Going Away Tomorrow.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Stopping at a site near Chapel Saint Leonards we have book a hard standing service pitch ...
The one concern i have is the Vango Porch air awning (First Time)
Has anyone else put one up on here ( Mel)
i am worried about this windy weather . / Towing
Any information would be great ...

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Stopping at a site near Chapel Saint Leonards we have book a hard standing service pitch ...
The one concern i have is the Vango Porch air awning (First Time)
Has anyone else put one up on here ( Mel)
i am worried about this windy weather . / Towing
Any information would be great ...
The air awnings around us are okay with plenty of guy ropes attached. I would wait until the wind has eased to put it up. The forecasts show it getting better later today and into Saturday.
Regarding towing only you can judge that one but any concerns either delay departure or if en route slow down.

Reactions: Beachball

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
It is very windy, but once it is up, should be OK as long as you have decent pegs. Ours has been OK in strong winds, with 12 inch pegs. I would agree with other clive, getting put up is another matter and you will be trying to manage a heavy and flapping awning. I would have a cup of tea and wait.
good luck
mel

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The air awnings around us are okay with plenty of guy ropes attached. I would wait until the wind has eased to put it up. The forecasts show it getting better later today and into Saturday.
Regarding towing only you can judge that one but any concerns either delay departure or if en route slow down.
Hi otherclive i will be using 50mph roads so i just reduce my speed (Arrival time on site after 1pm) i am putting 4 storm straps to make it secured on the air porch Thanks for input

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It is very windy, but once it is up, should be OK as long as you have decent pegs. Ours has been OK in strong winds, with 12 inch pegs. I would agree with other clive, getting put up is another matter and you will be trying to manage a heavy and flapping awning. I would have a cup of tea and wait.
good luck
mel
i have the Vango pegs but i also got better pegs if i need them i will be putting Storm straps x4 it probably be around 2.30pm before put the awning up so i hope this wind died down a bit (I am pleased you have got back to me because you have same vango awning but different in size) , cup of tea sounds good
Thanks for your input

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
There's an air awning on a pitch close to ours which is fine despite there being 60mph gusts of wind during the night here.
It's pegged down well and it's guy ropes are all taught but it doesn't appear to have any storm straps.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
There's an air awning on a pitch close to ours which is fine despite there being 60mph gusts of wind during the night here.
It's pegged down well and it's guy ropes are all taught but it doesn't appear to have any storm straps.
Hi Parksy that good to know must mean it can stay up in windy conditions that put my mind at rest but i be putting the Storm Straps x4 ( to make sure) .. Thanks for your information ...

Reactions: Parksy
May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lot depends on how good your match is when towing in wind. Slowing down helps and watching out for places where side winds might hit such as coming out from bridges and the end of hills at the side. It also helps if you can establish if there are sites on the route where you can stop if things get too hairy.
Personally I would say 30 mph is the point at which I would say no.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A lot depends on how good your match is when towing in wind. Slowing down helps and watching out for places where side winds might hit such as coming out from bridges and the end of hills at the side. It also helps if you can establish if there are sites on the route where you can stop if things get too hairy.
Personally I would say 30 mph is the point at which I would say no.

If you use the BBC Weather app you see winds speeds like where I am now at 19 mph in a white circle. But if the wind speed increases to 20 mph the circle will turn black and show 40 mph. This is because an average wind speed of 20 mph can have gusts double the average. So for the higher wind speeds like we’re we are today the average or steady is 19 mph with predicted gusts of 38 mph. Not everyone appreciates this on forecasts.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
It helps to know the wind direction as well as speed - head/tail winds aren't too troublesome but it's the gusts associated with cross winds that can cause real issues.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It helps to know the wind direction as well as speed - head/tail winds aren't too troublesome but it's the gusts associated with cross winds that can cause real issues.
Hi RogerL i would agree with you the lethal cross winds they can give you real issues . but i will take care .
Thanks for your input

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi all arrive at 1.30 pm
Just took it steady with the towing
The Air awning has not gone up because it is very windy here and the site owner said two awnings had come down last night .

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Glad you got there safely Beachball. No rush on the awning. Wait until tomorrow, the wind should have eased off by then ( although it might be raining 🙁)
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts