Going off grid.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes thats what we have done, before retirment we went to France every 12 weeks for a month, all planned in winter but summer just went, . Now it is fit in the caravanning between hospital, visits etc. Locally ( 50 miles) we have , non ehu pitches available towards the end of week. We dont book 2 month ahead, to much unpredictability, for us. Maybe we should but that is just not us..
The dog loves getting out in the snow early mornings from the caravan, in the winter.
Your situation is the exact opposite of what ours was. We had to book ahead to align with our daughters work and university commitments and our granddaughter school and after school care. But the schedule never ran smoothly so we then had to make short notice changes and cut plans short. It was absolute heaven when I was working as I had control of our lives😀

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
Just a thought but if you are worried why not go to your normal site and just not plug in. That way you still have a back up plan. Last summer 17 consecutive nights of grid 3 different sites. Site fees £158

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought but if you are worried why not go to your normal site and just not plug in. That way you still have a back up plan. Last summer 17 consecutive nights of grid 3 different sites. Site fees £158
Thanks Boff, I have thought about that, I have a site not too far away at a local pub, Rose and Crown , Ridgemont, Bedfordshire, would be ideal for jus doing that.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So my caravan has , according to the handbook, a smart charger, so during the life of my caravan I changed my old lead acid battery, which I thought was sealed, it wasn't I dried it out after 5 years, (muppet), got home after 6 weeks away in France and battery failed on the drive at 2.30 am.
Changed it for another an AGM lasted 3 years, now have a silver calcium flooded battery (yuassa) but confused about the graph below.
Screenshot_2022-07-23-22-35-57.png

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
My latest battery(flooded sealed) silver Calcium. sits at 12.61 volts for 4 weeks un connected, but on latest service, battery load check states 75 % . I am happy with it on ehu but off grid A bit dodgy. I think as Boff suggests , go to my cl with the pub and EHU but go off grid.
20220724_181133.jpg

Aug 30, 2018
Visit site
I think that, that chart shows the voltages vs State of charge of a battery, that is rested and disconnected. If you took a fully charged healthy battery and measured the voltage while running your motormover it isn’t going to read 12.6V. Your figure of 12.61 v for a disconnected battery is good. I wouldn’t necessarily believe the results of the service

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts