God and I have regular board meetings.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Just think along the lines of Dave Allen when he closed his shows with those words "May your God be with you". I took this as meaning there is more than one God and it all depends on your religion and beliefs.

I am a member of a well known gentleman's society where by we are told to worship your idol. When I questioned this the reply was that if your wife is your idol then worship her. It was left to the individual to define the term "idol".

I am also a believer and think that etiquette dictates that politics and religion should not be discussed on an open forum unless it is related to one or both of these topics. Therefore on this belief I will sign off.
The worship of idols as preached by the 'well known gentleman's society' is for secular purposes Colin and really has nothing to do with religion (or Christianity).

The gentlemen squarely acknowledge creation however by their references to The Great Architect.

All that this means is that brethren who practice different religions are not debarred from membership of the society on religious grounds.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John (me)

Taking you interpretation of "chill" then as you cannot believe anything that is written, why are you bothering to read and respond to these threads? This forum is a place for passing on information, what is the point of writing something that needs to be disregarded?

I don't consider it to be 'preaching' to point out activities that are illegal. I do not believe I have 'criminalised' the act of breaking a speed limit, but if you do break one you are guilty of the offence and what ever implications that may have.

As I have commented on Nicks postings above, This thread has been focusing on the exceeding speed limits, and has not looked at the implications for safety.

With exception of a command from a police officer, there is nothing in law that allows you to exceed the speed limit. Any lee-way shown is at the behest of the local police authority, which may choose a zero tolerance if they wish.

I fully agree that travelling at the speed limit may not necessarily be safe or wise. In some places the speed limit is inappropriately high for the road, and of course speed needs to be moderated in relation to the prevailing traffic and weather conditions, but that only applies to reducing speeds not exceeding the prevailing limits.

I also agree that in some places the prevailing speed limit could be higher without significantly affecting the safety road, but that belief does not authorise you to speed.

Your last sentence is fundamentally wrong. The drivers that stick to the speed limits do not cause havoc. The havoc is caused by those who are intent on exceeding the speed limits and frustrated by those who abide by the law.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've seen some weird and wonderful threads in my time but this one takes the biscuit.

We have God, dogs (apologies if you're dyslexic)disabled parking spaces and toilets, dog friendly parking spaces, a bit of atheism, engineering,the observance of speed limits and a very brief mention of children.

All we need now are windbreaks, noisy neighbours and travellers and we've got the full house!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've seen some weird and wonderful threads in my time but this one takes the biscuit.

We have God, dogs (apologies if you're dyslexic)disabled parking spaces and toilets, dog friendly parking spaces, a bit of atheism, engineering,the observance of speed limits and a very brief mention of children.

All we need now are windbreaks, noisy neighbours and travellers and we've got the full house!
Well Parksy why not introduce them, and lets have a summer party?

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
We have an illegal traveller site recently set up in our area, perhaps john l would like to preach to them?

Maybe point out the laws they are breaking?

I would love to see such an event, and while your at it john, maybe you check all the vin numbers?

And lets not forget to point out those illegal gas cylinders along with the gas hose that breaks the gas safe rules, or what ever rule applies?

G

Forgive me Prof ..

"Your last sentence is fundamentally wrong. The drivers that stick to the speed limits do not cause havoc. The havoc is caused by those who are intent on exceeding the speed limits and frustrated by those who abide by the law."

As it is my fault for not explaining myself better, I should have mention the word "safe" in my statement.

What i meant to say was it would be silly to assume people who speed are unsafe and dangerous, and if you slow down and abide the speed limit, somehow you are a safe driver!

This is not the case, many extremely bad drivers stick to the speed limits yet drive inappropriately and thus cause havoc and accidents.

The term, undue care and attention springs to mind, not something you can measure with a stop watch, but apparently more a hazard then speeding motorists.

So for me a speeding motorist [within reason] is not an hazard, on the other hand the numerous morons who pull in front of my lorry,less than a car length in front then break to get off a m/way junction are,and when they normally come by me they are not speeding, yet are a hindrance and a danger.

I could give numerous examples,but my point remains the same speeding [on the whole] does not automatically make you a safety hazard,and sticking to speed limits does not automatically make your and others around you safer....

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have an illegal traveller site recently set up in our area, perhaps john l would like to preach to them?

Maybe point out the laws they are breaking?

I would love to see such an event, and while your at it john, maybe you check all the vin numbers?

And lets not forget to point out those illegal gas cylinders along with the gas hose that breaks the gas safe rules, or what ever rule applies?
Thank you Ray,

Your doing a pretty good job at that all ready, so I shall leave it to you.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello John

As I have pointed out in several postings, I'm not making the case for or against the link between safety and speed, but the absolute fact that by exceeding the speed limit is illegal.

Exceeding the speed limit doe not necessarily make the speed unsafe, and equally, strictly adhering to the speed limits is not always a safe thing to do. appropriate speed for the prevailing conditions is what you should be aiming for up to but not exceeding the speed limit.

What is an appropriate speed is always open to interpretation, but an absolute limit is not.

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
certain phrases sum up religon and thats why I am totally agnostic on the side of athest,

"a man that talks to god is said to be religious but a man that says god talks to him is a lunatic"

"if there is a god why is there so much suffering in the world"

"clerics's are said to be paupers so why suround themselves in wealth"

"every time there is a imposible to answer question posed someone says "god knows" if this is right why does it not tell us"

ah but then god would be talking to us which makes us lunatics or maybe we are that allready.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
As expected this thread appears to have disintegrated into a series of disjointed assertions and opinions.

Unless there is anything more profound,cosmic or constructive to add it's time to call it a day on this one folks.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Innapropriate speed or Speed Kills.

Since i doubt anyone of you have been involved in a fatal incident, and most of you believe that you know how to drive a car, understand its handling and limits, or even had your eyes tested in the last 12 months, and simply have decided you are a good driver as you have abs, radar, eyes your arse , that kind of thing , or possbily drive a BMW or Volvo( thats why motorways have 3 lanes, the third lane is reseved for BMWand Volvo drivers),and believe me , most drivers think they can drive , but they can not.

the story

A long time ago when i was 25 ( im now 48 and i used to race renault clio's and reault 5's on the race track) i saw an accident.

A young lad ran out into the road and was hit by car doing 38 in 30 zone.

The boy , 14 years old was lifted into the air, his head hit the windscreen of the car , he then bounced off the roof and perhaps , after gaining a height of around 15' hit the road.

The initial impact did not kill him, the windscreen did not kill him, what did kill him was his skull cracking open as his head it the road and his brain came out.

If the driver had been travelling at 30mph the youth would not have been flung over the car , but would have bounced off it, probably breaking his pelvis and legs, but would have survived.

I can still see his head hitting the road. I still have nightnmares about it...

SO GET OF YOUR HIGH HORSES AND STOP BEING SELFISH AND CONSIDER ALL THE OTHER ROAD USERS.

NEXT TIME YOU GET IN YOUR CAR , INSTEAD OF AN AIRBAG IMAGE HOW YOU WOULD DRIVE IF YOU HAD A 12" SPIKE STICKING OUT OF THE CENTRE OF YOUR STEERING WHEEL.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
But if the driver was doing 48mph he would have missed the boy altogether?

Clearly if the child was taught how to cross the road safely, he may now still be alive?

Just another view point.

i once hit a pedestrian, he was drunk, had i been driving quicker i would have missed him, but i suppose the following car would have got him?

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
RAY

i hit kid @65 mph on duelcarige way on xmas eve some years back the kid lived how i dont know car was a wreck it turns out thay were playing chickin so icant see that going faster would help

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
But if the driver was doing 48mph he would have missed the boy altogether?

Clearly if the child was taught how to cross the road safely, he may now still be alive?

Just another view point.

i once hit a pedestrian, he was drunk, had i been driving quicker i would have missed him, but i suppose the following car would have got him?
It is not the top speed, but the average speed. How often does one flow with the traffic, keeping ones distance and then along comes a nutter risking life and limb for a few extra yards. I always let them pass, better to have the nutters where I can see them. Of course when the traffic slows down, say for a town, there they are only a few cars in front.

By the way this works with bikers as well. All those who sit on your tail flying by full of adrenalin. Well, they can get way ahead, but then they have to pull in to rest a recuparate. Just look at lay bys and garages on any Sunday. Always bikers in them

I am speaking as one of the rare breed of non speeding bikers who manages to ride for a couple or hours or so before a stop.

God made man, man made religion. (well God lit the blue touch paper for the big bang and natural selection did the rest)

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Sometimes its just bad luck, you would have probably got him what ever speed you was doing.

Every year a local pond claims a child via drowning, signs say don't swim, perhaps they cant read?

G

Philspadders.

I have mentioned this before on this site.

September 11 2006. my eldest lad [RIP] and just a month short of his twentieth birthday was a front passenger in a peugeot 306, that lost control coming off the m/way at junction 24 of the M1.

The driver lost control as he entered the A6 towards Kegworth and ended up on the other side of the road as a car was approaching and the car hit the passenger side of the peugeot.

My son died at 1am Friday September 15th 2006.

The driver was not speeding! [this is what the police said at the inquest] the driver was actually not charged with squat all!

I think you should get off your high horse!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts