Good dealer...

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm new to this caravanning lark, having recently bought a 1996 Lunar Planet Eclipse privately, picked up a bit of a bargain by all accounts. Planning to take it away for the first time over the bank holiday weekend, I bought a second hand awning from a caravan shop named after the peak district town it is based in.

So I arrived at RAF Barkston Heath (for the BMFA Internationals - lots of caravanners) on Friday night at 9pm, so it was dark. Pitched up the van. All fine there. Unpack the awning.

Not looking quite big enough. I had bought a 965cm awning for a 961cm space. Should be fine, right? So we try and put the awning up and...

Noooo, it was at least three feet too short :(

So I went back to the dealer today, explained my predicament, they asked how the 965cm awning could be too small, so they opened it up, measured it and lo and behold - an 865cm awning. Computer error.

They were absolutely brilliant, no quibbles, they took the awning back and replaced it with a more expensive awning, supplied me with cups of tea whilst I waited, measured it, checked it. All sorted within an hour.

So thumbs up to Glossop Caravans. Yes, it slightly inconvenienced our break but I did not have to raise my voice, raise hell or use words like "fit for purpose" or "sale of goods act". Mistakes happen, and kudos to them for recognising that straight away.

And as for my 'bit of a bargain' caravan. The toilet doesn't flush and the battery doesn't charge when towed, but all else fine :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Always good to hear of a dealer giving good service, most times it is complaints.
As for the charging issue when towing, it is more than likely as the van is 96, the 12S plug is wired in the old convention and needs rewiring to th enew convention.
The toilet flush,,,,,,may be a fuse or pump, or microswitch if its an electric operated system, or broken bellows if manual

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll have a look at the wiring convention thing - the towcar is a 2008 with a 13pin socket, then a 13 pin to two 7 pin converter cable which connects to the two 7 pin plugs on the van.

I did a slight dismantling of the toilet and found the 3A fuse was blown, so I replaced it but still no flush. The flusher is a round disc on the side of the bog, twist to open the hole to hell, press to flush. Pressing it definately seems to operate a switch, but without the follow on water and no noises either.

Oh, and I ran out of water mid-shower. The joys of caravanning :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From what you have posted relating to the toilet, the fact the 3amp fuse had blown indicates that it is the pump which is at fault and needs changing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
chopper said:
They were absolutely brilliant, no quibbles, they took the awning back and replaced it with a more expensive awning, supplied me with cups of tea whilst I waited, measured it, checked it. All sorted within an hour.

So thumbs up to Glossop Caravans. Yes, it slightly inconvenienced our break but I did not have to raise my voice, raise hell or use words like "fit for purpose" or "sale of goods act". Mistakes happen, and kudos to them for recognising that straight away.

Your are perhaps the first person I have ever seen on a forum praise Glossop Caravans - most I read have had very bad experiences with them, us included. Would never use them again to buy a van (not sure about an awning).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts