Got a van!

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Hi all
Got a van after trawling through endless ads.
It's an Abbey expression 500,2005.
One owner from new, regularly serviced til last year.
We obviously know how to hitch and unhitch, as we brought it home, and I know how to deal with the loo, but can't remember much else they told me!
Got a service booked soon and have requested a tutorial lol.
Expect many questions from now on. :huh:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:
Hi all
We obviously know how to hitch and unhitch, as we brought it home, and I know how to deal with the loo, but can't remember much else they told me!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:
Hi all

Sounds like you have made a good buy. Did the owner not do a damp check prior to offering it for sale? If not keep fingers crossed.
Get some sites booked and enjoy your new hobby.

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
No, but I took a damp meter, and all seemed fine. Also no smell, or sign of damp, and no smell of air freshener!
We're going quite local for a couple of days after service, and then hopefully make it to Portugal in May.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:
No, but I took a damp meter, and all seemed fine. Also no smell, or sign of damp, and no smell of air freshener!
We're going quite local for a couple of days after service, and then hopefully make it to Portugal in May.
Having the damp meter was a useful move. However every van I’ve had has had damp yet non smelt. You might get little clues such as minor almost imperceptible unevenness in wall coverings, or slight staining. If it smells of damp it is generally because it is far gone to the extent that the affected areas would require significant rip out and rebuild.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you used a damp meter and found none I would not worry. Not all caravans have damp.
If you need a manual check out https://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/owners/handbooks
It should help with potential problems.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
WinnieSophie said:

I'm with the rest to and congratulations on your new van , I like the bit where you say keeping it local ..... then Portugal !! That's one hell of a commute ain't it ?!?! :eek:hmy:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
No end of useful (and useless ) videos on you tube. May help you with the bits you forgot. Enjoy.
Mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations on your purchase.

I don't want rain on your parade, but like otherclive I'm a might concerned about your damp results. The internal wall covering is usually an impervious vinyl, and unless your damp meter probes breaks through the surface and into the wood beneath, you will get a false reading.

Wood has a natural moisture level as it will absorb some from the surrounding air, and you should expect to see about a 15% reading which is absolutely fine. But a zero reading must be taken to mean the probes have not broken the surface.

I hope my concerns are unfounded and you have good caravan and will enjoy your new adventure.

Mar 8, 2019
Visit site
Yes I understand. I did get a couple of 6% readings, but I may not have pushed hard enough.
Well it'll be having a damp test soon, so I'll find out shortly.
The last service was in 2017, and had a couple of 8 and 10% readings from the damp test, but looking at the report, they didn't seem to be too bad. The owner always had any remedial work carried out.
Anyway I'll hope for the best.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts