Good news for Elddis (Erwin Hymer Group owners re towing with commercials

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A GVW of 3500kg may be the cut-off point for a commercial vehicle in the UK, but it's not so in Europe, hence my question.

Depending on the model, the VW Caddy, for example, can be classed either as a commercial vehicle or as a private car. The panel van is rated as a commercial vehicle, other variants aren't.
Similarly some pick ups such a Ford Ranger can be under 3500kg or over depending on the specific model in the range. This will also affect the vehicles speed limits in UK.

Reactions: ProfJohnL

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Hot air comes in many forms. Elddis caravans have been towed by 4x4s for years. I have never heard of a warranty being turned down for such a reason.
Now, if towed by a truck......

Reactions: JezzerB

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hot air comes in many forms. Elddis caravans have been towed by 4x4s for years. I have never heard of a warranty being turned down for such a reason.
Now, if towed by a truck......

I did not assume that the OP or Hymer was referring to warranty claims. More it was giving guidance on the suitability or otherwise and usage advice on various tow vehicles. Something enduring and as relevant, long after a warranty; good sound handbook info.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I did not assume that the OP or Hymer was referring to warranty claims. More it was giving guidance on the suitability or otherwise and usage advice on various tow vehicles. Something enduring and as relevant, long after a warranty; good sound handbook info.

Fair enough. However, I doubt many Buccaneers are towed by saloons or estates as the Elddis manual also recommends "the 85% guidance."

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The point on the Caddy is probably irrelevant as it is unlikely to be towing a caravan of the size that would suffer. From being involved in insurance claims chassis problems tended to be suffered by the longer twin axle caravans which suffer more stress when being towed. There are presumably some smaller models that have suffered but I never came across any. We did insure the local Trophy dealer and this helped us see a fair number of claims as their aluminium chassis was a particular problem.
I suspect that the pickups like Jezzerb's Nav have softened over the years as they have ended becoming more of a leisure vehicle than a commercial one, although given their carrying capacity they do need a more resilient suspension. Possibly technical improvements have helped the makers to improve the comfort aspect.
The engineer who used to service our caravan did say that the Hobby's towed by travelers Transit vans did often suffer from broken chassis, which tends to confirm my point.
Yes our current Nav has the new last year dual rate rear suspension(which is multilink).

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts