Goodbye Mondeo

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Ford have now announced that the Mondeo is to go and will not be replaced as saloons and estate cars are no longer big sellers. having seen this I did check out what there is locally and realised that out of 35 cars the neighbours have there were only two estate cars, one saloon, that is mine, and a BMW 5 series convertible which I am not sure counts. The rest were either hatchbacks or SUV's so may be they are right. Is the saloon now doomed?

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The saloon has been doomed for decades, it's just dying slowly - there was a time when even cars like Nova and Astra had saloon versions, not that popular here but very popular in Eastern Europe - Ford withdrew the Scorpio because of poor sales and despite the lack of competition, Opel/Vauxhall withdrew the Omega a few years after.

As far as the mass market goes, crossovers are the future.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have had three Mondeos. A Mk1 estate petrol circa 1993, a 2000 1.8 tdi estate and 2000 2.0 diesel hatch. All fine cars to drive. My wife got her hatchback after her beloved Saab 9000 was hit hard enough to write it off.
I like estate cars and my daughter likes them even more as Dad can then transport her stuff and BQ purchases backwards and forwards for her .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts