Goatfell Farm CL

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering has anyone stayed at Goatfell Farm (nr. Leek)
Been looking for a quiet site
I have read the reviews they sound really good
Looking at a map
Easy access to Ashbourne
Sheltered or open pitches

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
We stayed there a couple of times last year as it's relatively close to home.

Use the A50 west from the M1 to near Sudbury, then north on the A515 to the outskirts of Ashbourne, then west on the A52 but go straight on along the A523 to Bottomhouse, then north up the B5053 and the site is on the right - watch out for speed cameras between Ashbourne and Bottomhouse, they can catch the unwary out on the downhills into the villages.

You can check the layout if to find the site on Google Earth, all the pitches are a decent size with the two on the west side backing up to Leylandii trees which block the late afternoon / early evening sun - the three on the east side aren't shaded as much and most people pitch inwards facing the two paddocks. The one paddock can be used for dog exercise, the other had sheep last year. Each pitch has EHU, fresh water and waste drain.

Leek and Ashbourne are easy to get to but traffic in Ashbourne is always horrendous and even worse at weekends and market days - Leek is nearer, with supermarkets etc but not much else to recommend it..

The local area is nice, the Staffordshire part of the Peak District being much quieter than the better-known Derbyshire part - there are nice walks along the Manifold Trail (ex-Leek & Manifold Light Railway) and Monsal Trail (ex-Midland main line railway) which are good for pedestrians, cyclists and mobility scooters. You can also walk along the Caldon Canal which parallels the Churnet Valley Heritage Railway but parts may be unsuitable for a mobility scooter and may be best to take the train.

The Cottage Kitchen Country Cafe is close by the site with a good reputation - try the local delicacy, Staffordshire Oatcakes filled with your choice - there is an original "hole-in-the-wall" oatcake shop in Leek, just opposite Argos, if you want to try some with your own fillings - open from early am to lunchtime.

Can't really advise on pubs as I'm teetotal now!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Reactions: Beachball
Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
try the local delicacy, Staffordshire Oatcakes filled with your choice - there is an original "hole-in-the-wall" oatcake shop in Leek, just opposite Argos, if you want to try some with your own fillings - open from early am to lunchtime.
Forget the staffs version of an oatcake - they're too thin and greasy - go for the Derbyshire ones - alot more to them and they grill ever so well on a cadac! Plenty to see and do in the area, as it's on our doorstep.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Forget the staffs version of an oatcake - they're too thin and greasy - go for the Derbyshire ones - alot more to them and they grill ever so well on a cadac! Plenty to see and do in the area, as it's on our doorstep.
We'll have to agree to differ on the oatcakes!

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We stayed there a couple of times last year as it's relatively close to home.

Use the A50 west from the M1 to near Sudbury, then north on the A515 to the outskirts of Ashbourne, then west on the A52 but go straight on along the A523 to Bottomhouse, then north up the B5053 and the site is on the right - watch out for speed cameras between Ashbourne and Bottomhouse, they can catch the unwary out on the downhills into the villages.

You can check the layout if to find the site on Google Earth, all the pitches are a decent size with the two on the west side backing up to Leylandii trees which block the late afternoon / early evening sun - the three on the east side aren't shaded as much and most people pitch inwards facing the two paddocks. The one paddock can be used for dog exercise, the other had sheep last year. Each pitch has EHU, fresh water and waste drain.

Leek and Ashbourne are easy to get to but traffic in Ashbourne is always horrendous and even worse at weekends and market days - Leek is nearer, with supermarkets etc but not much else to recommend it..

The local area is nice, the Staffordshire part of the Peak District being much quieter than the better-known Derbyshire part - there are nice walks along the Manifold Trail (ex-Leek & Manifold Light Railway) and Monsal Trail (ex-Midland main line railway) which are good for pedestrians, cyclists and mobility scooters. You can also walk along the Caldon Canal which parallels the Churnet Valley Heritage Railway but parts may be unsuitable for a mobility scooter and may be best to take the train.

The Cottage Kitchen Country Cafe is close by the site with a good reputation - try the local delicacy, Staffordshire Oatcakes filled with your choice - there is an original "hole-in-the-wall" oatcake shop in Leek, just opposite Argos, if you want to try some with your own fillings - open from early am to lunchtime.

Can't really advise on pubs as I'm teetotal now!
Hi Roger thanks for all of the information gratefully received when we go in a few weeks time :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
BB is booked to go there later this month - the 3 pitches on the east side are indeed best pitched front first - but when we were there motorhomes didn't bother.
Been in contact with the owner he trying to keep me Pitch 1 and would i be better pitch front in .for views.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We will try staffs and Derbyshire of this oatcake and see what they taste like :D

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Now herein lies my dilemma?
I love a CL /CS FSP . An on-site toilet or bathroom is of no consequence. But with Covid still rife do I really want to follow the yellow brick road to the throne in the middle of the night? No thanks

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I love a CL /CS FSP . An on-site toilet or bathroom is of no consequence. But with Covid still rife do I really want to follow the yellow brick road to the throne in the middle of the night? No thanks
According to the US CDC in a paper published quite a while back the chance of catching Covid by contact is less than 1 in 10000 compared to aerosol transmission. Given that toilets and shower blocks are so well ventilated you are more at risk of hyperthermia or pneumonia when using them. But a pub…….🍷😂

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well i suffer with a bad stomach so i prefer the toilet onsite facilities ;)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I rang the site and explained what was going on and with the car not 100% our safely and other road users must come first have arrange another booking in the future ,
The owners of the site thanks us for letting them know,

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts