, but only has the monthly catrophen. She can still jump up where she’s not allowed. They will be 16 years soon, but age has caught up with them; and their owner, but catrophen isn’t licensed for me 😂

View attachment 3032
Glad to see that your dog is doing well and appears so relaxed on the sofa, nice that the medication is making so much difference and she is comfortable. Our own dog aged thirteen appears to be showing signs of this condition and may decide to try your route with her to ease these later years.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Ours has some glucosamine in his normal every day food; didn't stop him snapping his cruciate ligament though! Full recovery after a v successful op thank fully. The forums all rave about Yumove which we'll go to if he starts looking creaky but at the mo he seems to have reverted to puppy status after his surgery-maybe it was hurting for longer than we thought?

Reactions: Mel
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We bought Ymove for Rex, but he hated it, Vio vet do great deals, Rex would rather have a daily swim and a 2 mile walk to the pub. But was only 12 years old, mongeral ( labradoor mum /Standard poodle dad)

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The one on the sofa had the TTA procedure for a very badly damaged cruciate ligament which had to be removed. She had the op nearly three years ago but recently her hip arthritis has started to affect her back legs. The metal work in her knee probably rivals that recently inserted into Dusty.

• Haha
Reactions: JezzerB and Hutch
Aug 6, 2022
Visit site
I know I'm a bit late , but if it doesn't help you , it may help someone else. We used to have shih-tzu's many years ago and one had bad arthritis and I gave him glucosomine and chondroitin. I told the vet what I was giving the dog and she checked it out on the computer and said that she could not prescribe anything better. This was about 15 years ago so although there was an improvement with my dog, things move on and they may have something better now.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
For my own osteo-arthritis I've used glucosamine, chondroitin and green-mussel extract at various times but never noticed any improvement.

• Sad
Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts