Going abroad

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Hello Anne,

Calais has a dual carriageway that runs straight in to the port, this road is protected by high fencing with sharp barbs. I have found that you can travel at 50mph along this road making it impossible for anyone to interfere with you. If by any chance you have to stop, then make sure you keep your eyes on your mirrors to ensure no one creeps up on your van.

One point on your return is to stay in a proper campsite with security, to check your van over before leaving the site, and to make sure it is empty & secure before you leave.

My advice is to go, as I am doing on at least two occaisions this year, the rewards are great for touring. The roads are less populated and the variety of scenery in France and beyond, is well worth the effort. If you are new to touring europe and are going outside the main holiday periods then look at joining ACSI which give low site pricing during the quiet periods. Just type that in on your computer and it will come up.

Finally be vigilant at all times, but don't worry too much, just do it.

Good luck

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Anne, totally agree with George, we are going over, in three weeks time, without van to Switzerland and again in July back in September, around France. We use Dunkirk, as we prefer the route, the road is straight from the main highways, into a new secure dock area, we normally pitch up between one or two hours away from Dunkirk on return, Camping St Claire, in Neufchantel en Bray, or Montreul, clercs des fontains, If you are going to use the paeges, the Saneff tolling tag is well worth getting. A lot of people dont bother.
They have sniffer dogs at both ports and border control always check out the inside of our caravan.
Have fun, I will post again on my return first week in April.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I concur with the others, Anne. Go and do it! We take at least six weeks every year, traveling via Dunkirk, and stopping for the first couple of nights at Camping le Chaumiere, which is only 40 minutes from the port. Also very handy if you have dogs.
We have only once "done " Calais, two years ago, and much prefer the Dunkirk crossing, not only because of the problems, but because Dunkirk is a much more pleasant town than Calais.
Please don't let the troubles put you off Anne; you will miss out on a wonderful experience, regardless of where you go in Europe.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi we've been over twice and we've had no bother at all. We used Dover to Calais and is great . We use the shuttle and it was great too , much quicker than the ferry. Like Hutch says in the post before mine look into getting the saneff tag for the toll roads we used it last year , saves you time and beat lots of queues .
Enjoy your first time abroad touring .
Happy caravaning .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Depends on where you live in UK and where you are going in Europe but do some research and consider the Western crossings eg from Portsmouth Poole Plymouth. The approaches are generally easiier than the Dover area. The French ports they connect with do not seem to have any immigrant problems and the whole thing a bit more relaxed

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
There is also the Newhaven Dieppe, route, 4 hour crossing, but about +£ 100 more expensive, but if your worried about Calais.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi We go over to Europe every year for 2/3 months departing in April and back in June. We have always travelled with the Eurotunnel and find it suits our needs better than a Ferry. Over the past 13 years after visiting 14 countries we have now settled on our favorites and travel through Belgium to German, Austria and Holland. We always use ACSI and have done since its introduction in 2004. Have a look at my website below and you may find some places you would like to visit.

We are booked and are off middle of April. Will be Writing our log on the website as we go along. If you have any questions please ask will be pleased to help.
DianneT

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
RayS said:
Depends on where you live in UK and where you are going in Europe but do some research and consider the Western crossings eg from Portsmouth Poole Plymouth. The approaches are generally easiier than the Dover area. The French ports they connect with do not seem to have any immigrant problems and the whole thing a bit more relaxed

We usually travel from Calais to Dover, but in July last year came back through Le Havre to Portsmouth, and the caravan, and car were thoroughly searched inside and out, swabs taken from outside and from the steering wheel, and we were told that this was two fold - migrants had been found in Portsmouth, and also explosives were being searched for!

Coming back through Calais yesterday all vehicles were walked around with a sniffer dog, but there was no sign of problems despite them bulldozing part of 'The Jungle' in Calais. No migrants were visible anywhere, and their temporary shelters under autoroute bridges had also disappeared.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
A much more thorough search than us at Calais ! The officer only checked my gas was off ! I asked if he wanted to be inside and said no. Phew I thought at the 7o / 8o bottles off wine neatly packed away !! :woohoo:

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We go over twice a year the first time is Portsmouth to Caen and the second time is Tunnel out and Caen Portsmouth back. We have never had any problems on any trips. At the moment we are on the ferry from Caen, apart from checking the passports there has been no security checks at all. We did notice that there were more Police patrols just outside of the port on the beach.

Les

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just came back from Switzerland, no caravan, Dunkirk totally clear. But for info, my Saneff toll , for Calais to Switzerland was €50 so with a caravan probably €65. Not bad if you want to cover a lot of distance in one day.

May 21, 2016
Visit site
midweek is best and no nightimes they are the worst. went via tunnel may travelled west and there were none around. we did travel around towards the ferry port, which can be where a lot of problems occur but everything was flowing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts